[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Registering an "official" port name

chris@vision.uucp (Chris Davies) (03/02/91)

Apologies in advance for my probable misuse of the word "port".  I hope you
will understand what I mean...

We would like to be able to register a known TCP/IP port number (as seen
in /etc/services on most implementations of TCP/IP that I've seen) for use by
one of our products.  We do not want to allow the system admin to choose (at
installation time) which port our product should use - we want to be able to
guarantee (ish) that port _number_ XYZ will have our client sitting on it.

Unfortunately we don't know who (or what) is responsible for the allocation and
registration of these ports.  Can someone point me in the right direction? If
not, has anyone got any useful suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp    JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org   BANGNET: ...!ukc!vision!chris

dab@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (Dave Bridgham) (03/03/91)

If your application is using TCP (as it sounded from your message),
may I suggest reading RFC1078 (TCPMUX) for an alternative to using
a well known port.

					David Bridgham

chris@vision.uucp (Chris Davies) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar1.201628.9511@vision.uucp> I asked for pointers to the
method for registering an IP port.

Thankyou to all those who replied.  Here's a summary for interested parties.

RFC1060 (Assigned Numbers) - Jon Postel and Joyce Reynolds handle the
Internet port number assignments.  Email should be send to IANA@ISI.EDU

Chris
--

lee@gdc.portal.com (Seng-Poh Lee, Gen DataComm, +1 203 758-1811) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.093257.16682@vision.uucp>, chris@vision.uucp (Chris Davies) writes:
> In article <1991Mar1.201628.9511@vision.uucp> I asked for pointers to the
> method for registering an IP port.
>
> Thankyou to all those who replied.  Here's a summary for interested parties.
>
> RFC1060 (Assigned Numbers) - Jon Postel and Joyce Reynolds handle the
> Internet port number assignments.  Email should be send to IANA@ISI.EDU

For that matter, where can you pick up a copy of all the registered port
numbers?

-----
Seng-Poh Lee			      	Work:	lee@gdc.portal.com
Technology Center			...!uunet!portal!gdc!lee
General DataComm Ind. Inc.	      	Home:	lee%splee.uucp@hsi.com
					...!uunet!hsi!splee!lee