c_bstratton@HNS.COM (Bob Stratton) (05/17/91)

   From: "Michael H. Morse" <mmorse@z.nsf.gov>
   Date: Thu, 16 May 1991 14:17:27 EDT

   Has anyone tried using one of the PC remote control software packages
   (such as CloseUp or Carbon Copy) over the Internet?  The idea would be
   to connect the controlling PC to a terminal server, Telnet to a
   milking machine, and then to the controlled PC.  Does anyone know
   authoritatively if such a thing is possible?

My gut feeling is that you're probably going to have to find a remote
control package that contains support for the INT14 interface. FTP
Software's PC/TCP allows you to TELNET to some host, and then invoke a
terminal-emulation package that supports INT14, and you get everything
you'd get from a 9600 bps dialup connection, with the exception of
session initiation. You have to TELNET, then fire up the emulator, and
once connected, you can't TELNET somewhere else without starting the
whole process over again. TELNETing to a router would alleviate this
last sticking point.

If you find a "Carbon Copy", "Close UP",-type thing that supports
INT14, I would also be interested in hearing about it. I looked last
year, and couldn't find anything.

Bob Stratton           |
Stratton Systems Design| SMTP: strat@gnu.ai.mit.edu, c_bstratton@hns.com
Alexandria, Virginia   | PSTN: +1 301 409 2703
"Personally, I think the DNS administrative interface was designed by the IRS."
							--Mark Beyer

ljm@FTP.COM (leo j mclaughlin iii) (05/18/91)

>Has anyone tried using one of the PC remote control software packages
>(such as CloseUp or Carbon Copy) over the Internet?

Yes, (though only over very little pieces).  Get two PCs running the
NetBIOS LAN version of CloseUP/Carbon Copy and a vendor of NetBIOS over
TCP/IP which supports M/P-node or extended B-node services.  Stir gently and
hope the delay characteristics don't upset the PC software too badly....

>...The idea would be to connect the controlling PC to a terminal server,
>Telnet to a milking machine, and then to the controlled PC....

..Sorry, no telnet allowed if you really want remote control -- you need
CloseUP/Carbon Copy type software running over TCP/IP at both ends.  If
you fit Stanford's licensing characteristics you can get their VT100
emulation telnet server for DOS, but that really is a very different beast.

>Does anyone know authoritatively if such a thing is possible?

Yes.  Though as I mentioned, your mileage will vary.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
ljm@ftp.com

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV (Roger Fajman) (05/19/91)

> >Has anyone tried using one of the PC remote control software packages
> >(such as CloseUp or Carbon Copy) over the Internet?
>
> Yes, (though only over very little pieces).  Get two PCs running the
> NetBIOS LAN version of CloseUP/Carbon Copy and a vendor of NetBIOS over
> TCP/IP which supports M/P-node or extended B-node services.  Stir gently and
> hope the delay characteristics don't upset the PC software too badly....

Most NETBIOS over TCP/IP implemetations (including FTP Software's) seem
to be B-mode only.  Can someone name some that aren't?  TCP/IP protocol
implementations that aren't internetworkable (such as B-mode NETBIOS) seem
like almost a contradiction in terms to me.

> >...The idea would be to connect the controlling PC to a terminal server,
> >Telnet to a milking machine, and then to the controlled PC....
>
> ..Sorry, no telnet allowed if you really want remote control -- you need
> CloseUP/Carbon Copy type software running over TCP/IP at both ends.  If
> you fit Stanford's licensing characteristics you can get their VT100
> emulation telnet server for DOS, but that really is a very different beast.

I understand that PC Anywhere allows remote control of character-based
applications with the other end being a VT100, rather than another copy
of PC Anywhere.  This would seem to allow the milking machine connected
to controlled PC idea to work.  Has anyone actually tried it?

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 1246
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF@NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   RAF@CU.NIH.GOV

mshiels@tmsoft (Michael A. Shiels) (05/19/91)

PC Anywhere will allow anyone of aprox. 50 terminal types to access it.  That
is it best feature above any of the other remote control packages.  I have
gotten it working across various netbios emulatos.  I wouldn't see a problem
with NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

c_bstratton@HNS.COM (Bob Stratton) (05/20/91)

   Date: Fri, 17 May 91 21:25:01 -0400
   From: leo j mclaughlin iii <ljm@ftp.com>

   Yes, (though only over very little pieces).  Get two PCs running the
   NetBIOS LAN version of CloseUP/Carbon Copy and a vendor of NetBIOS over
   TCP/IP which supports M/P-node or extended B-node services.  Stir gently and
   hope the delay characteristics don't upset the PC software too badly....

Would you be so kind as to explain why the NetBIOS implementation
style (m/p vs b node) is important. I've read the RFC's, but I'm not
clear as to which services you're depending on. (Especially in the
extended B-node case.)

xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov (Steven Eubanks) (05/23/91)

In article <9105201435.AA01612@hns.com>, c_bstratton@HNS.COM (Bob
Stratton) writes:

|>    Date: Fri, 17 May 91 21:25:01 -0400
|>    From: leo j mclaughlin iii <ljm@ftp.com>
|>
|>    NetBIOS LAN version of CloseUP/Carbon Copy and a vendor of NetBIOS
|> over
|>    TCP/IP which supports M/P-node or extended B-node services.  Stir
|> gently and

stuff deleted.

|> Would you be so kind as to explain why the NetBIOS implementation
|> style (m/p vs b node) is important. I've read the RFC's, but I'm not
|> clear as to which services you're depending on. (Especially in the
|> extended B-node case.)

I'm not sure I can speak to the extended B-node case, but B-node
requires all clients of a NetBIOS server (both ends of a CloseUP/Carbon
Copy session) to be
contained within a single LAN.  B-node dependent
services/implementations will
not operate across an extended LAN which merely routes.  Bridging
(perhaps
via bridging routers ) would be required to support this functionality.
RFCs
1001/1002 do include mechanisms to support NetBIOS across routed LANs
via
M/P-node support, but: 1) either the potential user market is not [yet
:-)] large
enough for the vendor community to merit the development effort, 2)
NetBIOS-based
LANs are typically being "bridged", or 3) there are enough unresolved
issues
in the RFCs to make interoperability between vendors a sticky issue;
that to
the best of my knowledge, the available M/P-node based product offerings
are
underwhelming or virtually non-existant.  Maybe the problem stems from
all three.

I'm sure that's more than you asked for.... oh well.

Steve
--
Steven W. Eubanks,  Telecomm & Networking 	NASA Lewis Research Center
Internet:xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov		21000 Brookpark Rd.