[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SNMP Packages/Appl. Mgt./CMOT questions

sfb@NCoast.ORG (Stephen F. Bush) (06/19/91)

Hello,

I have some questions about SNMP packages:

(1) HP OpenView vs. Cabletron Spectrum - has anyone used either one and what
    are your opinions about them? Any problems with either product?
    I'm trying to determine which package to buy.

(1a) Is there any product, such as the above, which handles application
     management?

(2) Does anyone know whether the following devices already do, or will
    support SNMP?

    Stratacom IPX Switches 	(I believe they plan to)
    Telematics X.25 Nodes
    Octocom Modems
    PCI Pads and Protocol Converters
    Codex Modems
    Memotec Data Compressors
    rOUTAROUNDS
    AT&T WideBand Circuits
    MCI WideBand Circuits
    Telco Services

(3) What ever became of CMOT? Do any agents speak that protocol?

					Thanks,

ianhogg@cs.umn.edu (Ian J. Hogg) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.184913.8206@NCoast.ORG> sfb@NCoast.ORG (Stephen F. Bush) writes:
>(1) HP OpenView vs. Cabletron Spectrum - has anyone used either one and what
>    are your opinions about them? Any problems with either product?
>    I'm trying to determine which package to buy.

  I used OpenView extensively for 9 months last year (until I left my former
  company).  I developed an management system for data acquisition systems that
  was demoed at last summers IEEE Summer Power Meeting.  I felt it is
  an excellant product and pretty solid, even though I
  started with pre-release versions.  I know they have a least 1 newer version
  that may make it easier to develop managers and applications.  It is very
  powerful but big.  An analogy I use is that is comparable to Xlib what we need
  is an Xt layer with widgets on top of the current system.

  I was working on this by encapsulating OpenView inside of C++ classes.  My
  two main classes were ObjectManager and ManagedObject.  I was pretty close to
  getting it working before I left my old company.

  HP was considering building a code generator for the managed objects.  I hope
  that they still provide a simpler programatic interface for those of us who
  would rather roll our own.

>(1a) Is there any product, such as the above, which handles application
>     management?

  I don't know about products but that was the problem I was working on.
  I was designing a system to manage our applications and servers.  Most of
  our servers are NCS based so I defined an interface that all servers must
  support.  Then the server manager takes the OpenView requests and turns around
  and makes an NCS request to the appropriate server.  The server manager handle
  requests for starting servers, killing them, etc.

  I felt this approach was reasonable to avoid having to put OpenView support
  in our servers or NCS support in our management applications.

>(2) Does anyone know whether the following devices already do, or will
>    support SNMP?

    I have no idea about this.

>(3) What ever became of CMOT? Do any agents speak that protocol?

   OpenView uses CMOT and SNMP through the same interface.  In some configuration
   file you define attributes for the managed objects, one of the attributes is
   whether it supports SNMP or CMOT. Hp's snmpd will connect to the OpenView
   server if one is running.

   I think supporting both protocols is a real benefit, I believe that it will
   allow smoother integration of managed objects whos agents speak SNMP, CMOT,
   or CMIP (when it comes).

Although this should have been at the top of my message, I haven't used OpenView
since the end of january so I may have forgotten some things or unaware of
recent upgrades.  I do feel that is an excellant product and should be seriously
considered.

>					Thanks,

Ian Hogg						ianhogg@cs.umn.edu
                                                        (612) 225-1401

echan@CAD017.INTEL.COM (Eldon Chan ~) (06/20/91)

We have a group actually evaluating both Spectrum and HP OpenView.
I'll be very interested in how you come down to these two vendors.

Other vendors we have tested are SunNet manager and  DECmcc MSU.

You may check the Datapro documents for a list of NMS and SNMP agents.

Hope it helps.

Eldon
[...]

chrisv@cmc.com (Chris VandenBerg) (06/21/91)

To add my two cents worth (since I have used the product extensively since about
March of this year):
>In article <1991Jun18.184913.8206@NCoast.ORG> sfb@NCoast.ORG (Stephen F. Bush) writes:
>>(1) HP OpenView vs. Cabletron Spectrum - has anyone used either one and what
>>    are your opinions about them? Any problems with either product?
>>    I'm trying to determine which package to buy.
>>
>>(1a) Is there any product, such as the above, which handles application
>>     management?
This is all dependant upon the information available in the agent MIB.
Some vendors, such as H/P, have put information such as % swap, CPU
utilization, amount of space left on each file system, etc. into their
MIBs that ship with their O/S. Since OPENVIEW lets you load in any mib,
and the application builder lets you decide how to collect and display
that information, the product is very capable of performing application
management. I've heard a rumor that SUN will be following with their
version of system management variables in the SVr4 version of SUNOS
coming soon to a theater near you (:*).

>(2) Does anyone know whether the following devices already do, or will
>    support SNMP?

I never saw your original post.
One of the main reasons that I needed to use OPENVIEW was to manage our
FDDI agent on FDDI which employs the IETF working group FDDI MIB.
Since it was(and is) in the experimental branch, using the application
builder allowed me to create applications that used these parameters
and "tailor" the product to manage FDDI. It was flexible and easy. I'd
recommend it.

Chris VandenBerg
CMC -  A Rockwell Intl Co.   125 Cremona Dr.   Goleta, CA. 93117
Internet - chrisv@cmc.com          ma-bell - 805-562-3127