[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Need a compact Ethernet driver for AT&T 7300

cs175111@csusac.ecs.csus.edu (Steven Little) (03/01/91)

 	I am currently working on a project to connect an AT&T 7300
to a host via an Ethernet cable.  The problem I'm having is that
the ROM space in the 7300 is very small.
	What I need is a reduced tcp-ip or a tiny tcp-ip to handle
this problem.  I thank anyone who can help me with my problem in advance.

	  Send response to cs175111@csusac.ecs.csus.edu

	This is the first time I have posted on this newsnet so sorry if
I make some errors.

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.183714.12039@csusac.csus.edu> cs175111@csusac.ecs.csus.edu (Steven Little) writes:

> 	I am currently working on a project to connect an AT&T 7300
>to a host via an Ethernet cable.  The problem I'm having is that
>the ROM space in the 7300 is very small.
>	What I need is a reduced tcp-ip or a tiny tcp-ip to handle
>this problem.  I thank anyone who can help me with my problem in advance.

I don't understand the reference to "small" ROM space; the system supports
up to 4MB (or 8MB) RAM and > 300MB HD; not bad for a circa-1985 10MHz 68010.

In any event, the AT&T 7300 is also known as the 3B1, and questions such as
this are best directed to comp.sys.3b1 where you'll get a LOT of help!  :-)

Ethernet exists for the 3B1 (I have many connected on my net) as does StarLAN.
The Ethernet is the WIN/3B TCP/IP 802.3a-1988 10BASE2 10Mbit/S, and the
StarLAN is 802.3e-1988 1BASE5 1Mbit/S over twisted-pair.

Several people, myself included, have ported portions of the 4.3BSD "Tahoe"
networking software suite to the 3B1/7300 and some of this can be found at
osu-cis (aka cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu [IP 128.146.8.62]) and (soon) in the
comp.sources.3b1 newsgroup.

I also have copies of the 3B1/7300 Device Driver Development Guide (from AT&T)
available at cost for anyone interested; either send email (see sig below) or
browse the comp.sys.3b1 newsgroup.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]