[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How to change the login message of telnetd?

splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) (04/19/91)

Hi,

Does anyone out there know how to change the default login message of
telnetd? For example, on my machine, when you telnet to it, it gives

HP-UX hostname 5.5 B 9000/330

login:

I want to be able to add an additional message to this login message. Is
there any way of doing this without having a customized version of /bin/login
or /etc/telnetd?

--
Seng-Poh Lee
splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr19.143745.14498@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) writes:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone out there know how to change the default login message of
> telnetd? For example, on my machine, when you telnet to it, it gives
>
> HP-UX hostname 5.5 B 9000/330
>
> login:
>
> I want to be able to add an additional message to this login message. Is
> there any way of doing this without having a customized version of /bin/login
> or /etc/telnetd?
>
> --
> Seng-Poh Lee
> splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu

The /etc/gettydefs has the login message

Thanks,

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

splee@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Seng-Poh Lee, Speedy) (04/23/91)

Thanks to all of those who responded suggesting the gettydefs or gettytabs
file, but that only does it for a serial login.  It doesn't work for a telnet
login.

The solution turns out to be replacing the telnetd entry in inetd.conf with
a script file which first puts out the message and then execs telnetd. This
works, I tried it.
--
Seng-Poh Lee
splee@gnu.ai.mit.edu

wisner@ims.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (04/23/91)

If you want to change your telnet banner, get the latest version of telnet
from ucbvax.berkeley.edu (pub/telnet.91.03.25.tar.Z), modify the banner
at the end of telnetd/ext.h, and install it.

Even if you don't want to change your telnet banner, get the latest version
of telnet from ucbvax.berkeley.edu (pub/telnet.91.03.25.tar.Z) and install it.

Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
"Syzygy, inexorable, pancreatic, phantasmagoria--anyone who
can use those four words in one sentence will never have to
do manual labor." -- W. P. Kinsella