[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP problems under SunOS 4.1.1

brett@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Brett Sealey) (04/12/91)

Lately we have been playing with the "Beta SLIP for SunOS 4.0" written by
Rayan Zachariassen. We have been using it on Sun SPARCstation IPC's
running SunOS 4.1.1 (This may well be the problem).

Occasionally these machines crash with a "panic: mget" or even more rarely
a "panic: mfree" message.

Looking into the SLIP code I can see a MGET call within the tty_slip.c
file. MGET is a macro which can cause a "panic: mget" if the next mbuf on
the free list (mfree) is not correctly marked as "MT_FREE".

As I see it this is reasonable, the question is why does this condition
arise in the first place and, even more importantly, how can it be
prevented.

A comment in tty_slip.c indicates that :-
	/* (SLIP_CLUSTERS doesn't work under SunOS 4.0) */
Is this true under SunOS 4.1.1?

If anyone has any clues as to what could be causing this rather
embarassing problem I'd be very keen to hear from them.

Thanks (in advance :-)
       Brett Sealey
  __   __   ___ ____ ____
 /__) /__) /_    /    /				brett@solar.card.inpu.oz.au
/__) / \  /__   /    /					       Brett Sealey

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (04/12/91)

brett@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Brett Sealey) writes:
| Lately we have been playing with the "Beta SLIP for SunOS 4.0" written by
| Rayan Zachariassen. We have been using it on Sun SPARCstation IPC's
| running SunOS 4.1.1 (This may well be the problem).
|
| Occasionally these machines crash with a "panic: mget" or even more rarely
| a "panic: mfree" message.
|
| Looking into the SLIP code I can see a MGET call within the tty_slip.c
| file. MGET is a macro which can cause a "panic: mget" if the next mbuf on
| the free list (mfree) is not correctly marked as "MT_FREE".

	Oy veh ist mir!

	We suffered a minor variant of this on StunDOS 3.5, where one could
	get mgetclr panics by essmingly exhausting the mbuf space.  This
	sounds similar enough to make me suspicious.

	Can someone comment on the version of tcp/ip code used in SunOS 4.1.1?
	We only have sources for 3.0, and that's maybe BSD4.2 at the best (:-()

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu (04/12/91)

brett@solar.card.inpu.oz.au writes:
   Lately we have been playing with the "Beta SLIP for SunOS 4.0" written by
   Rayan Zachariassen. We have been using it on Sun SPARCstation IPC's
   running SunOS 4.1.1 (This may well be the problem).

   Occasionally these machines crash with a "panic: mget" or even more rarely
   a "panic: mfree" message.

I am using Rayan's code on a SunOS 4.1.1 Sun4/110.  It works fine
after you install Sun PatchID 100149-02, except for an occasional
assertion panic of the following form when sliplogin goes down (in my
case, when the modem line drops; I'm using it for dialup SLIP):

| assertion failed: vp->v_stream == stp, file: ../../os/str_io.c, line: 609
| panic: assertion failed

I've written a note about the problem to sunbugs@sun.com, but since it
involves use of a non-standard driver, I doubt it'll get much
attention.  Before installing 100149-02, I consistently got "panic:
mclput" whenever substantial amounts of data would begin to transfer.

Note that there exist both -01 and -02 versions of this fix; install
-02 to be maximally up-to-date.  The README for -02 notes that the -01
version didn't deal in IP options properly.

100149-02.tar.Z can be ftp'd from saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/slipware.

--karl

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/16/91)

Note that there now exists a -03 version of said patch :-)

>100149-02.tar.Z can be ftp'd from saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/slipware.

100149-03.tar.Z can be ftp'd from ftphost.cs.athabascau.ca:sun-patches/

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
           atha!cs.athabascau.ca!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

dave@fps.com (Dave Smith) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr12.140605.29819@oar.net> karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
>brett@solar.card.inpu.oz.au writes:
>I've written a note about the problem to sunbugs@sun.com, but since it
>involves use of a non-standard driver, I doubt it'll get much
>attention.  Before installing 100149-02, I consistently got "panic:
>mclput" whenever substantial amounts of data would begin to transfer.

I have been using SLIP 4.0 on SLC's under 4.1.1 for about three weeks now
and have run a goodly number of megabytes through them.  I saw this mclput
panic fairly frequently for a while and then saw a real high correlation
with the answering side of the connection (I'm using dialup over T2500's)
panicing when the connection was dropped.  When I switched to V.42 mode
the panic's went away.  My feeling is that the utter garbage you get
when the other side hangs up is confusing the TCP routines incredibly
since they aren't used to being fed complete crap.

--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego        ucsd!celit!dave or dave@fps.com