[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Map of Internet

dalk@vax87.aud.auc.dk (05/24/91)

Hej,

I am looking for a map of the Internet for a slide. Does someone on the net
have this on a PostScript file (or another print file) ?

I am also interested in stuff concerning TCP/IP, ISODE and networks generally.
If you have such things please E-mail them to me.

Thanx

Lars Kalsen
Aalborg University Center
Denmark

metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) (05/28/91)

In article <552.283ced35@vax87.aud.auc.dk> dalk@vax87.aud.auc.dk writes:
>I am looking for a map of the Internet for a slide. Does someone on the net
>have this on a PostScript file (or another print file) ?

At one time, a number of years ago, I saw such a thing. Back then,
there was just the ArpaNet and a few other add-ons.

Now, there are literally hundreds of thousands of machines on the
internet. There are thousands of networks, including lots and lots off
people who have SLIP connections to the darndest places (I know people
with home ethernet networks and SLIP connections in to the internet).
Most of these sites don't have their latitude and longitude known by
anyone, including their owners, so a geographic map of sites is, for
most sites, impossible. A logical map would tell you very little
indeed; it would just be a giant connected graph.

Furthermore, there are now lots of cross country networks, too. NSFnet
is of course a major backbone, but PSI, AlterNet, and others exist,
too. They all interoperate and interconnect, but there is no longer
one single nationwide backbone the way that the ArpaNet used to be.

If there is a postscript internet map, it must be woefully incomplete,
and highly uninformative.

Perry Metzger
--
"Live Free or Die!"
For information on the Libertarian Party, call 1-800-682-1776

logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Rob Logie) (05/28/91)

Why not just show your class a globe of the planet ???

--
Rob Logie                                    EMAIL: logier@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia                            FAX:   +61 7 837 4704

art@opal.acc.com (Art Berggreen) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.173507.20501@watson.ibm.com> metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) writes:
>In article <552.283ced35@vax87.aud.auc.dk> dalk@vax87.aud.auc.dk writes:
>>I am looking for a map of the Internet for a slide. Does someone on the net
>>have this on a PostScript file (or another print file) ?
>
>At one time, a number of years ago, I saw such a thing. Back then,
>there was just the ArpaNet and a few other add-ons.

BBN (if I remember right) used to put up a current map of the internet
at each IETF meeting during the mid-to-late '80s.  They gave up when there
got to be too many nets to make any sense on a page.  The Internet has has
grown several fold since then.

But a map showing just the backbones and regionals (and their interconnection
points) might be doable and useful.  This could only ever be a snapshot,
as the Internet is constantly changing, but the backbones are probably
the most stable part.

>Perry Metzger

Art

joshua@Spies.COM (Joshua Geller) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.161202.14155@salt.acc.com> art@opal.acc.com (Art
Berggreen) writes:

|>But a map showing just the backbones and regionals (and their interconnection
|>points) might be doable and useful.  This could only ever be a snapshot,
|>as the Internet is constantly changing, but the backbones are probably
|>the most stable part.

Hey, I'd settle for one of the backbones. Backbones and regionals would cause
me to literally faint in ecstatsy. I have NSF maps, but as several people
point out, that is far from adequate.

|>Art

josh

hastings+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Eugene F. Hastings") (05/31/91)

There are a number of maps online at nis.nsf.net in the aptly named maps
subdirectory. They vary in degree of "obsoleteness" from being as current
as is preactical, to being of interest only to compulsive historians.

I believe there is comparable information on nic.nordu.net for European
nets.

Gene

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (06/01/91)

> There are a number of maps online at nis.nsf.net in the aptly named maps
> subdirectory. They vary in degree of "obsoleteness" from being as current
> as is preactical, to being of interest only to compulsive historians.

I would hope that the winner of the "Interim NREN" contract would do a
better job that this.

--Ed

kwe@bbn.com (Kent W. England) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May28.212310.23424@Spies.COM> joshua@Spies.COM (Joshua
Geller) writes:
> In article <1991May28.161202.14155@salt.acc.com> art@opal.acc.com (Art
> Berggreen) writes:
>
> |>But a map showing just the backbones and regionals (and their
interconnection
> |>points) might be doable and useful.
>
> Hey, I'd settle for one of the backbones. Backbones and regionals would
cause
> me to literally faint in ecstatsy.

Even that is not so simple as it would seem.  For example, only a few
people have actually seen a topology map of the new NSFnet T3 backbone.
The public maps I see are a little "cloudy".   I'm not complaining, mind
you, just noting that maps are hard for a number of reasons.

I think there is a IETF mapping working group underway or soon to happen
that will be addressing some of the technical issues related to maps of
the Internet.  But topology mapping is never going to be easy and topology
maps are not routing maps, which is what most people really need to see.

--Kent

psimpson@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Pete Simpson) (06/05/91)

In article <EMV.91May31153318@bronte.aa.ox.com> emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>> There are a number of maps online at nis.nsf.net in the aptly named maps
>> subdirectory. They vary in degree of "obsoleteness" from being as current
>> as is preactical, to being of interest only to compulsive historians.

	Are there maps at any other locations? I cannot reach this
site.

		thanks for the info-
						pete

--
Peter J. Simpson |Internet: psimpson@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu |Gotten it up
Computer Science |Bitnet: TCOMGRD1 at OUACCVMB            |      lately??

rstory@xopen.co.uk (Robert Story) (06/06/91)

From article <6822@archive.BBN.COM>, by kwe@bbn.com (Kent W. England):
> In article <1991May28.212310.23424@Spies.COM> joshua@Spies.COM (Joshua
> Geller) writes:

> Even that is not so simple as it would seem.  For example, only a few
> people have actually seen a topology map of the new NSFnet T3 backbone.
> The public maps I see are a little "cloudy".   I'm not complaining, mind
> you, just noting that maps are hard for a number of reasons.
What is the new NSFnet T3 bacbone??
--

Regards,
	Robert.