[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] 10baseT Installation costs

amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) (04/07/91)

Alot of people are talking about the costs of 10baseT vs. cheapnet.

My company engineers and INSTALLS large (50-1500 user) 10baseT nets and cable
plants.   Also FDDI.

10baseT is only cheaper when the net is over 100 users big.  Savings is in
administration costs.(adds moves and changes) and existing wire savings.
Little departmental nets don't benefit that way.
Large nets also benefit from existing phone wire.  We do cable plant audits
to test existing wire for 10baseT.  Almost 100% is suitable for ethernet
if we change out the 66 blocks for 110 or Krone...plus a few other secrets.
Alan Crawley
VP Engineering
APEX COMMUNICATIONS - MOUNTAIN VIEW CALIFORNIA - 415-967-9200

JRJONES@ALEX.STKATE.EDU (04/07/91)

Alan Crawley,

Could you please elaborate on the following, what are 110 or Krone, and
what is the benefit of them over 66 blocks?

> Almost 100% is suitable for ethernet if we change out the 66 blocks
> for 110 or Krone...plus a few other secrets.
> Alan Crawley
> VP Engineering
> APEX COMMUNICATIONS - MOUNTAIN VIEW CALIFORNIA - 415-967-9200

Having a lot of 66 blocks and thinking about 10baseT, I would like additional
info if possible.

Jim Jones

jrjones@alex.stkate.edu
612-690-6856

In article <40993@cup.portal.com> amc@cup.portal.com (Alan Michael Crawley) writes:
>10baseT is only cheaper when the net is over 100 users big.  Savings is in
>administration costs.(adds moves and changes) and existing wire savings.

Administration costs depend heavily on circumstances.  If you've got
an abundance of unsophisticated users who will happily unplug things at
random times, bus-based technologies like thinwire are a serious mistake,
and 10baseT is just what the doctor ordered, even for a small net.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

PLS@cup.portal.com (Paul L Schauble) (04/14/91)

I think I missed the beginning of this discussion....

When you say 10BaseT is cheaper, what are you comparing it to?

    ++PLS

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/16/91)

In article <41255@cup.portal.com> PLS@cup.portal.com (Paul L Schauble) writes:
>I think I missed the beginning of this discussion....
>
>When you say 10BaseT is cheaper, what are you comparing it to?
>
>    ++PLS

To this point, the main contender has been ThinNet (RG58 Coax), since it
does not require a Hub. I think 10baseT is better because it is physically
more reliable, and easier to connectorize and maintain. The wire is
cheaper, too.

Hey folks, I've noticed hubs are getting down in the $50/port range. Where
does that put us with this discussion? Are you ThinNet types gonna go away
and cry in your cornflakes yet? :-) (Just kidding, I like ThinNet too.)
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.