[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Machine names and trademark law

ji@cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (04/15/91)

I have a strange question:

Suppose I name a machine "foo.cs.columbia.edu", where "foo" is a
trademark or a registered trademark, e.g., the name of a video game, a
brand of consumer electronics, the make of an exotic car, or the name
of a computer manufacturer. Have I violated trademark law?

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 8120
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (04/15/91)

ji@cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:

>Suppose I name a machine "foo.cs.columbia.edu", where "foo" is a
>trademark or a registered trademark, e.g., the name of a video game, a
>brand of consumer electronics, the make of an exotic car, or the name
>of a computer manufacturer. Have I violated trademark law?

I hope not.  Remember, Zilog trademarked the letter "Z" and Microsoft
trademarked the letters "MS" when placed next to each other.

Thus naming anything "ZOOMS" would be a double trademark infringement.

I'm probably wasting my time posting this, as our news server doesn't seem
to be letting mail out of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu  |  Harry was too homely for Sally.  (I have proof.)

In article <1991Apr14.183245.345@cs.columbia.edu> ji@cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:
>Suppose I name a machine "foo.cs.columbia.edu", where "foo" is a
>trademark or a registered trademark, e.g., the name of a video game, a
>brand of consumer electronics, the make of an exotic car, or the name
>of a computer manufacturer. Have I violated trademark law?

Caution:  I am not a lawyer.  Consult a pro before doing anything rash. :-)

The idea behind trademark law is that a trademark denotes a particular
vendor's product, so that it will not be confused with competing products.
The theory is that you infringe on someone's trademark only when you use
it in a way that could cause such confusion.  The practice is that different
companies have very different ideas about what constitutes potential for
confusion, and being sued is painful and costly even if it fails.

In practice, the odds are that nobody would care.  The odds are good that
if anyone did care, they'd send you a nasty letter saying "change those
names or we'll sic our lawyers on you".  This still wouldn't be fun, mind
you.  Me, I'd be wary of using names that have anything to do with
electronics, but the exotic cars sound reasonably safe.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (04/16/91)

>>Suppose I name a machine "foo.cs.columbia.edu", where "foo" is a
>>trademark or a registered trademark, e.g., the name of a video game, a

>The idea behind trademark law is that a trademark denotes a particular
>vendor's product, so that it will not be confused with competing products.
>The theory is that you infringe on someone's trademark only when you use
>it in a way that could cause such confusion.

On the other hand, guess (;-}) which aerospace firm sued the
two-bit manufacturer of the:
	Stealth Condom - They'll never see you coming!

No cheating, now, class...........

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM