[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP over LAT is it possible?

DAVID@wcc.govt.nz (David Richards) (06/14/91)

Does anybody know if this is possible
Running a serial line to TCP/IP through a (LAT) LTAxxxx: device
We have WINS/TCP

+----------+    +----------+
| MicroVax |    |DECserver |
|   3800   |    |   200    +------ TCP/IP ???
+----+-----+    +----+-----+
     |               |
     |   Ethernet    |
-----+---------------+------

Please reply to the list
Thanks in advance.

David

P.S. My return address is screwed, please SEND not REPLY, to "david@ccc.govt.nz"
If mail bounces, try "david%ccc.govt.nz@wcc.govt.nz"

leonard@arizona.edu (06/15/91)

In article <9106142259.AA20670@golem.wcc.govt.nz>, DAVID@wcc.govt.nz
(David Richards) writes:
> Does anybody know if this is possible
> Running a serial line to TCP/IP through a (LAT) LTAxxxx: device
> We have WINS/TCP
>
> +----------+    +----------+
> | MicroVax |    |DECserver |
> |   3800   |    |   200    +------ TCP/IP ???
> +----+-----+    +----+-----+
>      |               |
>      |   Ethernet    |
> -----+---------------+------
>
> Please reply to the list

I have done this with good success, by using LATCP
on the VMS system to create a LAT "application port"
and a "SLIP service".  I set the port on the DECserver
to be dedicated to autoconnect to the SLIP service.
I then used SLIP (using TGV's MultiNet TCP/IP package)
to talk IP over the pseudo-terminal.

It worked well for us, though TGV tells me that this
configuration is "not supported" and "can crash VMS"
due to problems with the LAT driver.  I don't know whether
this scheme would work with the Wollongong product.  (Does
Wolly support SLIP?)

Send me mail if you want more info.

Aaron

Aaron Leonard (AL104), <Leonard@Arizona.EDU>
University of Arizona Telecommunications, Tucson AZ 85721

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (06/15/91)

In article <9106142259.AA20670@golem.wcc.govt.nz> DAVID@wcc.govt.nz (David Richards) writes:
>Does anybody know if this is possible
>Running a serial line to TCP/IP through a (LAT) LTAxxxx: device
>We have WINS/TCP

What you propose is not possible.

What you need is a third party terminal server that handles both TCP and LAT.
These are available in the USA for as little as $1500, and the technology
can now be said to be mature.

--
Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

"...and of their daughters it is written, 'Cursed be he who lies with
any manner of animal.'" - Talmud