[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] finger weather is discontinued

caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) (04/12/91)

Well, I've been the one who has announced in this list the services
provided to the Internet community by stormy.atmos.washington.edu, and
now announce its death (temporarily?). This is what you will now get
by fingering weather @stormy.atmos.washington.edu

[stormy.atmos.washington.edu]
Dear Users of Weather Forecasts,

The Department of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington
receives NWS weather information through a 3rd party vendor.  We get
this data at a reduced rate from the vendor.  However, as part of the
contract we are not supposed to distribute this data outside the
University without paying an additional $150/month licensing fee.  My
department is unwilling to pay such a fee (they aren't too crazy
about providing such a service in the first place).

Therefore, I must restrict access to our forecast information to the
University of Washington.  I am sorry to do this, but I will not
knowingly violate the terms of our contract.  I do not think offers to
pay the extra $150/month will make any difference in this decision.
If you are on a campus with a Meteorology or Atmospheric Sciences
Department, you might try seeing if they will locally distribute such
information.

I hope you found the service useful while it lasted, and I hope that
the situation will change someday, and that I can provide such a
service in the future.

        Harry Edmon (harry@atmos.washington.edu)

At least my initial posting has been useful to bring up information
(see the subsequent postings) that were unknown to the most.

Francesco Caserta

Date: 18 Apr 91 03:05:07 GMT
From: dan@gacvx2.gac.edu
Subject: Re: finger weather is discontinued
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip

In article <441@platypus.uofs.edu>,
bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

> I'm not sure how this commercial outfit gets the data, but it apparently
> originates at the various NWS offices.  There was a real nice X-windows
> Weather Map program that just suffered the same fate.
> Now I have a suggestion for a possible solution.
> Maybe what is needed is for people to find out how this information is
> collected from the NWS and then if possible, try and find INTERNET sites
> near each of the NWS stations (I am near AVP) and get them a connection
> so that we can gather the info ourselves.  Then all we need is a central
> site to hold and distribute the information.  After all, isn't it our tax
> money that is generating this data in the first place??
>
> bill
>

> --
>      Bill Gunshannon          |        If this statement wasn't here,
>      bill@platypus.uofs.edu   |  This space would be left intentionally blank
>      bill@tuatara.uofs.edu    |         #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Hmmm.  How many institutions have a group that is doing some sort of long term
weather data gathering.  I seems to be a popular study subject here in the
midwest, perhaps because of all these fields of crops arround here.  Here at
GAC we have an Apple // that is hooked to a  unit that records temp, wind
speed, air presure, etc.  It is hooked to the Apple // by a serial port.  The
Apple // records the data to disk and draws graphs on the screen.  Ever since
the weather info server was localized I have been wondering if its data and
data from others like it could be combined into something usefull.  It wouldn't
be as much fun as forecasts, but might get a group trying to make it work a
grant.  The grant might even be able to pay for a couple of years of forcasts
from a weather service.  It is data that is usefull to researchers, sounds like
just the thing NSFnet exists for.  Hmmm...

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

Date: 17 Apr 91 14:06:49 GMT
From: scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip

'finger weather' still works for me,...

I just stick my finger out in the weather.

If it gets wet it is raining, if it gets bright it is sunny, if it turns
white it is snowing, if it gets frost bite it's cold...

:-)
--
<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com|UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott

bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (04/16/91)

kurt@photon.tamu.EDU (Kurt Freiberger) (04/17/91)

In article <441@platypus.uofs.edu>, bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:

|> I'm not sure how this commercial outfit gets the data, but it apparently
|> originates at the various NWS offices.  There was a real nice X-windows
|> Weather Map program that just suffered the same fate.
|> Now I have a suggestion for a possible solution.
|> Maybe what is needed is for people to find out how this information is
|> collected from the NWS and then if possible, try and find INTERNET sites
|> near each of the NWS stations (I am near AVP) and get them a connection
|> so that we can gather the info ourselves.  Then all we need is a central
|> site to hold and distribute the information.  After all, isn't it our tax
|> money that is generating this data in the first place??

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  Bill, I'm surprised at your naivete!!  They are charging you for the SERVICE of providing this valuable information!  After all, it probably takes the equivalent of a bank of Crays to process this so it can be
sent to all the radio and TV stations so that they can come up with their authoritative weather predicions.  We mere mortals cannot be trusted with this raw information.  It might upset the balance of civilization as we know it!

As Louie XIV said, "It's good to be the king."

#include <boatload_of_smileys>

Cheers, Kurt

P.S.  Willis still doesn't have his call; he's climbing the wall!!!! 8-}

--
Kurt Freiberger, wb5bbw	  kurt@cs.tamu.edu   409/847-8706
Dept. of Computer Science, Texas A&M University

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) (04/17/91)

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (04/18/91)

In article <14784@helios.TAMU.EDU> kurt@photon.tamu.EDU (Kurt Freiberger) writes:
+Tsk, tsk, tsk.  Bill, I'm surprised at your naivete!!  They are charging you
+for the SERVICE of providing this valuable information!  After all, it
+probably takes the equivalent of a bank of Crays to process this so it can be
+sent to all the radio and TV stations so that they can come up with their
+authoritative weather predicions.  We mere mortals cannot be trusted with
+this raw information.  It might upset the balance of civilization as we
+know it!

There is a magazine titled, 'Weather', which has a number of gizmos
to pull down weather maps which are broadcast on some frequency or
another, I can't recall specifically. The results can be displayed
on the ubiquitus PC or the like.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu