[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] ATT TCP/IP WIN/3B Help Needed !

fyang@nysnet.nys.GOV (Frank Yang) (06/14/91)

Hi NetExperts :

   I'm a novice on TCP/IP. Forgive me if this is an inappropriate posting.
   We installed AT&T TCP/IP Win/3b on our ATT 3B2 machine running on StarLan
10 NAU. But we have problem when we run netstart to start up the program. The
error messages look like this :

unknown host nysnet
can't determine my internet address/usr/etc/inetinit: config line #13: Failed to
 link netstart failed.

   "nysnet" is our machine's official host name.
   No matter how I changed the networks/hosts files setting or even removed
the /etc/hosts and /etc/networks files, I still got this same message.
    As I know, inetinit is started by anentry in the file S86win3b when the
netstart program is executed. Inetinit looked for a configuration file
/usr/etc/inetinit.cf.
   Here is the content of inetinit.cf file :

#
# Stream configuration file for win3b as used by inetinit.
#
# This is the standard stream configuration for a machine configured with a
# single Ethernet interface (ni).
#
#ifname lowerdev        upperdev     hostname
#
en0     /dev/ni/clone0  /dev/arp0       0
en0     /dev/arp        /dev/ip0        0
lo0     /dev/loop       /dev/ip0        me
0       /dev/ip         /dev/udp0       0
0       /dev/ip         /dev/tcp0       0
0       /dev/ip         /dev/raw0       0

   The followings are some other configuration/information :

   - no nameserver or resolver is configured during installation
   - only this machine is installed with ATT 10Base5 NI board and Win/3b
     sofrware ( that means there's only one host running tcp/ip )
   - NI board was tested ok by running the program nitest for Loop-Around test,
     ( so I assumed it's not a H/W's problem ??? )
   - niinfo return :
       Board   Major   State   Physical Address   Subnetwork Type [default]
       -----   -----   -----   ----------------   -------------------------
         0      10      UP       800010030001     ETHERNET [same]
   - hostid : 0

   Any suggestion will be appreciated.
   Thanks !

                                                       Frank Yang.

kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) (06/14/91)

In article <538@nysnet.nys.GOV> fyang@nysnet.nys.GOV (Frank Yang) writes:
>Hi NetExperts :
>
>   I'm a novice on TCP/IP. Forgive me if this is an inappropriate posting.
>   We installed AT&T TCP/IP Win/3b on our ATT 3B2 machine running on StarLan
>10 NAU. But we have problem when we run netstart to start up the program. The
>error messages look like this :
>
>unknown host nysnet
>can't determine my internet address/usr/etc/inetinit: config line #13: Failed to
> link netstart failed.
>
>   "nysnet" is our machine's official host name.

Add an entry in the /etc/hosts file for nysnet.

--
Eric Kozowski
kozowski@ohsu.edu

fyang@nysnet.nys.GOV (Frank Yang) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun13.232406.21723@ohsu.edu>, kozowski@ohsu.edu (Eric Kozowski) writes:
> In article <538@nysnet.nys.GOV> fyang@nysnet.nys.GOV (Frank Yang) writes:
> >Hi NetExperts :
> >   I'm a novice on TCP/IP. Forgive me if this is an inappropriate posting.
> >   We installed AT&T TCP/IP Win/3b on our ATT 3B2 machine running on StarLan
> >10 NAU. But we have problem when we run netstart to start up the program. The
> >error messages look like this :
> >
> >unknown host nysnet
> >can't determine my internet address/usr/etc/inetinit: config line #13: Failed to
> > link netstart failed.
> >
> >   "nysnet" is our machine's official host name.
>
> Add an entry in the /etc/hosts file for nysnet.

I did, but it won't let me do it. Win/3B replied :

   Name nysnet already exists

  ( I did this from win3bmgmt -> addhost menu. )

At this time, /etc/hosts file only has its original entry :

   127.1  me  loopback localhost

Then I directly used vi to add a nysnet entry to /etc/hosts file, I still got
an error message ( can't remember what it was ) from inetinit.

Could anyone help me out of this ?
Thanks !

Frank Yang.

scottp@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Scott Platenberg) (06/18/91)

In article <538@nysnet.nys.GOV> fyang@nysnet.nys.GOV (Frank Yang) writes:
stuff deleted...
<
<unknown host nysnet
<can't determine internet address/usr/etc/inetinit: config line #13: Failed to
< link netstart failed.
<   "nysnet" is our machine's official host name.
<    As I know, inetinit is started by anentry in the file S86win3b when the
<netstart program is executed. Inetinit looked for a configuration file
</usr/etc/inetinit.cf.
<   Here is the content of inetinit.cf file :
<# Stream configuration file for win3b as used by inetinit.
<#
<# This is the standard stream configuration for a machine configured with a
<# single Ethernet interface (ni).
<#
<#ifname lowerdev        upperdev     hostname
<#
<en0     /dev/ni/clone0  /dev/arp0       0
<en0     /dev/arp        /dev/ip0        0
				      ^^^^^^^
 With NCR's implementation of WIN-TCP you need to have your host name in
the inetinit.cf file.  Although the ifnames are different between the
implementations, I believe you may want to put 'nysnet' in the hostname
field for the above two entries.  Hope this helps, and I tried mailing this
to you but it bounced.

<   Any suggestion will be appreciated.
<   Thanks !
<                                                       Frank Yang.

	|	   Scott Platenberg, NCR NPD-San Diego		|
	|	   9900 Old Grove Road, San Diego, CA		|
	|	 Scott.Platenberg@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.com	|
	|	VOICE: (619) 693-5714, VOICEplus: 442-5714	|
	|		    FAX: 619-693-5705			|

cage@cbnewsd.att.com (charles.gerlach) (06/19/91)

Folks:

I really hate dragging the entire newsgroup through this, but all my attempts
to send email directly have been bounced.  Sorry.

					Chuck Gerlach

Frank:

I don't know which version of WIN/3B you're running, but let me give you
some understanding of the link between the /usr/etc/inetinit.cf file
and /etc/hosts.  You currently have a line in /usr/etc/inetinit.cf for
the loopback driver that ends in "me".  Inetinit uses this name as a key
into the /etc/hosts to determine the interface's internet address.
The lines for the primary interface usually end in zero.  In that case,
inetinit uses the uname as the key.

What inetinit is complaining about is he can not find an entry in
/etc/hosts for the uname of your current system.  You need one.

Now this /etc/hosts entry is usually created during the package install
process.  I haven't looked lately, but I expect the admin package is
attempting to save you from yourself.  The admin scripts are nice and,
apparently in this case, too helpful.  All WIN/3B administration can be
done via vi once you figure out the interrelationships between the
configuration/data files.

You also need some way to determine the internet addresses of the hosts
you will be contacting.  You can either enter them into the /etc/hosts
file or use the DNS system.

If this doesn't work or you have any questions, please send me email
directly and we can work it out.

			Chuck Gerlach
			AT&T - Bell Labs
			IW 1F313 (708)-979-7325