[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Need routed params with SLIP

efb@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Everett F Batey) (03/23/91)

Past few weeks have gotten us some SLIP from host remote on net REMOTE with
host local on net LOCAL.  remotes neighbors can not talk to remote on
REMOTE net and only remote and local talk reliably .. we get ripquery back
and forth but what this problem seems to most need now is a better hybrid
of hard routes like the route add REMOTE remote 1 and so on.  I have some
of these but fear they are wrong .. remote is an MV-II running BSD/Tahoe
and local is a Sun 4/20 (SLC) on SunOS 4.1.1.  Link is essentially a mildly
hacked cslipbeta.  Best success is when routed on the remote-BSD end first
starts and holds 6 values in netstat -nr, which notably holds a line
  REMOTE-net (either remote or local, I forget) ...  WHICH does succeed for
a few minutes, I know, rpc perfmeter (rpc.status packets) makes it across
the link from remote to local, even other in.routed players on local-net
can ping ( briefly ) the remote-host.  Path is over two Telebits running
PEP.  There have been occasional deaths of local-host with slipen() messages
hanging on syslog.  There is currently a do-loop running on remote to kill
and restart its routed -s whenever less than 6 routes are produced by its
netstat -nr.  When I am able to log off remote and the circuit stays up,
then the routes may be lost less often ( had no restarts, dropping routes
messages on remote for over 8 hours ).

A collection of your slipattach lines, route add lines that connects two
different nets by slip using routed would be greatly appreciated.  My guesses
probably have been why I am messed up still.  WE WILL NOT be trying PPP
this year and SLIP over existing phones and hardware are our only choices,
for now.  PLEASE, save the SLIP is dead, etc for alt.flames.  Once this
works we hope to get packets from REMOTE-net via local, over LOCAL-net and
out thru an ACC 4100.  It only reports net 26 and net LOCAL to ripquery.
It has rip on and rip neighbor entry local-host, and gateway mode on.

Thanks for any help /Ev/

--
 +  efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL  efb@gcpacix.uucp  efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org +
 +  efb@nosc.mil   WA6CRE    Gold Coast Sun Users   Vta-SB-SLO DECUS  gnu +

johnk@gordian.com (John Kalucki) (03/25/91)

Perhaps you should look into gated, which is supposed to handle
point to point links better than routed.

	-John Kalucki
	johnk@gordian.com

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (03/29/91)

In article <119@gordius.gordian.com> johnk@gordian.com (John Kalucki) writes:
>Perhaps you should look into gated, which is supposed to handle
>point to point links better than routed.

Does anyone know where a version of gated that has been ported to SysV386
can be found? I checked the stuff on uunet, and it seems to be BSD-only
(at least, I'm missing a bunch of header files and libraries that it looks
for).

Something that would work under ISC 1.0.6 (no, I can't upgrade) would
be perfect (and probably usable under the 2.x systems, too).

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com