[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SNMP

chris@sparta.UUCP (Chris Chiotasso) (12/05/89)

I have the CMU public domain code and am porting it.  There is an
address in the documentation to direct questions to.  The address
given is:  sw01+snmp@andrew.cmu.edu.  I have tried this address in
many different forms (eg. sw01 as #1 and letter l, snmp only etc)
and have had them all returned to me.  Does anyone have the correct
address and/or an answer to the following question.

I read the code and found that the object id's are encoded with the
first 2 subids in a single subid field using (x*40)+y x=1st subid
and y=2nd subid.

I have also read the RFC's and have not found any reference to this.
Am I missing something?  Why are the first 2 ids combined?

aw0g+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Aaron Wohl) (12/05/89)

That address is sw0l+snmp@andrew.cmu.edu

karl@asylum.SF.CA.US (Karl Auerbach) (12/06/89)

In article <237@sparta.UUCP> chris@sparta.UUCP (Chris Chiotasso) writes:
>I read the code and found that the object id's are encoded with the
>first 2 subids in a single subid field using (x*40)+y x=1st subid
>and y=2nd subid.
>
>I have also read the RFC's and have not found any reference to this.
>Am I missing something?  Why are the first 2 ids combined?

You have stumbled onto a growing problem -- RFC's which require
knowledge which is not present in the RFC itself or another RFC.  The
answer to your question is in an OSI document, named "ISO 8825
Information Processing Systems - Open Systems Interconnection -
Specification of Basic Encoding Rules for Abstract Syntax Notation One
(ASN.1)" You need to look at section 20.

What it says is exactly what you found -- the first two object
identifier components are combined into a single subidentifier.  Why?
I don't know -- probably because they felt they could save a byte.

You'll probably find other things in SNMP that require refernce to ISO
8825 and its companion ISO 8824.  You can get copies (for $$) from a
number of sources.  I tend to use Omnicom in Vienna, Virginia.

You may also find that some SNMP implementations don't do perfect
ASN.1 encoding.  (For example, you may see COUNTERS, GAUGES [i.e.
unsigned types] being mis-encoded as negative signed integers when
high order bit is a 1.  Problems haven't occurred because most of us
tend to use machines that use 32 bit long integers and two's
complement math.)

			--karl--

ww0n+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Walter Lloyd Wimer III) (12/07/89)

The E-mail address for comments about the CMU SNMP package is:

    Steve Waldbusser <sw0l+snmp@andrew.cmu.edu>

That userid is "s" (as in "Steve"), "w" (as in "Waldbusser"), zero, ell.
 The "+snmp" part is a hint to our mail system to direct such mail to
Steve's special SNMP mail folder.

Obviously, you needn't type Steve's whole name if you don't want to; the
part within angle brackets will suffice.

Walt Wimer
Network Development
Carnegie Mellon University

lmg@hpindda.HP.COM (Lisa Gullicksen) (12/07/89)

> from / chris@sparta.UUCP (Chris Chiotasso) / 10:59 am  Dec  4, 1989 /
>

>I read the code and found that the object id's are encoded with the
>first 2 subids in a single subid field using (x*40)+y x=1st subid
>and y=2nd subid.
>
>I have also read the RFC's and have not found any reference to this.
>Am I missing something?  Why are the first 2 ids combined?

The encoding of the first 2 subids in a single subid field as
(x*40)+y  is described in ISO 8825 "Specification of Basic
Encoding Rules for Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1)" in section
20.4.  Section 20 covers "Encoding of an object identifier value."

Lisa Gullicksen
e-mail: lmg@hpindda.hp.com

jara@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Jujhar Kandhola) (05/31/91)

Could somebody out there send me some information on the the
"Simple Network Management Protocol". A high level description
would be great along with details of where I can obtain some further
information.

If this is the not the newsgroup in which I should be asking this question
I apologise.

  Cheers
     Jara

scoggin@delmarva.delmarva.COM (John Scoggin) (06/02/91)

I would suggest reading RFC's 1157, 1158, and 1159.  There is an EXCELLENT
book on the subject of SNMP - "The Simple Book" by Dr. Marshall T. Rose
(Prentice-Hall, 1990).

This is a good starting point.

		-- John

John K. Scoggin, Jr.
Supervisor, Network Operations		Phone:  (302) 451-5200
Delmarva Power & Light Company		Fax:	(302) 451-5321
500 N. Wakefield Drive			Email:	scoggin@delmarva.com
Newark, DE  19714-6066

kzm@hls.com (Keith McCloghrie) (06/02/91)

> I would suggest reading RFC's 1157, 1158, and 1159.

Oops, a typo.  Actually, it's 1155 (for the SMI), 1156 (for MIB-I),
1157 (for the protocol, SNMP).  1158 is MIB-II but has been obsoleted
by 1213.  1159 is on a different subject.  (And if you're a glutton
for punishment, I recommend 1212 also).

> There is an EXCELLENT
> book on the subject of SNMP - "The Simple Book" by Dr. Marshall T. Rose
> (Prentice-Hall, 1990).
> This is a good starting point.

Agreed.

Keith.