[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Is the DNS "working"?dir

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (04/24/91)

In article <7335@unix386.Convergent.COM>, markb@unix386.Convergent.COM (Mark Beyer) writes:
> Personally, I think the DNS administrative interface was designed by the IRS.
> It has to rank right up there with root canal work as one of the most fun
> things to contemplate.
>
> But you're right, it's probably the administrators' fault(s).
>
> ( :-) ).
> --
> Mark Beyer
> markb@convergent.com
> {uunet,sun,decwrl,hplabs}!pyramid!ctnews!markb

Hmmm...  DNS was tough, but I have run into lost worst since.  SNMP, the
sendmail.cf file, and others make DNS seem like a pleasant dream.  They too all
made sense after falling into an approximation of the mindset of a
stereotypical Berkeley grad student.  Even using UNIX has become enjoyable. :-)

Seriously, a document describing how named really works, with a how and why it
should be set up to work on the Internet.  I got lots of good advice on setting
up named from my secondary sites.  I had not heard about setting the TTL value
low on sites whos addresses are about to change.  I have had few problems using
named on a UNIX system, however the mostly VMS site down the road has had many
problems with two unstable DSN implimentations.  Because of the unstable DNS
servers any site wanting to talk to the site down the road also have problems.
DNS has its flaws, but you won't catch me going back to host tables any time
soon.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet