[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Port Numbers & NCSA

JLENNIE@VM.UOGUELPH.CA (Jim Lennie) (05/07/91)

  Does anyone know if there is a way to configure NCSA Telnet on a Mac, so
  that it will request a telnet connection on a specified port other than the
  default?

  Thanks,
  --
  John Alsop

Try starting up the telnet program without specifying the host you want to
connect to. Next, type ALT-A to open a new session then enter the hostname or
IP address followed by the port number. That is how I do it with the version
running on my IBM PC.

Jim Lennie                           jlennie@vm.uoguelph.ca
Communications Services              519-824-4120  Ext 2588
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (05/08/91)

In article <9105080326.AA20629@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, JLENNIE@VM.UOGUELPH.CA (Jim Lennie) writes:

>   Does anyone know if there is a way to configure NCSA Telnet on a Mac, so
>   that it will request a telnet connection on a specified port other than the
>   default?
>
>   Thanks,
>   --
>   John Alsop
>
> Try starting up the telnet program without specifying the host you want to
> connect to. Next, type ALT-A to open a new session then enter the hostname or
> IP address followed by the port number. That is how I do it with the version
> running on my IBM PC.

Easier still just include the port number in the session name field of the
open connection dialog.  Eg. ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU 119   will open the
connection on port 119 at host ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA