[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] AS/400 TCPIP

pjd@eagle.inesc.pt (Paulo Jorge Delgado) (06/07/91)

Hello net:

I am installing an AS/400 on a TCPIP network, but it seems that the IBM AS/400
TCPIP implementation does not support remote printing. I would like to be able
to direct an AS/400 output queue to an Novell 3.11 printer or an Unix printer.
IBM will sell me another solution - PC-Support - but I would like very much
to stick to TCPIP. So, any sugestions? Are there any non-IBM TCPIP solutions
for the AS/400? Yes I have heard about Mitek and I've requested some info
from them, but are there others? Is there any product I can get to add remote
printing to the IBM TCPIP?
Thanks in advance.
--
 Paulo Jorge Delgado
 INESC, Lisboa, Portugal

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.105906.75@eagle.inesc.pt> pjd@eagle.inesc.pt (Paulo Jorge Delgado) writes:
>I am installing an AS/400 on a TCPIP network, but it seems that the IBM AS/400
>TCPIP implementation does not support remote printing. I would like to be able
>to direct an AS/400 output queue to an Novell 3.11 printer or an Unix printer.
>IBM will sell me another solution - PC-Support - but I would like very much
>to stick to TCPIP. So, any sugestions? Are there any non-IBM TCPIP solutions
>for the AS/400? Yes I have heard about Mitek and I've requested some info
>from them, but are there others? Is there any product I can get to add remote
>printing to the IBM TCPIP?

we are about to do the same kind of connection.

my thoughts on this would be to have the 400 put the print job into a file,
ftp the file to the novell pc or unix box.

on the novell pc or unix box, have a program which scans the directory for
new files and submit them to the local print facility.

we are looking at getting a 50 ppm ion printer, it uses this scheme for
print queuing.

BTW: if you need info on how to ftp to your pre-3.11 novell networks, look
into the PCIP, NCSA Telnet, CUTCP, KA9Q type PC <-> TCP/IP programs.
(see comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc or something like that)

these are freely available, with source in most cases.

a commercial alternative would be FTP Inc.'s PCTCP package.
--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]