[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] LPR/LPD protocols specification

Is there an RFC which deals with the LPR/LPD protocol?  I am specifically
looking for the command structure passed between systems.

The aim of this is to convert a System V spooler/despooler that I have to
be compatible with the Berkeley environment.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

ljm@FTP.COM (leo j mclaughlin iii) (03/25/91)

>Is there an RFC which deals with the LPR/LPD protocol?...

RFC 1179.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
(author RFC 1179)
ljm@ftp.com

poorman@convex.com (Peter W. Poorman) (03/28/91)

In <1991Mar24.005800.24156@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>Is there an RFC which deals with the LPR/LPD protocol?  I am specifically
>looking for the command structure passed between systems.

I don't know whether or not there's an RFC, but the book "UNIX Network
Programming" by W. Richard Stevens (Prentice Hall, 1990) has a chapter
covering this protocol.  Includes source code for the client side of
the protocol.

By the way -- I found this book to have one of the best descriptions of
the UNIX inter-process communication and BSD sockets. (Also covers TLI, but
I'm not qualified to comment on that chapter.)  Highly recommended.

--Pete Poorman
  poorman@convex.com