[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Packet driver over NDIS

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (04/25/91)

I've been experimenting lately with the packet->NDIS converter from
FTP Software.  I cannot seem to get the converter bound to the NDIS
driver; netbind.exe just hangs my machine.  One machine can load the
modules in and initialize the ethernet card, but no binding can take
place.   Another machine with a different (3Com 3c523) ethernet board
cannot get initialized (using the elnkmc.dos file dated April 9 at
FTP's site).   I would appreciate any pointers on putting the pieces
together in the right order; I feel I'm extremely close to a solution.
Has anyone successfully used this combination?
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (04/25/91)

Here is the relevant part of my CONFIG.SYS:

	device=c:\etc\protman.sys
	device=c:\etc\ni5210.dos
	device=c:\etc\dis_pkt.dos

PROTMAN has to be first.  Here is my \LANMAN\PROTOCOL.INI:

	;The Protocol Manager:
	[protocol manager]
	    drivername = PROTMAN$

	; MACs:
	; Racal Interlan NI5210
	[NI5210]
	    BASEMEM    = 0XD0000
	    DRIVERNAME = NI5210$
	    IOBASE     = 0X360
	    IRQ        = 2

	; PC/TCP Protocol Stack:
	[PKTDRV]
	    drivername = PKTDRV$
	    bindings   = NI5210
	    intvec     = 0x60
	    chainvec   = 0x65

Other people in-house use the 3Com NDIS drivers as well; there were problems
with very early ones, but they've been fixed for quite a while.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/27/91)

In article <27269@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
> I've been experimenting lately with the packet->NDIS converter from
> FTP Software.  I cannot seem to get the converter bound to the NDIS
> driver; netbind.exe just hangs my machine.  One machine can load the
> modules in and initialize the ethernet card, but no binding can take
> place.   Another machine with a different (3Com 3c523) ethernet board
> cannot get initialized (using the elnkmc.dos file dated April 9 at
> FTP's site).   I would appreciate any pointers on putting the pieces
> together in the right order; I feel I'm extremely close to a solution.
> Has anyone successfully used this combination?
> --
> Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
> Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what
> ARPA: ce1zzes@prism.gatech.edu     |             we have now." -Unknown
> uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes
===================
Eric,
	I'd suggest you try the next iteration of the dis_pkt routine, version
1.6, which can be found on my VMS VAX netlab.usu.edu 129.123.1.11 in
directory [anonymous.netwatch] as file  dis_pkt.asm (a uuencoded archive).
The top of the .asm file shows example config.sys and protocol.ini files.
	Joe D.

mock@watt.support.Corp.Sun.COM (Joseph Mocker) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr26.195757.47576@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:

   I'd suggest you try the next iteration of the dis_pkt routine, version
   1.6, which can be found on my VMS VAX netlab.usu.edu 129.123.1.11 in
   directory [anonymous.netwatch] as file  dis_pkt.asm (a uuencoded archive).
   The top of the .asm file shows example config.sys and protocol.ini files.
	   Joe D.

I just tried this version of dis_pkt, and I saw something strange happening.
I have a Ethernet Packet watcher program that I wrote, and when using
DIS_PKT, I would say the first 14 bytes of the ethernet frame are zeroed out.
(which would be the source ethernet addr, destination ethernet addr, and
type fields).  It does display what appears to be valid packet lengths,
but that is about it. Anyone have an explanation for this?

-- Joe
Joe Mocker//USAC//PC-NFS Support :: mock@Corp.Sun.COM :: Sun Microsystems Inc.

  :: there's still lofty dreams  ::  meager desires  ::  still sillyness ::

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (05/01/91)

mock@watt.support.Corp.Sun.COM (Joseph Mocker) writes:

.In article <1991Apr26.195757.47576@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:

.   I'd suggest you try the next iteration of the dis_pkt routine, version
.   1.6, which can be found on my VMS VAX netlab.usu.edu 129.123.1.11 in
.   directory [anonymous.netwatch] as file  dis_pkt.asm (a uuencoded archive).
.   The top of the .asm file shows example config.sys and protocol.ini files.
.	   Joe D.

.I just tried this version of dis_pkt, and I saw something strange happening.
.I have a Ethernet Packet watcher program that I wrote, and when using
.DIS_PKT, I would say the first 14 bytes of the ethernet frame are zeroed out.
.(which would be the source ethernet addr, destination ethernet addr, and
.type fields).  It does display what appears to be valid packet lengths,
.but that is about it. Anyone have an explanation for this?

At least you got a connection with this version, 1.06 (not 1.6).
Running CUTCP on the computer, we got the "remote host or gateway not
responding" error.  Switching back to the older one, 1.01 (or 3), the
program worked properly.

While I have the opportunity, I'd like to thank all the people who offered
me advice on the problems with the computer with the Ungermann-Bass NIUps
card.  We're all thrilled that we don't have to use UB's lame, old Telnet.

Eric