[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Sage, The FREE SNMP tool

etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl (Jan van Oorschot) (05/15/91)

The Sage, A SNMP-based Network Management Tool

This is the first version of The Sage. The Sage is a network
management tool, to be used by experienced network managers. The Sage
can be tailored so that normal people can use it, Real Soon Now.

At the moment, to use The Sage, you should know SCHEME, a LISP-like C
language (or something like that). The Sage accepts SCHEME programs
with SNMP request imbedded in them. A few example programs are
included in this first distribution. Look at them !!!!!!!

Programming The Sage is realy simple. An average program to, for
example, obtain a CISCO routing table was written in 5 minutes. Once
you know SCHEME the SNMP world is yours. The Sage hides all SNMP
details for you, and you can work with normal SCHEME variables and
values.

This distribution of The Sage  runs on most UNIX based workstations
with a TCP/IP interface. It has been tested on a SUN SLC (SUN-OS
4.1.1) and a IBM AIX RS6000 machine.

You can get the Sage using anonymous FTP from:

    dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl

directory:

    Sage

The Sage is the result of hard work by three people.

    Alfred Kayser      --> SCHEME interpreter
    Dirk Wisse	       --> ASN.1 library
    Jan van Oorschot   --> The Sage

You get the source, learn from it. The Sage consists of highly
portable C code and is a realy good piece of work.

If you are going to write you own Sage programs, make them available
to the whole world. Send them to the mailing-list:

   beholder@et.tudelft.nl

You can subscribe to this mailing list by send a message with the
subject:

	@@ subscribe Beholder
to:
	dnpap@et.tudelft.nl

We will collect the contributions and include the usefull ones with the next
distribution.

We want The Sage to be the reason why people really start using SNMP.
So pass this message on to your friend (or your enemies). Let us know
what you think of The Sage, both compliments and complaints are
welcom.

greetings  	Jan

-- Ir. Jan van Oorschot.             --- Email: JPMvOorschot@et.tudelft.nl --
-- Data Network Performance Analysis Project                               --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --

mark@dosli.govt.nz (Mark Wright) (05/16/91)

In article <.674293522@dutepp0> etstjan@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl
(Jan van Oorschot) writes:

>The Sage, A SNMP-based Network Management Tool
>
>This is the first version of The Sage. The Sage is a network
>management tool, to be used by experienced network managers. The Sage
>can be tailored so that normal people can use it, Real Soon Now.

       .. stuff deleted ...
>You can get the Sage using anonymous FTP from:
>
>    dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl
>
>directory:
>
>    Sage

        ... more stuff deleted ...

Could anyone who gets this in nz let me know? Otherwise I'll end up get some
ftp-mailer somewhere to get it for me.

--

 Mark Wright.                    Dept. of Survey and Land Information,NZ.
 email: mark@dosli.govt.nz       phone: 64 4 710-380 ext 8688