[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP over X25

bogaart@lager.serc.nl (Eugene Bogaart) (02/16/91)

I am wondering if there are sofware products which can route tcp/ip
into X.25 package over an asynchronous communication port (RS232C or
like wise) following the RFC 877 standard.

Several questions:

Are there any products which function known. I am particularly
interested in software for DEC/Ultrix, SunOS, HP9000 architectures ?

What is the maximum speed that is supported by such a product ? Most
kernels donot support very high speeds. Ultrix for instance does not
allow 19Kb or higher. Sun and HP do allow 19Kb transfer rates !

Descriptions of actual working configurations are of my interest. Am I
not interested in machine independent hardware solution such as a Cisco
box.

Thanks,

Eugene Bogaart

--

Name:     Eugene Bogaart | Software Engineering Research Centre
Email:   bogaart@serc.nl | Lange Viestraat 365  3511 BK Utrecht

In article <BOGAART.91Feb15151217@lager.serc.nl> bogaart@lager.serc.nl (Eugene  Bogaart) writes:
>I am wondering if there are sofware products which can route tcp/ip
>into X.25 package over an asynchronous communication port (RS232C or
>like wise) following the RFC 877 standard.
>
>Several questions:
>
>Are there any products which function known. I am particularly
>interested in software for DEC/Ultrix, SunOS, HP9000 architectures ?

SunLink X.25 implements RFC877 for SunOS.  The manual mentions one minor
difference between its implementation and the RFC, though.  Rather than
creating and clearing X.25 virtual circuits dynamically, they must be
created and cleared explicitly by using the x25enable and x25disable
commands.

>What is the maximum speed that is supported by such a product ? Most
>kernels donot support very high speeds. Ultrix for instance does not
>allow 19Kb or higher. Sun and HP do allow 19Kb transfer rates !

According to the manual, 19.2Kbps is the maximum speed using the CPU board
serial ports, but you can go up to 64Kbps using an MCP or SCP.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

eckert@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (02/18/91)

From article <1991Feb15.235715.21152@Think.COM>, by barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin):
-
->What is the maximum speed that is supported by such a product ? Most
->kernels donot support very high speeds. Ultrix for instance does not
->allow 19Kb or higher. Sun and HP do allow 19Kb transfer rates !
-
- According to the manual, 19.2Kbps is the maximum speed using the CPU board
- serial ports, but you can go up to 64Kbps using an MCP or SCP.

Real life experience: Sun3/50: 9.6kbps, Sun3/xx(other than 3/50): 19.2kbps,
Sun4/xxx: 64kbps - all over CPU ports. MCP ports 64kbps each, HSI 2Mbps.

The timing for asynchronuous operation is normally irrelevant for
HDLC, as the clock will normally be generated by the modem. Even if generated
by the Sun itself, the timing does not depend on the usual baud rate
table for the asynchronuous interfaces, so it's no problem running the
interfaces at higher speeds. The real problem is overrun, as all the
CPU board serial interfaces generate one interrupt for every 'character'
(i.e: 8 bit), so that's why a 3/50 can only achieve 9.600kbps. If you
try something higher, you'll get massive problems with HDLC RESETS, as
the interface looses interrupts and the HDLC link will constantly
reset.

On the other hand, the MCP board is (in my opinion) quite useless as
the guaranteed linkrate is only 64kbps, which you can aesily achieve
with the CPU ports of every sparc (except those cripled IPC's, if you
don't start soldering on the CPU board for the clock lines ;-)).

---

             Toerless.Eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
    /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=Eckert/G=Toerless
"unsupported configuration", "user misunderstanding", "not a bug, but a feature"
                   -- hotlines of the world unite --

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb17.163237.17152@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> eckert@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) writes:

>Real life experience: Sun3/50: 9.6kbps, Sun3/xx(other than 3/50): 19.2kbps,
>Sun4/xxx: 64kbps - all over CPU ports. MCP ports 64kbps each, HSI 2Mbps.

I know the documentation for Sun4 ports indicates 64Kbps max, however,
running the port at 19.2Kbps shows large numbers of underruns when various
tasks are running.
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626