[rec.autos] Cars that Last

cjb@cci632.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <10099@sri-spam.istc.sri.com> robert@sri-spam.UUCP (Robert Allen) writes:
>In article <855@elrond.CalComp.COM> amamaral@elrond.CalComp.COM (Alan Amaral) writes:
>>It seems as though I've seen oodles and oodles of people saying "I
>>bought a (fill in the mfgr,model) and after X miles (fill in the part)
>>broke. I took it to the dealer N times and all they still haven't fixed
>>it. Jeez, those (fill in the mfgr,model) cars really are pieces of (fill
>>in your favorite smelly stuff)!"
>>

>	Yeah, but if you buy GM, "things break" and "go out of adjustment"
>	a heck of a lot more than if you buy a Ford. :-)
					       ^^^^
	That me be true, but I found that my Ford's have had
	premature fatal illness' as opposed to my GMs and Nissans.
	as a matter of fact the mileages of both my fords would
	just about add up to the mileage on my last Buick!! :-)

>--
>Who? Me?
>
>Robert Allen,
>robert@spam.istc.sri.com

I know this was in jest, but I have a serious question here.
Does anyone out there own any cars built since 1982 with over 75K
miles on it and with a major repair. (mufflers,brakes,etc aren't
major, unless they've been redone an unusual amount ).

Thanks, This will help when I start looking to replace one of my
cars. I drive alot of hard miles and need to stay shy of terminal
cars.

Curtis J. Braun ( cjb@cci632 )

Jeopardy ans.: Death. Question: What is the utlimate "out of Body" experience?

The thrill of driving down dirt roads at high speeds in the middle of
the night is only contrasted by the "green death" suffered by most
navigators...

medin@cod.UUCP (05/16/87)

 Well lets talk about cars that last. I have a 73 pinto with 240k and
a 72 Suburban with 200k. I do my own maintenace and follow the recomendations
exactly. I had the pinto engine rebuilt at 200k just because i couldnt believe
the engine could keep running. The mechanic that did the rebuild still
has the bearings and they really looked good. I had the chevy rebuilt
at 180k same mechanic and he said that it was in great shape also,
condidering the mileage. Great maintenane? Probably helped some but
both cars are station wagons and came pretty much stripped. Both have
manual transmissions (i really wouldnt own a power flush) and i think
ford and gm did a great job on the cars. They arnt perfect but when they
wear out i would like to buy another pair just like them.
                                            Ted