The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 1991 23:19:18 GMT

In article <867@nddsun1.sps.mot.com> wied@birdie.sps.mot.com (Bill Wied) writes:
>I'm looking for an enhanced version of FTP which will create virtual connections between hosts that are not directly connected, possibly using routing table information on in between hosts.

FTP clients should never find themselves in a configuration where they have
to worry about such matters. Interhost routing is the job of IP which
sits a few layers below FTP. When an FTP client wishes to connect to a host
that is not directly on its own IP network, IP will carry it's connection
request across an IP internet to the IP network on which the remote host
lives (on a good day).

>The control connection probably needs to be some virtual pipe but the data connection can either create a virtual connection or use some kind of store and forward mechanism to route it's data to the desired host.

The only example of data and control connection "juggling" that I'm aware
of is in FTP clients that support what I'm in the habit of calling "third
party copies". The idea is that you can sit at Machine A and use FTP to
transfer a file from Machine B to Machine C without the data ever darkening
Machine As doorstep. We support this in both our Windows 3.0 based FTP
client and also our non-Windows FTP client in the LAN Workplace for DOS.
I'm not sure if FTP softwares client can do this too but it wouldn't
surprise me (2.04 couldn't, right James?). Also, the University of Marylands
TCP/IP implementation looks pretty complete, so perhaps that can do it too?

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

wied@birdie.sps.mot.com (Bill Wied) (03/06/91)

There seems to be some confusion over this request I posetd earlier. I realize that the IP layer is responsible for routing. But sometimes two networks are seperated by "firewall" machines for security measures (ie. a firewall between a business network and Internet). Thus to log on to an Internet machine from the business side you must first log on to the firewall machine. This keeps the Internet machine directly off your business network, while still allowing you to get access to it. I'm looking for an e

nhanced FTP which will "bridge" this firewall. To make data retrival a one-step process.

Please mail replys directly to me and do not post them. This just clutters the newsgroup.

Thanks

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (03/08/91)

    The only example of data and control connection "juggling" that I'm aware
    of is in FTP clients that support what I'm in the habit of calling "third
    party copies". The idea is that you can sit at Machine A and use FTP to
    transfer a file from Machine B to Machine C without the data ever darkening
    Machine As doorstep. We support this in both our Windows 3.0 based FTP
    client and also our non-Windows FTP client in the LAN Workplace for DOS.
    I'm not sure if FTP softwares client can do this too but it wouldn't
    surprise me (2.04 couldn't, right James?).

Nobody's ever asked for it in our client, but someone reported a bug related
to this in our DOS FTP server, which will be fixed in the next minor release.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901