[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SNA tunneling?

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/20/91)

Is anyone working on a standard for IP tunneling over SNA networks?
That is, given an existing SNA network, and a desire to use it for IP
transport, is there an equivalent to any of RFCs 1201, 1188, 1171,
1149, 1088, 1042, and 877?

(OK, I just mentioned 1149 to see if you were really watching :-)

allen@b11.ingr.com (John Allen) (02/28/91)

in article <BOB.91Feb19180852@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) says:

> Is anyone working on a standard for IP tunneling over SNA networks?
> That is, given an existing SNA network, and a desire to use it for IP
> transport, is there an equivalent to any of RFCs 1201, 1188, 1171,
> 1149, 1088, 1042, and 877?
>
> (OK, I just mentioned 1149 to see if you were really watching :-)

Harris - Adacom has TCP/IP over LU6.2.  Requires no software on the
IBM host.  I believe this is a UNIX-based box, it can act as a gateway
to connect remote TCP/IP LANs through an existing IBM Mainframe.

--
   *    O            .             John E. Allen              *
   *   /\__  ____@__   .  ingr!b23b!allen!jallen@uunet.uu.net *

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.152833.12503@b11.ingr.com>, allen@b11.ingr.com (John
Allen) says:

>in article <BOB.91Feb19180852@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com
>(Bob Sutterfield) says:
>>
>> Is anyone working on a standard for IP tunneling over SNA networks?
>> That is, given an existing SNA network, and a desire to use it for IP
>> transport, is there an equivalent to any of RFCs 1201, 1188, 1171,
>> 1149, 1088, 1042, and 877?
>>
>> (OK, I just mentioned 1149 to see if you were really watching :-)

>Harris - Adacom has TCP/IP over LU6.2.

As far as I am aware, IBM's TCP/IP For MVS can do this too (except it
uses LU_0 ) and it is called SNALINK.

ref: "TCP/IP For MVS Installation and Connections" form GG24-3412-00

/Pete
--
Peter M. Weiss                   | pmw1 @ PSUADMIN | psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm
31 Shields Bldg - PennState Univ.| ^ affiliated with psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.152833.12503@b11.ingr.com>, allen@b11.ingr.com (John Allen) says:
   in article <BOB.91Feb19180852@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) says:
      Is anyone working on a standard for IP tunneling over SNA
      networks?

   Harris - Adacom has TCP/IP over LU6.2...

and in private mail:

   Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 18:21:28 CST
   From: David Boyes <dboyes@brazos.rice.edu>

   The IBM TCP/IP for VM package already does this quite nicely. The
   SNALNK component of the software opens a LU0...

   From: Paul Sergeant <paulus@convex.mitek.com>
   Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 10:09:33 CST

   IBM's ... SNALINK ... for MVS and VM.  This connects TCP/IP
   networks using LU0 connections.  Each IBM mainframe must have
   TCP/IP installed for this to work.

   OpenConnect Systems ... an IP level router ... called OCIR,
   encapsulates TCP/IP or UDP/IP in an LU 6.2 frame ... OCIR also can
   emulate IBM's SNALINK, so it can connect via IBM's TCP/IP.

   Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 17:56:51 EST
   From: rlg@ida.org (Randy garrett)

   I also found a company called Brixton that has a card for the Sun
   that translates IP into something understandable to a 3745...

There are several implementations, using disparate schemes, but no
standards.  The schemes about which there's any detail use either LU0
or LU6.2 transports, as expected.  But unless one explicitly emulates
another, there's no guarantee that their encapsulation methods will
interoperate, even if they picked the same LU transport.  Caveat
Emptor!