    From: bu.edu!icad!goethe!arena@bloom-beacon.mit.edu  (mike arena)
    Subject: Connecting to the Internet

    Are there other organizations that provide Internet access in the
    Boston area?  If so, are the charges comparable to the above?

About a year and a half ago I looked into Internet connectivity on
behalf of a former employer.  I checked out Alternet, NEARNet and
PSInet for pricing.  At the time NEARNet was the cheapest.  Since
then, both PSInet and Alternet have established geographical point
of presence within Boston, so I can imagine that their pricing was
reduced in proportion to their costs.

Other interesting developments in this area:  Alternet, PSInet, along
with CERFnet recently signed an agreement to carry commercial traffic
generated by one anothers customers.  NEARnet also recently followed
suit with a commercial traffic exchange agreement with PSI.  Relavent
players will probably waste no time clarifying the above mud...

but anyway...

PSI:  info@psi.com  or  (703) 620-6651
Alternet:  "home" host is uunet.uu.net, local point of presence is
           at world.std.com  (Software Tool & Die, Brookline).

Hope this helps,

== Gordon Lee                 FTP Software Inc
== voice: (617) 246-0900      26 Princess St
== fax:   (617) 245-7943      Wakefield, MA  01880

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (05/02/91)

You may also want to check out Alternet and PSI (Performance Systems
International). We use a link to Alternet in the San Francisco area
and it works well; Barry Shein works with them in Boston. PSI also has
a good reputation. You can reach Alternet at info@uunet.uu.net or
703 876-5050. I don't have the number for PSI, but I imagine you can
try emailing info@psi.com and see if that's a valid email address.

A little while back, Alternet, PSI and CERFnet announced that they
were interconnecting, and Alternet also announced that they were
linking up with NEARnet. That leaves us with a commercial Internet
running parallel to the NSFNET, without the restrictions.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

ebersman@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Ebersman) (05/02/91)

In <9105011304.AA08438@ftp.com> gordon@FTP.COM (Gordon Lee) writes:

>Other interesting developments in this area:  Alternet, PSInet, along
>with CERFnet recently signed an agreement to carry commercial traffic
>generated by one anothers customers.  NEARnet also recently followed
>suit with a commercial traffic exchange agreement with PSI.  Relavent
>players will probably waste no time clarifying the above mud...

I hadn't heard about PSI hooking to NEARnet, but we did announce a
direct connection between Alternet and NEARnet. This should be up fairly
shortly.

--
                   Paul A. Ebersman @ UUNET Communications
                   uunet!ebersman or ebersman@uunet.uu.net

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) (05/02/91)

So what areas does NEARNet cover?
--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)          mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				            mra@searchtech.com

gordon@FTP.COM (Gordon Lee) (05/03/91)

    From: ebersman@uunet.uu.net  (Paul Ebersman)
    Subject: Re: Connecting to the Internet

    In <9105011304.AA08438@ftp.com> gordon@FTP.COM (Gordon Lee) writes:
    >NEARnet also recently followed
    >suit with a commercial traffic exchange agreement with PSI.  Relavent
    >players will probably waste no time clarifying the above mud...

    I hadn't heard about PSI hooking to NEARnet, but we did announce a
    direct connection between Alternet and NEARnet. This should be up fairly
    shortly.

Oh wow, major wipeout, mea culpa, faux pas, my foot rests on my tongue...

As I predicted, I stand corrected, my apologies for the misinformation.

In article <1991May2.164911.17750@searchtech.com> mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) writes:
>So what areas does NEARNet cover?

NEARnet is the New England Academic & Research Network, covering most of
New England.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

mckenzie@bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May2.164911.17750@searchtech.com> mra@searchtech.com
(Michael Almond) writes:  So what areas does NEARNet cover?

NEARNet is the New England Academic and Research Network, and covers the
New England area.

Alex McKenzie