[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP on SunOS 4.1.1

uhhyung@mani.kaist.ac.kr (Uhhyung Choi) (03/29/91)

Hi, netlanders?
Does anybody have experiences of running SLIP on SunOS4.1.1?
I've got one for SunOS4.1 but it doesn't work.
A little piece of   information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

-Uhh
--

Uhhyung Choi
Sophomore, Department of Computer Science

uhhyung@mani.kaist.ac.kr (Uhhyung Choi) (03/31/91)

The followings are messages sent to me
Summurizing all the messages,

Before Posting:
I'm trying to install slip on Sun4/370 running SunOS 4.1.1
First I tried with existing SLIP packages for SunOS 4.0.x only to fail.
I ftped the beta version of slip for SunOS 4.1 from uunet.uu.net.
It failed again, so I posted to the net.
I've got answers from many kind people,
thank you all, David, Mark, Karl, and another David.

After Posting:
I followed Karl's advice, but I couldn't find SunOS PatchID 100149-02,
So I tried with 100149-01 which I ftped from ftp.cs.toronto.edu.
After patching with 100149-01, I tried to install with slip-4.1-beta,
only to fail again.

NOW:
After I received mark's reply that there is a circulating problem,
I'm so depressed.
Could anybody cheer me up?

From: celit!whoops.fps.com!dave@UCSD.EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 18:50:08 PST
To: uhhyung@mani.kaist.ac.kr
Subject: Re: SLIP on SunOS 4.1.1

I'm currently running SLIP on Sparcstation SLC's with Telebit T2500
modems.  I'm using the slip 4.0 package and the tip with slip.  Tip
with SLIP needed some work to get going.  If you'd like I can send you
diffs.  Garbage packets tend to make the system panic.

Cheers,
--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego        ucsd!celit!dave or dave@fps.com

From: fedor@uu.psi.com (Mark S. Fedor)
To: mani.kaist.ac.kr!uhhyung@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

	Yes,

	Where did you get your SLIP from.  There is a bug
	circulating about with the sunOS 4.1 slip software
	package.

	Mark Fedor
	PSI

From: karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 09:37:19 EST
To: uhhyung@mani.kaist.ac.kr (Uhhyung Choi)
Subject: SLIP on SunOS 4.1.1

Pick up Rayan Zachariassen's SLIP driver originally developed for
SunOS 4.0.x.  It also works fine under SunOS 4.1{,.1}, but you will
need a bugfix from Sun, PatchID 100149-02, to prevent spurious kernel
panics due to a mangled mbuf chain.

--karl

From: David J. Bianco <bianco@xanth.cs.odu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 91 08:42:02 -0500
To: Uhhyung Choi <uhhyung@mani.kaist.ac.kr>

Yes, I got an answer. The problem was a typo in the source. On the line
where it says something like "ioctl(I_PUSH, "slipe");" it should be "slipen"
instead.  One problem though, is that cslip still has a bug. It causes my
SPARCstations to crash after about 10-15 minutes of slip and NOT REBOOT!  I
rebuilt the kernal without compression and it seems to work rather well...

        David