[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Compressed Video Transport Requirements

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (02/08/91)

> From: barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin)
> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
> Subject: Re: summary on transferring motion picture over IP
> Date: 6 Feb 91 21:08:42 GMT
>
> I think
> it is safe to expect that a protocol for real-time digital video
> transmission would use compression techniques.  ... within a frame you
> can do quite well with techniques based on run-length encoding and/or
> extrapolation.  And the differences between successive frames are generally
> very small, so I would expect the protocol to only send the changes, rather
> than entire frames.  And if the compression algorithm makes use of good
> image processing techniques, it could even recognize shifts of the entire
> background (very common, due to camera panning) and send a short encoding
> to compensate for it, rather than sending all the pixel-by-pixel
> differences.  Colors can be encoded in fewer bits, using color maps
> (sending only the changes as they occur) and/or Huffman coding.

	I was impressed by Van Jacobson's 40-to-1 compression of TCP,
using detailed information about the structure of TCP.  I'm sure that
something similar is possible for video sequences, using detailed
information about the structure of video.

	The fascinating thing to me about compressed video is that
real-time compressed video transfer dynamics will probably be nothing
like uncompressed video or voice data streams.  What is the maximum
instantaneous bandwidth required to support these efficient real-time
compression techniques?  Do efficiently compressed video datastreams
require reliable transport or minimum latency variation?  What maximum
latency and delay variance can they accept and still work acceptably
in real time?  What effect does lossage or error have on the final
image?

	I would be interested in leads to research on what expected
real-time compressed video technology will minimally demand of the
underlying network.  Does efficiently compressed video still require
ST, for instance?

	--Kent

dotytr@NSCULTRIX1.NETWORK.COM (Ted R. Doty) (02/18/91)

I think that there are two problems with *REAL TIME* video: variation of
delay and synchronization.  If the delay between packets varries too much,
the picture would jump (like the strobe lights at your old disco parties)
like crazy, causing Excedrin headache #423.  if you have synchronization
problems (voice and video arriving out of sync), it looks like a badly
dubbed movie (remember the Hercules skitt on Saturday Night Live?).  Either
way you irritate the users.

Note that ethernet doesn't look good for problem #1.  Maybe nothing is (FDDI
II?  Now how much would you pay ...).

I think these problems are not so severe if you're not going real-time.

I don't have references about video, but I do have some performance modeling
results of FDDI synchronous token stuff.  Send me your U.S. Postal address if
you want 'em (I only have hard copy).

- Ted

Ted Doty, Network Systems Corporation  |  phone:      +1 301 596-2270
8965 Guilford Rd./Suite 250            |  fax:        +1 301 381-3320
Columbia, MD 21046  USA                |  voice mail: (800) 233-1485 x4436
"These opinions are my own, and not necessarially those of Network Systems
Corporation."

gsb1@forth.stirling.ac.uk (Mr Gordon S Byron) (02/23/91)

Could you summarise your responses please as I am very interested in
where this technology is going, what we can reasonably expect from  it
within the next five years and how soon implementation would be
advisable. we have fibre optic cabling put in and hope to use
Compressed Video Transport as soon as it is finacially and technically
feasible.
Thanks for any responses

Snailmail: Gordon Byron,  Arts Computing Advisor,Pathfoot Building,
University of Stirling,FK9 4LA  Stirling, Scotland, UK.
Voice:  0786 73171: Ext 7266  Fax: +78651335