[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP via Token Ring

nolet@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jason Nolet) (03/01/91)

Netters:

Has anyone out there implemented the TCP/IP protocols over a Token
Ring LAN?  If so, is there an RFC is can turn to (1042 maybe)?

I would be very interested in the names of any vendors which offer
such as product.

Thanks for your help!

/******************************************************/
/* Jason Nolet                                        */
/* Network Products Div. - San Diego, NCR Corporation */
/* email:  Jason.Nolet@SanDiego.NCR.COM               */
/* Phone:  (619) 578-9000  Fax: (619) 963-5705        */
/******************************************************/

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (03/06/91)

Yes, a number of companies support TCP/IP over token ring. I think
you'll find most of the PC vendors do; in fact, there's even a token
ring packet driver. Some of the router vendors, like Proteon, cisco
and probably Wellfleet do as well.

Whether non-router and non-PC vendors support IP over token ring is
as problematic as finding a token ring card for something that's not a
PC...

RFC 1042 will do the trick.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	FAX: 415 594-1141

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (03/08/91)

In <9103060059.AA06214@asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) writes:

>Yes, a number of companies support TCP/IP over token ring. I think
>you'll find most of the PC vendors do; in fact, there's even a token
>ring packet driver.

Yes, but the Token Ring driver I looked at in the version 8 packet
driver distribution seems to want the IBM PC LAN Support Program
loaded.  I don't want to load it, and would much rather have a token
ring packet driver that either loads with or coexists with
Novell's IPX that speaks directly to the Token Ring adapter.  Is there
a freely available way to do this?

--
Guy Helmer--helmer@sdnet.bitnet, wuarchive!dsuvax!ghelmer, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
Dakota State University Computing Services ------------------- (605) 256-5264

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (03/08/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 22:43:37 GMT

In article <1991Mar7.193647.9815@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>Yes, but the Token Ring driver I looked at in the version 8 packet
>driver distribution seems to want the IBM PC LAN Support Program
>loaded.  I don't want to load it, and would much rather have a token
>ring packet driver that either loads with or coexists with
>Novell's IPX that speaks directly to the Token Ring adapter.  Is there
>a freely available way to do this?

In our ODI workstation software we support both ways. There is an
ODI driver for LANSUP and another that talks directly to the IBM Token
Ring card. The reason for having two is that some folks actually want to
load the IBM LAN support program. They tell me it allows them to run other
bits and pieces of software that use LANSUP concurrently. I believe them,
although I'd be interested to hear from folks that have done something
along these lines and can give me specifics. I tend to use the "straight
to the metal" driver myself.

As for the part about freely available..... Alas we have to pay the salaries
of some 2500 people every day, so we need money! Sorry.....

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (03/08/91)

Some history: Long ago (1986 or so), when IBM first shipped 802.5 cards
for the PC, they defined a standard software driver (very much like the
Packet Driver in concept) which all protocol stacks and applications
could use, and thus be hardware-independent.  The spec was entitled
"Adapter Support Interface", and was initially implemented in
TOKREUI.COM (various versions for the different IBM 802.5 adapters).
In order to work with IBM's applications, all the other 802.5 board
vendors implemented ASI drivers, too (PRO4EUI, 3COMREUI, etc.).

So, there is very little software out there which has board-specific
drivers for 802.5 (our LANWatch uses direct-to-the-board interfacing
with Proteon hardware, because ASI doesn't support "match all" as a
security measure).  PC/TCP, Netware, Vines and pretty much everything
else prefers to use the ASI driver (normally IBM's LAN Support Program,
which replaced TOKREUI a few years ago).  Because it is ubiquitous,
we could ship one part for 802.5 where we ship 20 for different
Ethernet boards, and this is very attractive...

The IBMTOKEN Packet Driver uses ASI to talk to many vendors' hardware,
but keep in mind that it is a Class 1 (DIX Ethernet) driver, which
adds the necessary RFC 1042 framing so the protocol stack doesn't have
to be 802.5-aware.  This is good for limited use of DOS TCP/IP stacks
that don't happen to be available in 802.5-aware versions (the free
ones).  However, it breaks down under heavy use (ARP cache in the stack
conflicts with RIF cache in IBMTOKEN) or when you're trying to use
protocols that don't use the same Ether -> 802.5 transform as TCP/IP.

Recently (1990), IBM introduced NDIS drivers as an alternative to the
LAN Support Program, but not many DOS products can use an NDIS driver
for 802.5 yet.  Some of the board vendors have followed suit, but what
I've heard about IBM's own statements of direction indicate that both
ASI and NDIS will continue to be supported in parallel for a while.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901