[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Network Management

LYNCH@A.ISI.EDU (Dan Lynch) (11/24/87)

To facilitate information spread on some current network management
protocol developments, I am forwarding this set of "minutes" of a recent
meeting.

Dan

***********
Vendors Position Statement on TCP/IP

Network Management Standards

Working Document - 11/20/87

	A lot of email has been exchanged recently, speculating on
the TCP/IP network vendors intentions with respect to Network
Management standards.  It is time for the vendors themselves to
explain their position on this topic.

	On 11/4/87, a group of vendors actively involved with the
effort of the Network Management Working Group of the IETF
met for the purpose of:

1)	assessing the current status of the network management
standards efforts with respect to the goals that they had agreed
to in May 1987.

2)	discussing plans to implement the proposed standards and
incorporate them in vendor products.

3)	discussing plans to demonstrate interoperability of network
	management among vendor products.

	The participants to the meeting included the following
vendors:

				Bridge Communications

				CMC

				Data General

				Excelan

				Hewlett-Packard

				Sun Microsystems

				Sytek

				3Com

				Ungermann-Bass

	These participants represent a substantial and
representative subset of the TCP/IP vendor community at large
and are collectively referred to as "the vendors" in the rest of
this document.

	In the course of the discussion on the agenda items listed
above, a consensus was reached on five major points:

1)	The vendors cannot endorse or implement the recently
circulated RFCs describing the HEMS system in their current
form for the following reasons:

	-	The HEMS approach does not satisfy a key goal of the
Network 	Management Working Group goals statement [1] which
is to provide a "clear migration path to OSI network
management."

	-	The services definition RFC [2] authored by Lee Lebarre is
a major element in the strategy of providing a clear migration
path to OSI and protecting major network management
application investments.  The ability to deliver these services
is a key requirement for choosing a management protocol.  The
HEMP/Query protocols do not provide this capability while CMIP
does.

	-	While the HEMS project provides significant insight into
the 	technical issues of TCP/IP network management, it has not
been driven by the same charter as the vendors adopted for the
Network Management Group [1].  The requirements for delivering
early implementations of HEMS for the gateway monitoring
needs of the NSFNet have made discussions and compromises
very difficult, and have prevented the HEMS developers from
taking into account the vendors key technical concerns and
strategic requirement.

2)	The vendors continue to treat the Network Management
Working Group Goals and Scope document [1] as their common
objective statement.  In particular, they recognize that the
transition from TCP/IP to OSI is inevitable.

3)	The vendors agree that the Service Definition RFC BBBB [1]
and the 	HEMS definition of the Management Information can be
used as a solid 	working base on which to build a network
managment system for TCP/IP environments.

4)	The vendors favor a network management standard approach
based 	upon the CMIP/TCP/IP stack which meets the overall
objective of easing the migration to the OSI environment.  In
particular, it preserves the vendors investment in network
management applications and makes the management of hybrid
(TCP/IP and OSI) networks significantly easier.  They intend to
submit concrete proposals to substantiate this approach to the
IETF.  Alternatively, the vendors would also agree to consider
enhancements to HEMP that preserve the integrity of the
Management Services interface as defined by RFC BBBB.

5)	The vendors remain committed to completing the
development of TCP/IP network management standards in an
aggressive time frame and take as a goal to demonstrate
interoperability of network management in the fall of 1988.

	In summary, a strong consensus has emerged in the vendor
community in favor of a CMIS-based approach.  While the quality
of the work produced for HEMS is not in question, the vendors
are driven by different motivations.  They are ultimately
responsible for investing considerable development resources to
engineer the network management products that will truly
create the standard.  In network management as well as other
areas, the vendors must make choices that maximaze their
return on investment of development resources over time.  They
intend to work within the Network Management Working Group
structure of the IETF to pursue these goals.

[1]	TCP/IP Network Management Working Group:  Goals and
Scope - 	Revision 3 - 6/18/87

[2]	RFC BBBB:  Management Services for TCP/IP Network
Management,

	Lee Labarre - 10/87

-------

trewitt@MIASMA.STANFORD.EDU (Glenn Trewitt) (11/24/87)

[Sorry about the long note, but I've been waiting to hear a statement
from the NetMan vendors subgroup to hear just what it is that's going
on.  Now I've heard, so now I have something to comment on.]

Fascinating.  All of this talk about what CMIP privides.

When listening to the two main proponents of CMIP in the Network
Management meetings (up until the last one, of course, which I did not
attend), I have heard a lot of statements about what "CMIP Provides".
Yet the proposals about what CMIP is to do are constantly changing.

At the last meeting in Tokyo, where CMIP was to be voted up from its
current "Draft Proposal" status, it was rejected.  My understanding is
that this was the second time it was rejected, and that there is
considerable dissent about just what CMIP will do, and how will it do
it.

Nowhere else but at the NetMan meetings have I heard such definite
statements about what CMIP "is" and "does" and "provides".  In talking
to some people at Sydney University, I heard estimates of 3-4 years
until the ISO monitoring effort produces anything concrete.  Surely
they aren't TCP/IP lackeys?  I do know them to be very practical,
however.

While I understand the vendors' concerns, I don't agree with the way
these concerns color their outlook on ISO migration and short- to
medium-term managment solutions.

The only thing that ISO management offers that is not included in
monitoring proposals such as HEMS or SGMP is an overall architectural
definition.  This architecture defines the framework that monitoring
protocols (such as CMIP or HEMP) operate within.  There is no reason
that HEMS can't fit into the ISO framework.  Many hours were spent
discussing how that could be done.  Some members of the committee
refused to accept the notion that HEMS could conform to the
architecture, even though the protocol looks quite different than CMIP.
Or, I should say, "what CMIP currently looks like".

Architecture aside, the two protocols provide similar services (HEMS
offers some not in CMIS).  Both will require two major implementation
efforts, and each of these efforts will require far more effort than
the implementation of HEMS, and probably even more than CMIP.

1)  Servers for extracting data from protocol implementations (kernel
data structures, etc).  Interfaces between protocol modules and the
server will be at a very low level and likely will be peculiar to the
OS primitives available.  There is far more dependency upon environment
here than upon the querying mechanism (HEMP or CMIP).

2)  Application programs for manipulating this virtual data base.
These include programs to keep track of what's going on in the network,
systems to produce coherent summaries of network activity from many
points of view, specialized "assistants" to help ferret out problems,
and finally, programs to do high-level control operations, rather than
mucking around down in the dirt.  None of these applications depends in
the slightest upon the underlying monitoring protocol, except at the
very lowest subroutine call level.

This is all a lot of work, and it completely overshadows the cost of
implementing either of these protocols, much less migrating from one to
the other.

But there is one difference between the two systems.  HEMS is specified
now, and CMIS isn't.  Plus, CMIS may not be recognizable as CMIS by the
time it is nailed down.  Defining a network management on the basis of
a protocol that changes several times a year simply means that the
Network Management WG will end up defining yet another protocol,
something that was NOT in its original charter.

Please note that I have not touched upon the technical merits (or lack
thereof) of either system.  As one of the authors of HEMS, I am quite
biased about which one I prefer.  I do, however, feel that the
decisions that Craig and I made in designing HEMS have been validated
by Craig's implementation experience.  This is something that can't be
said of CMIS, which is strictly a paper design right now.

If anybody is interested in a discussion of the technical aspects of
the two systems, I would be happy to oblige.

Another issue I would like to see explored is the apparent domination
of the Network Management WG by the "vendors", to the exclusion of the
"non-vendors".  My impression is that there is a lot of writing going
on right now, none of which I am seeing discussed in the open forums
available for it (such as netman@amadeus or gwmon@sh.cs.net).  I
never heard a word about the meeting, except second hand, by accident.
What I did hear is that it specifically excluded non-vendors.  Now, I
suppose that it's fine for vendors to share their concerns with each
other, but it seems like a rather dramatic change of course happened at
that meeting.  Several of the people in attendance had never attended a
NetMan meeting before, and several people (including myself) who had
attended the meetings from the beginning were excluded.

Since when have vendors been in charge of (pre-)defining Internet
standards?

	- Glenn Trewitt

P.S.  I'll probably regret this in the morning.  :-)

rcallon@PARK-STREET.BBN.COM (Ross Callon) (11/24/87)

The goal of a protocol which can be implemented in a reasonably
short time frame (one of the goals of HEMS) seems inconsistent with
the goal of being consistent with ISO network management protocols.
If you want to be consistent with the ISO protocols, then you should
wait until they are done.  If you want something now (or within 6
months), then you are going to have to use something that is
available now (or can be developed in 6 months).

I don't understand why it is useful to have something which is sort
of vaguely like what we think CMIP is going to look like when it is
done.  Either you are compatible with an ISO standard or you're not.
Being sort of close doesn't seem to buy all that much.  (This assumes
that it is not possible to get "close enough" to interoperate with
the eventual ISO International Standard without changes, which I
think is a fairly safe assumption).

I think it would be easier to implement HEMS (or SGMP or HMP), and
accept that we will need to change at some time in the future, than
to argue at great length as to how to define a protocol which
resembles CMIP as much as possible, which will still need to be
implemented and then changed at some time in the future.

There is a lot of talk about being protocol consistent, but
relatively little about other aspects of building a network
management system.  A network management system which want to manage
multiple vendor's equipment in an Internet is going to have to speak
more than one network management protocol whether you like it or
not.  If the slowness of ISO doesn't assure this, then the large
amount of existing equipment and/or IBM is going to assure it
instead.  What is more difficult is to deal with incompatible data
sets returned from different devices, inconsistencies in the way
that the database is stored in different network management systems,
etc.  Thus if you are worried about the eventual transition from
TCP/IP to ISO, you should, for example, be worried about the
differences between the set of network management metrics defined by
HEMS and that being worked on for gateways in ANSI X3S33, and you
should think about what you intend to do with either set of data
when you get it into your system.

[Note:  My reference to the slowness of ISO should NOT in any way
be interpreted as a complaint.  The process of developing an
international standard is of necessity a very slow and laborious
process.  The complexity of network management make the CMIP
development even harder.  However, we have to accept that this
process is not likely to speed up.]

Ross

hedrick@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (11/25/87)

My concern is rather the opposite of the others that I have heard.  I
am concerned that participants in the closed Netman meeting have made
a decision which, although plausible, will have no effect other than
excluding them from the IP community.  It is clear that HEMS and SGMP
will be implemented by the major gateway vendors, and on Unix.  (I
wish we could pick one or the other, but I have a feeling we will end
up with both HEMS and SGMP everywhere.)  This will happen by January.
The hope had been that we could avoid completely separate IP and ISO
implementations by the work of the Netman group.  If this has really
failed, the result will be separate IP and ISO work, not CMIS over IP.
Experience is very clear that a few months delay in this business is
fatal.  It is probably not too late to make extensions to HEMS if
necessary to allow the Netman group to meet its goals.  In my view it
is too late to come up with another protocol.  I am hoping that all of
the participants in Netman can somehow be persuaded to try again.  I
think we need to find a way to make things proceed according to the
original gameplan.

In this context it is important to avoid seeing the issue as somehow
"the vendors" against the IP community.  Not all vendors were present
at the meeting.  Indeed the purveyors of the major gateway
implementations were noticable by their absence.  So I'd like to see
us avoid using "the vendors" as if there were one such entity, and
they all adopted the same position.  I am in fact avoiding assigning
any term to those who participated in the meeting in question, since I
am unable to find any term that is not emotionally loaded.

LYNCH@A.ISI.EDU.UUCP (11/25/87)

Charles,  Thank you for clearly stating your views.  I agree that any
path is going to take a lot of work.  It would be best if we all
could get on with the "work" to be done.  The characterization of
the vendors who are favoring the CMIS approach is best described as
"end system vendors" as opposed to "gateway vendors".  They see their
customers as drowning in network "administration" details in addition
to netowrk "management" details.  A few years back you (and I) were
running timesharing systems and we did that with a ton of software
and human procedures that were tightly integrated (evefn if by dint
of hard work and numerous kludges that remained invisible to our
customers).  The joy of networking has stripped managers of that tight
integration of administrative tools.  Dealing with routing protocol
misbehaviour is only the tip of the iceberg (even if that tip will
still sink the largest ship someday).  So, end users need to have their
entire "computing facilities" managed.  I think that is what this group of
vendors is wrestling with.

I hope all parties can find a way to combine efforts for the benefit of
all users.  After all, satisfied users are the lifeblood of us all.

Dan
-------

gross@gateway.mitre.ORG (Phill Gross) (11/26/87)

> I don't understand why it is useful to have something which is sort
> of vaguely like what we think CMIP is going to look like when it is
> done.  Either you are compatible with an ISO standard or you're not.
> Being sort of close doesn't seem to buy all that much.

Ross,

I have been informed in private that these days it is a wise
business decision to at least give the appearance of conforming to
OSI standards.  Utilizing TCP and IP is fine because it is already
here, but for something that needs to implemented from scratch, I've
been told that many vendors feel contrained to an OSI solution.

The argument about avoiding development costs by not implementing
twice may not be as important as soothing nervous customers about
multi-vendor OSI interoperability.  If vendors were only concerned
with not implementing twice, they might have taken a harder look at
the Simple Gateway Monitoring Protocol (SGMP) effort.

SGMP is yet a third network management consortium effort that started about
the same time as (and has drawn from) HEMS and Netman.  At the Boulder IETF
meeting, a very impressive real-time demo was given of a PC based SGMP
package (with whizbang color graphics) monitoring a real state-wide
regional network.  My understanding is that C source code is available
for tested, interoperable implementations under BSD Unix, MS-DOS and two
other platforms.  SGMP has been documented in a recent RFC and I think
there are plans for it be discussed at the upcoming Interoperability
conference.  For vendors whose goal is to minimize development costs,
perhaps SGMP deserves a closer look.

Phill Gross

louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (11/27/87)

	Date: Wed, 25 Nov 87 18:09:37 EST
	From: gross@gateway.mitre.org (Phill Gross)
	Subject: re: Network Management

	> I don't understand why it is useful to have something which is sort
	> of vaguely like what we think CMIP is going to look like when it is
	> done.  Either you are compatible with an ISO standard or you're not.
	> Being sort of close doesn't seem to buy all that much.

	Ross,

	I have been informed in private that these days it is a wise
	business decision to at least give the appearance of conforming to
	OSI standards.  Utilizing TCP and IP is fine because it is already
	here, but for something that needs to implemented from scratch, I've
	been told that many vendors feel contrained to an OSI solution.

	The argument about avoiding development costs by not implementing
	twice may not be as important as soothing nervous customers about
	multi-vendor OSI interoperability.  If vendors were only concerned
	with not implementing twice, they might have taken a harder look at
	the Simple Gateway Monitoring Protocol (SGMP) effort.

As a customer of network products, I'm not interested in the "appearance" of
a product in anyway;  just what it does.  It seems that products developed
to "soothe" customers and as useful as those developed to actually solve my
problems.

I was kinda glad that the vendors I buy products from weren't listed as being
part of the group that made this decision.  If I can't buy it, I'll have to
build it myself.  The vendor that builds it for me gets my business.  The
appearence of ISO compatibility is not something that I'd go out and build.

Just wanted to give you another "customer's" perspective.

Louis A. Mamakos
University of Maryland
Computer Science Center

jon@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) (05/30/88)

A couple of weeks ago i sent a message to this list asking
about management tools for TCP/IP type networks.

One ground rule was the public availability of said tools
(i.e. exclude expensive things, but include things at least
binary avail like tcpdump).

The categories for tools of interest were:

configuration
e.g. 	gated/rip/egp/routed 	- routes
	bind			- names
	rdist			- info distrib.
	info-servers		- distr. info
	db			- ucl distr. account
				  management
	thorn ds		- a nearly real X.500 (but over TCP						  as well as OSI)
				  directory service

fault finding/performance
	ping			- liveness/reachability/errors
	ttcp			- udp/tcp traffic gen.
	etherfind/tcpdump	- protocol behaviour
				- intruder detection...

statistics
	NSStat			- overall net stats
	probe			- ucl icmp based reachability
				  prog.
	flakeway		- ucl PC based fake
				  arpanet
	map			- UCL traffic analyser
				  helps decide where to
				  partition your LAN

So far i've had 6 replies saying "gosh that would be
a very useful list of info. to collate" and
0 replies saying, "heres a really neat program for
doing everything and it runs on anything bigger than
a pocket calculator, speaks LAT, X.25, can parse
ASN.1 and pretty print an X.400 header. it also
makes excuses for..."

can anyone help...

jon

keyles@rubbs.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Keyles) (02/10/89)

Hi,

Does anyone have a pointer to a SNMP package for a Sun and/or
an RT?  My firm is starting to have several machines that
produce snmp stats, but we have no way of looking at it.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael Keyles - via FidoNet node 1:107/520
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs!keyles

kzm@TWG.COM (Keith McCloghrie) (02/14/89)

Mike & Dave,

You both asked about the availability of a Network Management station
supporting SNMP on a Sun workstation.  We have such a product.  We also
have SNMP agent software to go with our TCP/IP products for VMS and
386/Streams.  If you would like more information, let me know.

Keith McCloghrie
The Wollongong Group.

erik@yarra.oz.au (Erik Lecis) (03/08/91)

Hi!

Does anyone have any opinions re: lan management packages?

I am currently investigating SG's Netvisualyzer, HP's LanProbe and
Sun's SunNet (I am particularly interested in Sun based offerings as the
site has a large investment in their workstations).
I will summarize responses.

Tx.
--
      -m------- Erik Lecis - Systems Engineer          E-mail: erik@yarra.oz.au
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation Pty Ltd

willis@cs.tamu.edu (Willis Marti) (03/08/91)

"Hi!

Does anyone have any opinions re: lan management packages?"

We have HP's LanProbe, which uses a specialized hardware box to gather data
and a PCompatible running Windows (ugh) to display info & command the box.
Connections can be direct (9600baud), over the same ethernet you're
monitoring or thru a builtin 2400 baud modem.  I love it for monitoring lower
level performance, and for being able to do some fancy packet tracing AT THE
SAME TIME!  So you can be monitoring netowrk 'health' and debugging somebody's
router problems...  Lots of other neat features...
We've used SGI's Netvisualyzer and, IMO, it's a different kind of beast.  More
like the next level up in terms of the picture you see.  I also believe that
you can't count on seeing *every* packet with a general purpose workstation.
So decide on what level of net mgmt you want.

 Willis F. Marti		Internet: willis@cs.tamu.edu
 Director, Computer Services Group, Dept of Computer Science, Texas A&M Univ.
 	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

nrm1838@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (James D. Cassell) (04/12/91)

  We are interested in anyone's experience in managing large router networks.
  Our network currently consists of 23 routers (cisco) connecting large
  (600+ hosts) LANs.  The router network will be expanded to bring in
  another 250-350 LANs (mostly much smaller LANS than are now on the
  network).

  We currently have no network management hardware or software (for the
  WAN stuff).  We have looked at cisco's NetCentral Station, but have
  heard mixed reviews of this product from other users (too slow, can't
  handle very large networks, etc.).

  Any information, experiences, war stories, etc. will be greatly
  appreciated.  We have our hands full managing the current 23 routers,
  I can't immagine 400 of them!

	     Thanks,
		 Jim

--