[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] More problems with sendmail/IDA and DECnet

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (06/14/91)

I added the tcp-ip newsgroup to the distribution. Follow-ups to
comp.protocols.tcp-ip

The discussion concerns if it is useful to have an /etc/svc.conf file.
I mentioned that GE's mail gateway has the equivalent, so that we
don't advertise any addresses in the 3.0.0.0 network (which is
unconnected to the Internet).

In article <kre.676867753@mundamutti.cs.mu.OZ.AU> kre@cs.mu.oz.au
(Robert Elz) writes:

>I disagree - there's no problem sending back (properly allocated)
>numbers if someone queries for them, regardless of whether they are
>reachable or not.  I would have no problem getting back a 3.a.b.c
>address were I to ask for the IP address of grymoire.crd.ge.com.

Well, I may be missing the fine points, but I believe NYSERNET, et. al.
do not like to see any packets addressed to the 3.* network.
This causes unnecessary traffic, and people monitor such packets and
let us know if we are "leaking" anything when we should not be doing so.

If we make the 3.* addresses available (i.e. "A" Records) while
advertising a "*.ge.com MX record to crdgw1.ge.com on its Class C
network, we could cause a lot of problems on the Internet. I believe.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett