[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] HSSI

CHAPMAN@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (John T Chapman) (03/12/91)

Eugene,

You were interested in HSSI.  HSSI stands for the High Speed Serial
Interface.  It is a serial data interface capable of running up to 52
Mbps.  The electrical signal levels are balanced ECL, and the
connector/cable used is the same as is used in SCSI-2.

HSSI was conceived and designed by cisco Systems and T3plus Networking
as an interface between cisco's router product and T3plus's DS3 DSU
product.  cisco and T3plus have put this spec forward as an open
specification for industry use.

Originally defined in October of 1989, it is now in use by over 50
companies world wide.  HSSI is becoming a defacto industry standard
for data interfaces which need to communicate to DS3 equipment, or to
other data facilities which exceed 10 Mbps.

I will send you a copy in the mail.  If anyone else would like a copy,
please contact me at the address below.  Your name will also go on a
distribution list to receive any future updates.

John T. Chapman

chapman@cisco.com

cisco Systems
1525 O'Brien Drive
Menlo Park, Ca 94555

-------

JCHAPMAN@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (John T Chapman) (04/22/91)

To Everyone Who Requested the HSSI Spec:

My apologies to everyone for taking so long to get back with copies
of the HSSI specification.  We have received so many requests that
we have decided to offer it in the form of an anonymous FTP at
FTP.CISCO.COM

The file name is HSSI.NOT .  There are two diagrams which are part of
appendix A and B which are not available yet until I can get the data
files translated.  The diagrams in Appendix A and B, however, are
redundant and are fully described in the text of the document.  They
will be called HSSI-A and HSSI-B with an extention of .PSF or
.NOT.

Attached is the original note explaining HSSI.  Thanks for everyone's
interest.

John T. Chapman

Date: Mon 11 Mar 91 17:18:55-PST
From: John T Chapman <CHAPMAN@mathom.cisco.com>