[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] list of whois,finger, etc. servers wanted

rhaller@phloem.uoregon.edu (03/20/91)

There are now lists of online library catalogues that are regularly updated
and distributed. Is there an equivalent for whois/finger/etc or other
tcp/ip directory service type servers for the Internet? For example, we
provide such service for 'uoregon.edu' based on our campus phone book (plus
some email stuff we tracked down and added) from the host
'oregon.uoregon.edu'. I happen to know that Stanford has a comprehensive
whois service out of 'stanford.edu', and that a number of sites are
participating in the Nsyernet White Pages project. What I am looking for is
a list of as many such sources as possible, ideally searchable on
institution, like "University of Chicago".

droms@SOL.BUCKNELL.EDU (Ralph E. Droms) (03/21/91)

   There are now lists of online library catalogues that are regularly updated
   and distributed. Is there an equivalent for whois/finger/etc or other
   tcp/ip directory service type servers for the Internet?

I have a student who is compiling such a list.  He's working on
automatic mechanisms for generating a list of known servers and server
types.

This project is part of the "netaddress" service.  When complete,
netaddress will search the list of known servers for likely candidates
to query in addition to the current default servers like
whois@nic.ddn.mil, whois@sh.cs.net, etc.

I'd like to hear of any other, similar compilations.  Maybe someone
can save my student some work...

- Ralph Droms                 Computer Science Department
  droms@bucknell.edu          323 Dana Engineering
                              Bucknell University
  (717) 524-1145              Lewisburg, PA 17837

lrogers@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Larry Rogers) (03/21/91)

In article <9103210300.AA01972@sol.bucknell.edu> droms@SOL.BUCKNELL.EDU (Ralph E. Droms) writes:
>   There are now lists of online library catalogues that are regularly updated
>   and distributed. Is there an equivalent for whois/finger/etc or other
>   tcp/ip directory service type servers for the Internet?
>
>This project is part of the "netaddress" service.  When complete,
>netaddress will search the list of known servers for likely candidates
>to query in addition to the current default servers like
>whois@nic.ddn.mil, whois@sh.cs.net, etc.

I would like to know if this database will contain its own entry as a
default server.  Will it then be classified as mere default server, as opposed
to the meta-default server it set out to be?
   There seems to be a note of history sounding around here...
:-)

>- Ralph Droms                 Computer Science Department
>  droms@bucknell.edu          323 Dana Engineering
>                              Bucknell University
>  (717) 524-1145              Lewisburg, PA 17837

Please forgive my horrible mangled interpretation of a philosophic debate of
immense importance.  Also I should attribute these things better.

Waxing philosophic,
Larry