[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Digital phones for SLIP circuits

efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey) (03/03/91)

Confronted with an urgent need to run SLIP between two Sun3s (OS 4.1 and
4.1.1) and some easy to comeby telephone assets AND NO money for modems,
we are trying to pick the most trustworthy and easy to accomplish SLIP
link.  Sites are within 3 miles, wire, 1/2 mile crow flight.

- We have Meridian phones for which we can get 9600 baud RS-232 interfaces.
DOES ANYBODY know if with handshaking and async over digitized phone line,
these data phone options WORK SUCCESSFULLY for this purpose ?

- We have access to a four wire metallic circuit, not conditioned.  Is
there an economical, recent or old, technology four wire modem YOU USE to
support 9600 baud SLIP ?

- We have some available Telebit modems, no two alike and NO T2500.  Dont
think any are the newer of V32/V42 which ever that is.  The last neighbor we
knew using these a 200 mile dialup phone path spent lots of time restarting
the circuit.  Is there a good way to use these locally over an analog
delivered voice grade phone line ?

- How would YOU rate from YOUR PERSONAL experience these options, for cost
effectiveness and ease ( idiot-proof-ness ) of installation ?

- Remember in answering these questions, the right answer leads to the most
efficient use of tax dollars.  Thanks /Ev/

--
 +  efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL  efb@gcpacix.uucp  efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org +
 +  efb@nosc.mil   WA6CRE    Gold Coast Sun Users   Vta-SB-SLO DECUS  gnu +

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/15/91)

In article <8204@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey II) writes:
>- We have access to a four wire metallic circuit, not conditioned.  Is
>there an economical, recent or old, technology four wire modem YOU USE to
>support 9600 baud SLIP ?

You can go at 19.2K or 9.6K using a pair of Gandalf LDS309A short haul modems.
I used them quite successfully for two years plugged into an Annex
terminal server as my SLIP host until I upgraded to a faster technology.
I've got a pair of them sitting unused here.  Interested?

>- We have some available Telebit modems, no two alike and NO T2500.  Dont
>think any are the newer of V32/V42 which ever that is.  The last neighbor we
>knew using these a 200 mile dialup phone path spent lots of time restarting
>the circuit.  Is there a good way to use these locally over an analog
>delivered voice grade phone line ?

At least the TB2500 has a leased line option (don't recall about the others).
The TB2500 in V.32 mode works well for voice-grade analog leased lines,
but the line turnaround time necessary in PEP mode (all that's available
with the TB+) is not very desirable.

>- How would YOU rate from YOUR PERSONAL experience these options, for cost
>effectiveness and ease ( idiot-proof-ness ) of installation ?

A pair of LDS309A's using a metallic (LADS) circuit comes very close to
idiot proof.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

mleech@bnr.ca (Marcus Leech) (03/19/91)

In article <6902@spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
|> In article <8204@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey II) writes:
|> A pair of LDS309A's using a metallic (LADS) circuit comes very close to
|> idiot proof.

Having recently worked for Gandalf, I can also recommend some of their newer
  technology--I seem to recall a beast called the LDS709 which gives you
  19.2k full-duplex on a two-wire circuit.  For slightly longer-hauls
  they have a series of "metro-modems" LDM409, and LDM419 (only vaguely
  recall the model numbers).

--
Marcus Leech, 4Y11             Bell-Northern Research  |opinions expressed
mleech@bnr.ca                  P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C   |are my own, and not

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (04/03/91)

In article <8204@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey II) writes:
>Confronted with an urgent need to run SLIP between two Sun3s (OS 4.1 and
>4.1.1) and some easy to comeby telephone assets AND NO money for modems,
>we are trying to pick the most trustworthy and easy to accomplish SLIP
>link.  Sites are within 3 miles, wire, 1/2 mile crow flight.
>
>- We have Meridian phones for which we can get 9600 baud RS-232 interfaces.
>DOES ANYBODY know if with handshaking and async over digitized phone line,
>these data phone options WORK SUCCESSFULLY for this purpose ?

I have Northern Telecom Meridian 1 telephones also.  I also have the data
units equipped in EVERY telephone!  They work quite well.  We use them for
modem pooling, we have two T1000's and a pair of UDS 9600 baud modems that
every one in house has access to.  I plan to use these for slip soon when I
get TCP/IP for DOS that supports slip.  I do use them for UUCP through the
modem pools.  These beasts actually run up to 19.2K asynch.  Units that run
up to 64K sysnchronous are available.  If you have digital TIE lines between
your sites you should have no problem doing this up to 56K.

Vance Shipley
vances@ltg
..uunet!watmath!xenitec!ltg!vances