[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DNS/smpt name matching

ced@bcstec.uucp (Charles Derykus) (06/01/91)

In article <895@bcstec.boeing.com> ced@bcstec.uucp (Charles Derykus) writes:

>My intent was to ensure that DNS matched machine x with its "real" name -
>what was configured in smtp and hopefully the same as the /etc/hosts name
>used for host name initialization during booting. If machine x's smtp name
>mismatchs DNS's name for machine "x", won't mail delivery to "x" misfire
>for example?

| If this kind of mismatch were so serious, probably half of the machines on
|  Internet would be unable to handle mail.  Actually you can usually tell
|  from the syslog entries or the 'Received:' headers whether your mailer
|  received mail from a system whose smtp name is different from its DNS
|  name.  The proportion of my syslog records showing this is not very high,
|  but that is because most of these misconfigured systems send their mail
|  to another system to forward it for them.

|   If you are using 'sendmail', the SMTP name is determined by the $j
|  macro.  With most configuration setups, the handling of mail to your
|  domain is dependent on the class $=w, or perhaps $=w.$m .

Thanks for the clarity.  Our environment includes a mix of DNS and non-DNS
machines and I believe there were problems (don't recall which direction)
when the DNS name mismatches the smtp name.  At any rate for my own sanity,
what's left of it, I would like to confirm that the names match.
Fortunately, the code I have received enables some nominal checking.

Again, thanks for the patience.

Regards

Charles DeRykus				Internet:   ced@bcstec.boeing.com
Boeing Computer Services		UUCP:	    ...!uunet!bcstec!ced
Renton, WA.  M/S 6R-37			(206) 234-9223