[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] finger weather

caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) (04/04/91)

The Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
provides the following service, and also unusual application of finger.
Do you know of any other unusual application of finger?
(RFC742, RFC1194 and RFC1196)

finger [...]@stormy.atmos.washington.edu

[stormy.atmos.washington.edu]
Format: finger weather[-station[-type[-day]]e.g.:   finger weather-SEA-zone
where: station = station for required area or hiway (default=SEA)
       type = disc, zone, warn, extend (default=zone)
       day = day of month forecast was issued (default=today)

Washington                      SEA          Seattle
Oregon                          PDX          Portland
Northern and central California SFO          San Francisco
Southern California             LAX          Los Angeles
Hawaii                          HNL          Honolulu
Nevada                          RNO          Reno
Idaho                           BOI          Boise
Montana                         GTF          Great Falls
Wyoming                         CYS          Cheyenne
Utah                            SLC          Salt Lake City
Arizona                         PHX          Phoenix
Colorado                        DEN          Denver
New Mexico                      ABQ          Albuquerque
North Dakota                    BIS          Bismark
South Dakota                    FSD          Sioux Falls
Nebraska                        OMA          Omaha
Kansas                          TOP          Topeka
Oklahoma                        OKC          Oklahoma City
Western Texas                   LBB          Lubbock
Northern Texas                  FTW          Fort Worth
Southern Texas                  SAT          San Antonio
Minnesota                       MSP          Minneapolis
Iowa                            DSM          Des Moines
Missouri                        STL          St. Louis
Arkansas                        LIT          Little Rock
Louisiana                       NEW          New Orleans
Mississippi                     JAN          Jackson
Wisconsin                       MKE          Milwaukee
Michigan                        ARB          Ann Arbor
Illinois                        CHI          Chicago
Indiana                         IND          Indianapolis
Ohio                            CLE          Cleveland
Kentucky                        SDF          Louisville
Tennessee                       MEM          Memphis
Alabama and northwest Florida   BHM          Birmingham
Georgia                         ATL          Atlanta
Florida (except northwest)      MIA          Miami
South Carolina                  CAE          Columbia
North Carolina                  RDU          Raleigh
Virginia                        RIC          (issued by WBC)
West Virginia                   CRW          Charleston
DC and vicinity                 WBC          Washington
Western Pennsyvania             PIT          Pittsburgh
Eastern Pennsyvania             PHL          Philadelphia
Western New York                BUF          Buffalo
Interior eastern New York       ALB          Albany
S.E. New York and N. New Jersey NYC          New York City
Southern New England states     BOS          Boston
Vermont                         BTV          (issued by ALB)
New Hampshire                   CON          (issued by PWM)
Maine                           PWM          Portland

Francesco Caserta

metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.031506.6778@athena.mit.edu> caserta@athena.mit.edu (Francesco Caserta) writes:
>The Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
>provides the following service, and also unusual application of finger.
>Do you know of any other unusual application of finger?

The RFC for finger specifies fingers behavior when applied to coke
machines. It is my understanding that CMU used to have a coke machine
on the internet that followed the stated behavior, although this may
be an urban legend.

Perry Metzger

rsk@hazel.circ.upenn.edu (Rick Kulawiec) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.182115.3531@watson.ibm.com> metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) writes:
>The RFC for finger specifies fingers behavior when applied to coke
>machines. It is my understanding that CMU used to have a coke machine
>on the internet that followed the stated behavior, although this may
>be an urban legend.

I think it was for real...the three notes below cover the story,
and are probably worth reposting here since it's been a while since
they first appeared.

---Rsk

Originally-From: tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane)

This story is old news to ex-CMU folk, but may be amusing to others.

Since time immemorial (well, maybe 1970) the Carnegie-Mellon CS department
has maintained a departmental Coke machine, which sells bottles of Coke
for a dime or so less than other vending machines around campus.  As no
Real Programmer can function without caffeine, the machine is very popular.
(I recall hearing that it had the highest sales volume of any Coke machine
in the Pittsburgh area.)  The machine is loaded on a rather erratic
schedule by grad student volunteers.

In the mid-seventies expansion of the department caused people's offices
to be located ever further away from the main terminal room where the Coke
machine stood.  It got rather annoying to traipse down to the third floor
only to find the machine empty; or worse, to shell out hard-earned cash to
receive a recently loaded, still warm Coke.  One day a couple of people got
together to devise a solution.

They installed microswitches in the Coke machine to sense how many bottles
were present in each of its six columns of bottles.  The switches were
hooked up to CMUA, the PDP-10 that was then the main departmental
computer.  A server program was written to keep tabs on the Coke machine's
state, including how long each bottle had been in the machine.  When you
ran the companion status inquiry program, you'd get a display that might
look like this:

		EMPTY	EMPTY	1h 3m
		COLD	COLD	1h 4m

This let you know that cold Coke could be had by pressing the lower-left
or lower-center button, while the bottom bottles in the two right-hand
columns had been loaded an hour or so beforehand, so were still warm.
(I think the display changed to just "COLD" after the bottle had been
there 3 hours.)

The final piece of the puzzle was needed to let people check Coke status
when they were logged in on some other machine than CMUA.  CMUA's Finger
server was modified to run the Coke status program whenever someone
fingered the nonexistent user "coke".  (For the uninitiated, Finger
normally reports whether a specified user is logged in, and if so where.)
Since Finger requests are part of standard ARPANET (now Internet)
protocols, people could check the Coke machine from any CMU computer by
saying "finger coke@cmua".  In fact, you could discover the Coke machine's
status from any machine anywhere on the Internet!  Not that it would do
you much good if you were a few thousand miles away...

As far as I know nothing similar has been done elsewhere, so CMU can
legitimately boast of having the only Coke machine on the Internet.

The Coke machine programs were used for over a decade, and were even
rewritten for Unix Vaxen when CMUA was retired in the early eighties.
The end came just a couple years ago, when the local Coke bottler
discontinued the returnable, coke-bottle-shaped bottles.  The old machine
couldn't handle the nonreturnable, totally-uninspired-shape bottles, so it
was replaced by a new vending machine.  This was not long after the New
Coke fiasco (undoubtedly the century's greatest example of fixing what
wasn't broken).  The combination of these events left CMU Coke lovers
sufficiently disgruntled that no one has bothered to wire up the new
machine.

I'm a little fuzzy about the dates, but I believe all the other details
are accurate.  The man page for the second-generation (Unix) Coke programs
credits the hardware work to John Zsarnay, the software to David Nichols
and Ivor Durham.  I don't recall who did the original PDP-10 programs.

				tom lane

==========
Orginally-From: sgw@cad.cs.cmu.edu (Stephen Wadlow)
Orginal-Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Orginal-Subject: Re: The only Coke machine on the Internet
Orginal-Date: 11 Dec 89 20:26:30 GMT

In article <7295@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
>This story is old news to ex-CMU folk, but may be amusing to others.
[story of the CMU coke machine]

At the annual Jimmy Tsang's dinner expedition  last saturday, I
was talking with a member of the CS Facilities staff [Hi Steve :-)]
who is currently working on the new hardware for the coke server.
In addition to monitoring the status of the coke machine, the new
server will re-implement the JF (junk food) protocol, telling you
the status of the CS M&M dispenser and other CS-affiliated junk
food dispensers.  It's hoped that this will all be finished and installed
by early next year, such that any internet site will be able to
finger coke@cs.cmu.edu once again.

An addendum to the coke story is that for quite sometime there was a
Perq sitting behind a large glass window in front of the elevators
on the third floor of science hall that frequently ran a variation
of the coke program that would display bar graphs indicating the
amount of time since the machine had been filled.  You now didn't
even have to be logged in to find out if the coke was cold, rather
you could just be riding by on the elevator and decide on the fly
if you wanted to grab a cold coke.

You used to (and still may) be able to finger weather@hermes.ai.mit.edu
to find out what the weather was like on the 9th floor of tech square
(the ai labs).

			steve

==========
Originally-From: colbath@cs.rochester.edu (Sean Colbath)

I don't think the students at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) get
this newsgroup, so I'll relate this (true) story.  At UR, there is an
organization known as the Computer Interest Floor, an area of campus housing
where computer oriented people can get together.  RIT has a similar
organization, known as CSH (Computer Science House, or...).  Many of their
members are quite hardware oriented.  Well, apparently they found an old
slightly malfunctioning coke machine that was being thrown out (can-style).
They decided to install this on their hall, but were informed by the powers
that be that the university had granted a monopoly on vending machines to a
city vending machine service, and they couldn't set it up.  So, they decided
to come up with a way to get around this rule:  they changed the coke
machine from a vending machine to a peripheral!

The vending machine has a serial line running from it to one of the unix
systems.  It looks much like a regular machine, except it has a red
calculator-like display that says "Coke" on it.  If you press a button,
it'll tell you how many sodas are in that particular bin, or "Empty".  Next
to it is a terminal with the time of day displayed, and a coke logo.  To buy
a coke, all you have to do is to "log on" to your coke machine account at
the terminal, look at the status report, and "buy" your coke by selecting
from a menu.  Each user had a bank account that was added to by giving the
machine maintainers more money.

Now, this isn't all -- you could buy your coke from any terminal in their
housing section (every room had one, and they had two semi-public terminal
areas.  If you wanted to, you could program in a delay before the machine
dropped your coke, so you wouldn't get down the hall to find someone had
snarfed your coke.  Apparently they wanted coke to come do a commercial
showing someone hacking on a terminal, pausing with a thirsty look on their
face, type "coke", race down the hallway, and arrive just in time to have
the machine plop a soda in their hand...!

Sean Colbath
colbath@cs.rochester.edu			...uunet!rochester!colbath

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (04/05/91)

   Date: 4 Apr 91 18:21:15 GMT
   From: decwrl!uunet.uu.net!bywater!arnor!halley!metzger  (Perry E. Metzger)

   The RFC for finger specifies fingers behavior when applied to coke
   machines. It is my understanding that CMU used to have a coke machine
   on the internet that followed the stated behavior, although this may
   be an urban legend.

No, it's true. CMU did have a coke machine on the Internet.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580, 213) (04/05/91)

Alas, the weather finger service at <stormy.atmos.washington.edu>
is not more, it's been replaced by an equivalent RPC-based service.
The RPC-client source code can be obtained by fingering "weather"
at the above host.

-- Denis

smith@newsserver.sfu.ca (Richard Smith) (04/05/91)

Here is what fingering "coke" will get you now:

[cs.cmu.edu]

[ Forwarding coke as "gripe@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu" ]

[VEGA.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU]
Login name: gripe                       In real life: Gripe
Directory: /usr1/gripe                  Shell: /usr/cs/bin/csh
Last login Tue Mar  5 10:22 on ttyP7 from GLN.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU
Mail came on Fri Apr  5 09:57, last read on Fri Apr  5 09:01
Plan:
CS/RI User Services

Software and hardware requests, bug reports and fixes, general questions
about the facility -- all of these can be sent to "gripe".

Gripe mail is *NOT* constantly monitored.  If you have a problem which
requires immediate attention, please call the CS Operator (x2607).

smith@newsserver.sfu.ca (Richard Smith) (04/06/91)

"weather" is now a RPC which will produce similar results (i.e. the
weather for your locality - if you live in the U.S :->). I downloaded it
and tried it - it works.

...r

hollings@poona.cs.wisc.edu (Jeff Hollingsworth) (04/06/91)

|> As far as I know nothing similar has been done elsewhere, so CMU can
|> legitimately boast of having the only Coke machine on the Internet.

Here at the University of Wisconsin we were *FORCED* to computerize our Coke
machine a year ago (or they would take it away).  The University had
given an exclusive vending contract to a local vending company.  That company
didn't like the fact we were under cutting their prices.  But they did permit
"coffee clubs" to continue.  The idea was people would pay into a club and
then only people who payed in could take coffee from the pot.  We decided to
do the same thing with our Coke machine.  A small bit of hardware was built to
activiate the Coke machine via a computer, and a program was written to track
coke accounts and keep their balances.  The coke machine was also modified so
that it would NOT take money and could only be activated from the computer.
So I guess Wisconsin can claim the only Coke machine that can be controlled
via the Internet.

Jeff Hollingsworth					Work: (608) 262-6617
Internet: hollings@cs.wisc.edu				Home: (608) 256-4839
X.400: <pn=Jeff.Hollingsworth;ou=cs;o=uw-madison;prmd=xnren;c=US>

hollings@poona.cs.wisc.edu (Jeff Hollingsworth) (04/06/91)

!>
!> As far as I know nothing similar has been done elsewhere, so CMU can
!> legitimately boast of having the only Coke machine on the Internet.

Here at the University of Wisconsin we were *FORCED* to computerize our Coke
machine a year ago (or they would take it away).  The universion had
given an exclusive vending contract to a local vending company.  But they
did prmit "coffee clubs" to continue.  The idea is that people pay into a
club and then only people in the club get to drink from the coffee.  We decided
to do the same thing with our Coke machine.  A small bit of hardware was built
to activate the Coke machine via a computer, and a program was written to track
coke accounts and keep their balances.  The coke machine was also modified so
that it would NOT take money and could only be activated from the computer.
So I guess Wisconsin can claim the only Coke machine that can be controlled
via the Internet.

Jeff Hollingsworth					Work: (608) 262-6617
Internet: hollings@cs.wisc.edu				Home: (608) 256-4839
X.400: <pn=Jeff.Hollingsworth;ou=cs;o=uw-madison;prmd=xnren;c=US>

Rudy.Nedved@RUDY.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU (04/06/91)

John,

You know your stuff.

CMU still has a coke machine on the network. Alas because of software
upgrades being constant that little trick has been divorced from the
finger software.

Under finger we had coke machine status and "tingle" status...

At the current time we have network service for the coke machine and
for our M&M machine. We have this under the "junk food" service.

-Rudy

In article <1991Apr5.192823.400@spool.cs.wisc.edu> hollings@poona.cs.wisc.edu (Jeff Hollingsworth) writes:
>So I guess Wisconsin can claim the only Coke machine that can be controlled
>via the Internet.

Sorry, but Thinking Machines has had its Coke machine on the Internet for
at least five years.  If you telnet to Coke5.Think.COM, each character you
type is as if a nickel were dropped into the slot.

The subnet Coke5 is on a subnet to which we don't allow telnet from the
outside world, so you won't have much luck trying this.  But it works
in-house.  There's a terminal sitting next to the machine, and users can
type their name, get their drink, and then the price is deducted from their
paycheck (we also use the payroll deduction system for lunch and the
postage meter).
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

les@GANG-OF-FOUR.STANFORD.EDU (Les Earnest) (04/10/91)

>> As far as I know nothing similar has been done elsewhere, so CMU can
>> legitimately boast of having the only Coke machine on the Internet.
>
>  Here at the University of Wisconsin we were *FORCED* to computerize our Coke
>  machine a year ago (or they would take it away).
.  .  .
>  The coke machine was also modified so
>  that it would NOT take money and could only be activated from the computer.
>  So I guess Wisconsin can claim the only Coke machine that can be controlled
>  via the Internet.

A vending machine was connected to the SAIL computer at Stanford
around 1973, which I believe was much earlier than any other computer-
controlled vending machine.  It sold snacks, soft drinks, and beer.
Everything could be purchased for cash or credit except the beer,
which could only be bought on credit and then only if the buyer was
over 21.  Any attempt by an underage person to buy beer elicited the
error message "Sorry, kid."

The national wire services ran a story on this machine at the time and
some representatives of one of the major vending machine manufacturers
came to see if they could turn it into a product.  They were
apparently deterred by the fact that they didn't understand diddly
about computers.  They also were put off by the fact that the computer
being used for this modest task (a large DEC 10) cost about $1 million.

SAIL was one of the earliest systems on ARPAnet and, for no good
reason, has been recording both its machine room temperature and the
outside air temperature at 10 minute intervals for the last 20 years.
SAIL and its vending machine are still in use today at the Computer
Science Department at Stanford, but they will soon part company --
SAIL is scheduled to die on June 6, its 25th birthday.  It has lived
a rather full life as computers go.

	-Les Earnest (Les@SAIL.Stanford.edu)

>The RFC for finger specifies fingers behavior when applied to coke
>machines. It is my understanding that CMU used to have a coke machine
>on the internet that followed the stated behavior, although this may
>be an urban legend.

Well, the specified behavior is:

  2.5.5.  Vending machines

     Vending machines SHOULD respond to a {C} request with a list of all
     items currently available for purchase and possible consumption.
     Vending machines SHOULD respond to a {U}{C} request with a detailed
     count or list of the particular product or product slot.  Vending
     machines should NEVER NEVER EVER eat requests.  Or money.

When last I tried fingering CMU's Coke machine, several years ago, it
did report the status of the Cokes - or, at least, what I received back
was a report that purported to be the status of the Cokes in the
machine.  I don't know if that was a *real* status report or not; I also
don't know if the machine in question ever ate money.

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (04/12/91)

Is anyone archiving this thread of postings (interesting devices attached
to networks)? I am interested in receiving the archive when this discussion
dies down.

respond directly to me or post to the group.

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (04/22/91)

In <1991Apr21.205237.24332@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, caserta@athena.mit.edu writes:
>The Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
>provides the following service, and also unusual application of finger.
>Do you know of any other unusual application of finger?

   NO, they do NOT anymore. The company they get the information from
  has it in their contract that the information can't be redistributed.
  (Without a $150 fee, but that's not applicable. They have to keep it
  on the UofW campus.)

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone