[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Packet drivers for Proteon Pronet-10

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (04/08/91)

Can anyone tell me if packet drivers for Proteon Pro-net 10 boards
exist?  If not, is anyone using NCSA telnet with the Pronet-10 cards,
and how are you doing it?

Thanks,
Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (04/09/91)

As far as I know, there never have been any implementations of Class 2
(Proteon ProNET-10 token ring) Packet Drivers.  PC-IP has a linked-in
driver for the P1300 interface, so do some of the commercial products.
Proteon has an non-board-independent interface-sharing spec, which
they've implemented in their Netware and we in our PC-222 part.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (04/12/91)

as jbvb@ftp.com writes:
>As far as I know, there never have been any implementations of Class 2
>(Proteon ProNET-10 token ring) Packet Drivers.  PC-IP has a linked-in

I'd have to agree with James as far as Class 2 goes, but not Class 1.

While the proNET 10 technology is nice, you are better off using it
to imitate a Class 1 ethernet system.  That's what I did and it works
perfectly for every commercial and PD TCP/IP package configured for Ethernet
The 48 bit Ethernet address space can be nicely made from a zero extended
8 bit proNET address or even a zero extended 32 bit IP address.

I'd love to give you our driver, but it works using our local network/disk
bios so it would not be at all useful to you.  However, if you are willing
to do the development, I could offer some useful hints.

Erick
Erick Engelke                                       Watstar Computer Network
Watstar Network Guy                                   University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca              (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965

j_rodin@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (04/13/91)

>As far as I know, there never have been any implementations of Class 2
>(Proteon ProNET-10 token ring) Packet Drivers.  PC-IP has a linked-in
>driver for the P1300 interface, so do some of the commercial products.
>Proteon has an non-board-independent interface-sharing spec, which
>they've implemented in their Netware and we in our PC-222 part.

Proteon is working on NDIS drivers for their cards, which should be available
real-soon-now.  Whenever those driver become available, one could use the
dis_pkt driver to run packet driver based protocols over Proteon cards.

Also I believe Proteon supports the ASI interface.  I don't know if a packet
driver-to-ASI translater exists, but ASI does support multiple concurrent
protocol stacks.

Jon
j_rodin@cnd.hp.com

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (04/17/91)

    Proteon is working on NDIS drivers for their cards....

I am guessing here, but I suspect that these NDIS drivers are actually for
their 802.5-compatible interfaces.  NDIS does not attempt to hide the
characteristics of the LAN media from the protocol stack, and the spec
recommends that driver developers who have something which isn't 802.3 or
802.5 (and ProNET-10 certainly isn't) make it look like one or the other
(presumably so that LAN Manager only has to understand those two media).
You could do a ProNET-10 NDIS driver that understood the differences between
IP-over-Ether and IP-over-Pro10 and translated, but I don't think they have...

    Also I believe Proteon supports the ASI interface.

Only on 802.5-compatible interfaces.

j_rodin@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (04/17/91)

>Proteon is working on NDIS drivers for their cards, which should be available
>real-soon-now.  Whenever those driver become available, one could use the
>dis_pkt driver to run packet driver based protocols over Proteon cards.
>
>Also I believe Proteon supports the ASI interface.  I don't know if a packet
>driver-to-ASI translater exists, but ASI does support multiple concurrent
>protocol stacks.

Well, I was only partially right here.  Proteon is only working on NDIS drivers
for the ProNET-4 cards.  And the ASI is probably only for ProNET-4, as well.

Jon
j_rodin@cnd.hp.com