[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] whereis service needed

hal@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (04/10/91)

Here the issue:

I am seeing fully qualified domain names with parts I don't recognize.
Not that these are wrong but just unfamilar. It would be useful to
have access to a server of some kind that would map fragements of a
domain name into an geographical location by political subdivision.
This might be a useful extension to the current domain names system.
Any thoughts??

kasten@EUROPA.CLEARPOINT.COM (Frank Kastenholz) (04/11/91)

 > From tcp-ip-RELAY@nic.ddn.mil Wed Apr 10 18:08:51 1991
 > From: hal@gateway.mitre.org
 > To: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil
 > Subject: whereis service needed
 >

 > Here the issue:
 >
 > I am seeing fully qualified domain names with parts I don't recognize.
 > Not that these are wrong but just unfamilar. It would be useful to
 > have access to a server of some kind that would map fragements of a
 > domain name into an geographical location by political subdivision.
 > This might be a useful extension to the current domain names system.
 > Any thoughts??

WHOIS does a reasonably adequate job of starting one on
one's way -- for domains that are registered at the NIC.

Here is the output when I "whois" my domain......

europa{kasten}147: whois clearpoint.com
Clearpoint Corporation (CLEARPOINT-DOM)
   35 Parkwood Drive
   Hopkingon, MA 01748

   Domain Name: CLEARPOINT.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      O'Conner, Russell  (RO88)  russ@CLEARPOINT.COM
      (508) 435-0900 ext 7454
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Emery, David I.  (DIE2)  die@CLEARPOINT.COM
      (508) 435-0900 ext 7462

   Record last updated on 28-Sep-90.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   CRACKERS.CLEARPOINT.COM      131.226.1.60
   NIC.NEAR.NET                 192.52.71.4
   TIBERIUS.CLEARPOINT.COM      131.226.3.1

To see this host record with registered users, repeat the command with
a star ('*') before the name; or, use '%' to show JUST the registered users.

Frank Kastenholz
<take a guess where I work!>

proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) (04/13/91)

kasten@EUROPA.CLEARPOINT.COM (Frank Kastenholz) writes:

> > From tcp-ip-RELAY@nic.ddn.mil Wed Apr 10 18:08:51 1991
> > From: hal@gateway.mitre.org
> > To: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil
> > Subject: whereis service needed
> >

> > Here the issue:
> >
> > I am seeing fully qualified domain names with parts I don't recognize.
> > Not that these are wrong but just unfamilar. It would be useful to
> > have access to a server of some kind that would map fragements of a
> > domain name into an geographical location by political subdivision.
> > This might be a useful extension to the current domain names system.
> > Any thoughts??
> >

>WHOIS does a reasonably adequate job of starting one on
>one's way -- for domains that are registered at the NIC.

[[ His domain listing deleted. ]]

I thought the NIC was for the Milnet only.  Am I understanding you correctly
that the NIC can also provide me with domains outside the Milnet?  If that
is true, how does one go about finding a site when one doesn't have Telnet
capability?

  Phil Roberts           |      Internet:  proberts@disk.uucp

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr13.033331.7658@disk.uucp> proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) writes:

>I thought the NIC was for the Milnet only.  Am I understanding you correctly
>that the NIC can also provide me with domains outside the Milnet?  If that
>is true, how does one go about finding a site when one doesn't have Telnet
>capability?
>
>--
>  ***************************************************************************
>  Phil Roberts           |      Internet:  proberts@disk.uucp

Yes, it does include sites outside the Milnet. It also includes the names
of the system administrators, and all the registered names of the users.
Since the government is fairly good about registering it's employees, you
can find out the name, address, and phone number of just about any person
who works for the government and who has a login ID on an Internet
connected host. Finger food.

Try a whois on my site. You will see a couple of contacts, and a couple of
the machines in the domain, but since I am not a registered user, you will
see no entry for me.

--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.