[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NS DP8390 ethernet chip

ash@uupc.omega (Andrew Hardie) (02/12/91)

I seem to remember some months ago talk about problems (dropped packets?)
with the A and B versions of the DP8390 chip as fitted to the WD8003E.
I notice that the new boards have the DP8390C chip. Can someone remind
me what the problem was and whether it (and any others that may have
existed in the A and/or B versions) were fixed in the C revision.
Thanks
--

Andrew Hardie                                       ash@omega.uucp
London, England                                ukc!cctal!omega!ash

No is merely a negotiating position; yes is always final.

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/14/91)

ash@uupc.omega (Andrew Hardie) writes:

>I seem to remember some months ago talk about problems (dropped packets?)
>with the A and B versions of the DP8390 chip as fitted to the WD8003E.
>I notice that the new boards have the DP8390C chip. Can someone remind
>me what the problem was and whether it (and any others that may have
>existed in the A and/or B versions) were fixed in the C revision.
>Thanks
>--

>Andrew Hardie                                       ash@omega.uucp
>London, England                                ukc!cctal!omega!ash

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (02/15/91)

I would have sent this privately, but I didn't feel any real optimism about
the return address given...

The worst problem that early DP8390 LAN chips had was a tendency to glitch
their byte-order control register, and change byte-orders in the middle of
a packet.  A bit destructive to one's data, that.  The C chips are better
than the A and B, but I think E or F is current these days.  You have to
get the old errata sheets for full details, since the newer ones only list
problems found since C or so.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

SRGHGCP@chv.dsir.govt.nz (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb14.150021.5723@unipalm.uucp>, leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) writes:
> ash@uupc.omega (Andrew Hardie) writes:
>
>>I seem to remember some months ago talk about problems (dropped packets?)
>>with the A and B versions of the DP8390 chip as fitted to the WD8003E.
>>I notice that the new boards have the DP8390C chip. Can someone remind
>>me what the problem was and whether it (and any others that may have
>>existed in the A and/or B versions) were fixed in the C revision.
>>Thanks
>>--
>
>>Andrew Hardie                                       ash@omega.uucp
>>London, England                                ukc!cctal!omega!ash

The NSC 8390 has been through a lot of revisions...there were even some
released which were 'pre-A'. The B version has some problems with the
internal statemachine on heavily loaded LANs. Exactly how the will manifest
itself will depend on the software. The worst problem is that collisions
may be lost due to a small 'blind' window. There are 3 main problems with the
B rev, one can be sorted out in software and the other two need a hardware
work around. Its fair to say that the last 2 problems shouldn't
happen it the LAN is TOTALLY perfect! I can post a full description of them
if you want? The C rev has no serious problems that I know of...we are using
both B and C revs. There is also a D rev which is supposed to be a die shrink
but is given the status of a rev 'cause DEC have'nt 'approved'it..or so the
story goes!

Geoff Peck
Physical Sciences Division
Information Technology Group
Department of Scientific and Industrial Research
New Zealand     +64-4-666-919 fax; +64-4-690-067