[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Miniumum hardware required to support SLIP connection?

kovar@eclectic.com (David C. Kovar) (06/13/91)

  If one wanted to add dialup SLIP capability to a network, what is
the minimum set of hardware required? You definitely need a modem,
Telebit TrailBlazer, for example, but after that ... what? A Cisco
router will do the trick, but is there anything less expensive?
Basically, I'd like to be able to attach a modem to the phone line,
the modem to a piece of hardware, the hardware to the Ethernet, and,
with a minimum of configuration, be able to dial into that modem and
establish a SLIP connection. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks, in advance!

-David

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (06/13/91)

kovar@eclectic.com (David C. Kovar) writes:

>  If one wanted to add dialup SLIP capability to a network, what is
>the minimum set of hardware required? You definitely need a modem,
>Telebit TrailBlazer, for example, but after that ... what? A Cisco
>router will do the trick, but is there anything less expensive?
>Basically, I'd like to be able to attach a modem to the phone line,
>the modem to a piece of hardware, the hardware to the Ethernet, and,
>with a minimum of configuration, be able to dial into that modem and
>establish a SLIP connection. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>Thanks, in advance!

 I think that NOS program from ka9q could solve your problem.

 You just need a PC with an ethernet card, a serial card, this programm and
  two packet drivers ( one for the ethernet card and another for the SLIP in
  the serial port )

Jose A. Vela Avila
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx
 I.T.E.S.M

jcurran@SH.CS.NET (John Curran) (06/14/91)

From: "David C. Kovar"
> If one wanted to add dialup SLIP capability to a network, what is
> the minimum set of hardware required? You definitely need a modem,
> Telebit TrailBlazer, for example, but after that ... what? A Cisco
> router will do the trick, but is there anything less expensive?
> Basically, I'd like to be able to attach a modem to the phone line,
> the modem to a piece of hardware, the hardware to the Ethernet, and,
> with a minimum of configuration, be able to dial into that modem and
> establish a SLIP connection. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
> Thanks, in advance!

You've just describe the exact specifications of an existing product
available from Telebit known as a "NetBlazer".  It consists of a
Trailblazer modem and a mid-power router in a single box with an ethernet
interface. Once configured it will handle dialing in and establishing
a SLIP or PPP connection. My interest in it stems from its ability to
automatically bring up line when a IP datagam is received, and subsequently
take down the line when idle. (just like the "dialupip" SLIP s/w available)

I'm not aware of any other routers which will initiate phone connections
automatically, but that doesn't mean that they're not working on it..

/John

brunner@telebit.com (Eric Brunner) (06/19/91)

In article <229@eclectic.COM> kovar@eclectic.com (David C. Kovar) writes:

>  If one wanted to add dialup SLIP capability to a network, what is
>the minimum set of hardware required? You definitely need a modem,
>Telebit TrailBlazer, for example, but after that ... what? A Cisco
>router will do the trick, but is there anything less expensive?
>Basically, I'd like to be able to attach a modem to the phone line,
>the modem to a piece of hardware, the hardware to the Ethernet, and,
>with a minimum of configuration, be able to dial into that modem and
>establish a SLIP connection. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>Thanks, in advance!

Well, I think that I'm about as cheap as one can get. I went out and got
dialupip version 2.0 and installed it on several machines (sony running news,
ibm rt running 4.3, and a sun 3 running 3.5). Then I got a Netblazer from
Telebit (prior to my present test-related contract) and two additional modems
(I'd already a rack of them for my vax, of these two were trailblazers).

Now I can a) slip into my office from my sun 3 at home,
	  b) slip from the telebit test lab over to my office,
	  c) assuming I'd scads of routes at home and at my office, rip with
	     the best of them.

Total cost, well let's say I got a very good price. Most of the "cost" was
debugging dialupip2.0. If I'd have had to actually pay for what I've gotten,
I would have, and that would be my host-independent slip|ppp link to the
rest of the world, e.g. a regional or commercial or cooperative carrier.
Oh, at least 9.6 over standard voice lines, 19.2 when PacBell is not under
too much stress. Sync cards at 56Kb would be in next Christmas' stocking.

Eric Brunner
consulting to, not employed by Telebit

drt@cysog.UUCP (David R. Trinidad) (06/25/91)

jcurran@SH.CS.NET (John Curran) writes:

>From: "David C. Kovar"

[Text removed]

>You've just describe the exact specifications of an existing product
>available from Telebit known as a "NetBlazer".  It consists of a
>Trailblazer modem and a mid-power router in a single box with an ethernet
>interface. Once configured it will handle dialing in and establishing
>a SLIP or PPP connection. My interest in it stems from its ability to
>automatically bring up line when a IP datagam is received, and subsequently
>take down the line when idle. (just like the "dialupip" SLIP s/w available)

How hard is the configuration on the Netblazer and how reliable
is it ???

>I'm not aware of any other routers which will initiate phone connections
>automatically, but that doesn't mean that they're not working on it..

>/John

Internet : 	drt%cysog@hbiso.ma02.bull.com
UUNET:		uunet!hbiso!cysog!drt
Phone:		(602) 224 0555	| FAX: (602) 224 0872
System:		B.O.S. UNIX     |
	 UNIX isn't just an OS  | It's a way of life !!!!!