[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Public domain NFS

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (03/19/91)

Last I heard, there were no PD NFS clients. There is a PD NFS
server (SOS - Stan's own Server). Commercial NFS clients for
PCs are available from FTP Software, Sun Microsystems, Beame &
Whiteside, and Wollongong.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (03/19/91)

In article <9103182100.AA10350@ftp.com>, fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) writes:
> Last I heard, there were no PD NFS clients. ...

What about the 4.3BSD-Reno NFS implementation?  It may not be serve the
original requestor's purpose, and there is some evidence it is a
little rough.  It's not public domain, but is it unlike the rest of the
BSD networking code, freely distributable?

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (03/19/91)

You're right - there is the Berkeley one. My job being what it is, I
occasionally start thinking of everything in terms of PCs...  :)

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

raisch@Control.COM (Robert Raisch) (03/20/91)

There is a PD (almost) NFS client.

MD-DOS/IP from Univ of Maryland.

Package includes:

	TCP/IP Kernel
	Berkeley Sockets lib
	Telnet/Ftp/etc.
	LPR/RSH/TFTP
	NFS client

	All sources and manuals

It's an interesting package and although it takes up scads of RAM,
(QEMM'able, thank the gods), it's very stable.

It's available to edu clients for a small price, I think ~= $200.
(I'll post contact info if there is interest.)

The development team answers their mail, too.  <smile>
--
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." -Lector

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/24/91)

Just got my hands on RFC 1094 (NFS) and it didn't seem to say anything
about licensing.  Off-hand (not being a lawyer) I didn't see anything
that would stop me from taking the RFC and creating my own brand of NFS
for Computer 'X'.  Is there something that keeps me from writing my own
NFS?  Distributing it or selling it?  If so what and why?

Thanks in advance
Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com
"Be EXCELLENT to each other!"  Bob and Ted's Great Adventure.

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (03/25/91)

    ...  Is there something that keeps me from writing my own
    NFS?  Distributing it or selling it?  If so what and why?

Only the fact that "NFS" is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Name it "Foo (an implementation of Sun's NFS protocol)" or the like and
you're off.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (03/25/91)

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:

>Just got my hands on RFC 1094 (NFS) and it didn't seem to say anything
>about licensing.  Off-hand (not being a lawyer) I didn't see anything
>that would stop me from taking the RFC and creating my own brand of NFS
>for Computer 'X'.  Is there something that keeps me from writing my own
>NFS?  Distributing it or selling it?  If so what and why?

>Thanks in advance
>Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com
>"Be EXCELLENT to each other!"  Bob and Ted's Great Adventure.

I am no expert on these matters, either. It is my understanding that
"nfs" is based on RPC nad NDR (?) BOTH are public domain. If you can
take RFC 1094, RPC and NDR and mix them together to get a working
"nfs", you got yourself a commercial product or shareware (as you see fit).

Obviously your implementation may differ significantly in detail to Sun,
B&W, FTP Software's incarnations. They all should perform the same functions
though, in accordence with RFC 1094.

my 2 cents worth...

barry

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (03/27/91)

In article <40519@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B
Bourgeois) writes:

   Is there something that keeps me from writing my own
   NFS?  Distributing it or selling it?

Nope, nothing at all.  It's been done, in fact.  I believe that Sun has
a trademark on the acronym "NFS", and they like you to pay them some
nominal fee to call your own stuff "NFS," but I'm not completely sure.
In any case, nothing will stop you from building the code and selling it...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

cs@Eng.Sun.COM (Carl Smith) (03/27/91)

> Just got my hands on RFC 1094 (NFS) and it didn't seem to say anything
> about licensing.  Off-hand (not being a lawyer) I didn't see anything
> that would stop me from taking the RFC and creating my own brand of NFS
> for Computer 'X'.  Is there something that keeps me from writing my own
> NFS?  Distributing it or selling it?  If so what and why?

	Nothing at all prevents you from doing this.  Many people (and vendors)
have already done so.  However, if you do, please do your potential users a
favor and bring the implementation to the annual Connectathon (an engineering
interoperability testing event that includes both NFS and X Window System
testing).  Connectathon details are announced every year in the newsgroup
comp.protocols.nfs.

			Carl

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (03/28/91)

Quoth jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (in <17810@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>):
#In article <1991Mar26.171349.16002@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
#+Nope, nothing at all.  It's been done, in fact.  I believe that Sun has
#+a trademark on the acronym "NFS", and they like you to pay them some
#+nominal fee to call your own stuff "NFS," but I'm not completely sure.
#
#Uh, $45K and bend the knees please.
#(Or is that for the Sun source and the 'right' to call it NFS).

To use the NFS and ONC trademarks (and that neat little octagonal
ONC/NFS logo), it's $1,000. According to the latest edition of the
"ONC/NFS Technology Guide" the contact people are

	Dennis Freeman or Felix Litman
	Sun Microsystems
	2550 Garcia Avenue
	MS PAL1-416
	Mountain View, CA 94043
	415-336-0955 or 1249

And I've never seen anyone at Connectathon bending the knees....

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

jr@twisted.dkw.com (J.R. Jesson) (03/28/91)

In article <1161@cthulhuControl.COM>, raisch@Control.COM (Robert Raisch) writes:

|> There is a PD (almost) NFS client.
|>
|> MD-DOS/IP from Univ of Maryland.
|>
|> Package includes:
|>
|> 	TCP/IP Kernel
|> 	Berkeley Sockets lib
|> 	Telnet/Ftp/etc.
|> 	LPR/RSH/TFTP
|> 	NFS client
|>
|> 	All sources and manuals
|>
|> It's an interesting package and although it takes up scads of RAM,
|> (QEMM'able, thank the gods), it's very stable.
|>
|> It's available to edu clients for a small price, I think ~= $200.
|> (I'll post contact info if there is interest.)
|>
|> The development team answers their mail, too.  <smile>
|> --
*Please* Dont call this Public Domain! (Dont Even call it Late for
Dinner ;-) ).  The UMD package isnt quite available to those of us
unfortunate enough to work in the real world. Sigh.

J.R.

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar26.171349.16002@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <40519@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B
>Bourgeois) writes:
>
>   Is there something that keeps me from writing my own
>   NFS?  Distributing it or selling it?
>
>Nope, nothing at all.  It's been done, in fact.  I believe that Sun has
>a trademark on the acronym "NFS", and they like you to pay them some
>nominal fee to call your own stuff "NFS," but I'm not completely sure.
>In any case, nothing will stop you from building the code and selling it...

	Ameristar Technology built both NFS client & a prototype server
	implementation on the Commodore Amiga; both were developed entirely
	from the spec + Sun RPC sources.  Like all specifications, there are
	minor nits that one discovers only after doing an implementation
	though.  To Suns credit, they run a "Connectathon" every year where
	vendors get together and test for interoperability.

>Amanda Walker
>Visix Software Inc.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar