[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] mac to mac ftp with NCSA Telnet 2.3?

tksjmi@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (JoAnn Illuzzi) (03/06/91)

 I posted this question to  telnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu on 1/22, but apparently
 that is a dead list, I didn't receive any replies.

 Does Mac NCSA Telnet support mac to mac ftps directly?  I don't want
 to sign onto a mainframe/mini to ftp stuff between two macs.  I
 thought ncsa telnet 2.3 had this feature, but I don't see it
 documented.

 JoAnn

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (03/13/91)

In article <63352@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, tksjmi@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (JoAnn
Illuzzi) writes:
> From: tksjmi@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (JoAnn Illuzzi)
> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
> Subject: mac to mac ftp with NCSA Telnet 2.3
> Originator: tksjmi@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU
>

>  I posted this question to  telnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu on 1/22, but apparently
>  that is a dead list, I didn't receive any replies.
>
>  Does Mac NCSA Telnet support mac to mac ftps directly?  I don't want
>  to sign onto a mainframe/mini to ftp stuff between two macs.  I
>  thought ncsa telnet 2.3 had this feature, but I don't see it
>  documented.
>
>  JoAnn

BYU probably has what you want.  All that NCSA has is a FTP server builtin, but
others have added client capabilities to it over the years, both PD and
commercial.

BYU
InterCon
TWG
And probably others.

Hope this helps.

Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) (03/16/91)

In article <63352@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> tksjmi@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (JoAnn Illuzzi) writes:

> I posted this question to  telnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu on 1/22, but apparently
> that is a dead list, I didn't receive any replies.
>
> Does Mac NCSA Telnet support mac to mac ftps directly?  I don't want
> to sign onto a mainframe/mini to ftp stuff between two macs.  I
> thought ncsa telnet 2.3 had this feature, but I don't see it
> documented.
>
> JoAnn

Currently NCSA telnet for the MAC can only accept incomming ftp's (i.e.
you won't be able to ftp out of a MAC with NCSA telnet 2.3).  It's
a small inconvience compared the other overall quality of this excellient
piece of free software.

Oliver

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (03/16/91)

In article <813@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> hellwig@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Oliver Hellwig ) writes:

>Currently NCSA telnet for the MAC can only accept incomming ftp's (i.e.
>you won't be able to ftp out of a MAC with NCSA telnet 2.3).  It's
>a small inconvience compared the other overall quality of this excellient
>piece of free software.

I would say that not being able to ftp out (like ftpbin does with
NCSA_Telnet for the PC) renders the whole thing worthless for me.
(How, for instance, do you download files from anonymous ftp sites.
How do you transfer files from a Mac with a CD ROM player to a PC -
when you are always needing to change CD-ROMS and the PC is in
another room?)

Besides, you cannot properly set up key mappings with the Mac version.
Therefore I would conclude that the Mac version is, to use the classic Usenet
phrase, terminally brain-dead.

Doug McDonald

jlp@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Jan L. Peterson) (03/16/91)

Simple solution:  use BYU Telnet 2.3.4.  This is NCSA Telnet with the
ability to do client ftp added in.  Contact Jim Logan
(loganj@yvax.byu.edu) for more information.

	-jan-
--
        Jan L. Peterson		Network Systems Manager
EMail:  jlp@hamblin.math.byu.edu