[rec.autos] Robocop spotted

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (02/10/88)

Here in Paradise Valley, Arizona, we have the dubious distinction of
being the only place in the US where speeding tickets are given by
mail after an automatic device snaps your picture and speed! About 10
days after the alleged offense, you get a speeding ticket in the mail.
I find this pretty offensive, since I can't remember everywhere I go
and how fast 10 days later. It has raised a lot of controversy (not
to mention money for the town) since it has been installed, but so
far has not been beaten in court.

Today, I spotted this beast. I drove by and noticed that my radar
detector didn't respond to it. The person running the device said
that it operates on Ka band (34 gHz). Most radar detectors only
operate on X (10 gHz) and Ku (24 gHz) bands. Also, he said that it
only runs 1/2 milliwatt of power, making it detectable for about
1 second if you can receive Ka band. Finally, it will in the future
use a laser, making it totally undetectable with microwave radar
detectors.

So.... If this thing continues to hold up in court, you could be
next! Big brother is watching and taking your picture. Good Luck!

P.S. It hasn't got me yet (I hope)! I don't speed in PV anyhow.
--
John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 870-3330 (day or evening)

kevinr@tandem.UUCP (Kevin J. Rowett) (02/11/88)

In article <602@anasaz.UUCP>, john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
> Here in Paradise Valley, Arizona, we have the dubious distinction of
> being the only place in the US where speeding tickets are given by
> mail after an automatic device snaps your picture and speed!
>
> that it operates on Ka band (34 gHz). Most radar detectors only

      Quite correct.

> So.... If this thing continues to hold up in court, you could be

	  It has not held up much in CA! Speed Capital of the West.

The CHP has had a hard time prosecuting the tickets in Northern
CA.  Basically, the evidence submitted is circumstantial.

A quick fix is to install a slave strobe under your hood. When
the ROBOCOP flashes, you flash! If your wattage is high enough,
and your circuits fast enough, the picture won't be quite as
good.

Kevin Rowett
.....ihnp4!ptsfa!pacbell!tandem
N6RCE

robert@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Robert Allen) (02/11/88)

+
+Today, I spotted this beast. I drove by and noticed that my radar
+detector didn't respond to it. The person running the device said
+that it operates on Ka band (34 gHz). Most radar detectors only
+operate on X (10 gHz) and Ku (24 gHz) bands. Also, he said that it
+only runs 1/2 milliwatt of power, making it detectable for about
+1 second if you can receive Ka band. Finally, it will in the future
+use a laser, making it totally undetectable with microwave radar
+detectors.

	Lasers huh?  Well, there are ways to fight this.  Blinding
	the sensor with another stationary laser is one way, emitting
	a laser when pulsed would be another would be difficult, but
	maybe possible with a wide spread laser.  However, I think the
	best solution would be the use of a laser targeting system
	on a large caliber long range weapons, such as a .300 Winchester
	magnum.  That should tend to inhibit Big Brother....
Robert Allen, robert@spam.istc.sri.com
415-859-2143 (work phone, days)

welty@sunbarney.steinmetz (richard welty) (02/11/88)

In article <602@anasaz.UUCP> john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
> about the new automagic ticket generators ...

That sounds pretty accurate, given the reporting I've heard so far.
I have heard one report that some civic minded souls have discovered
that the ticket machine can be dealt with easily with a can of spray
paint.  I find this amusing, although I'd never actually recommend
destruction of public property ...

Richard Welty   Phone H: 518-237-6307  W: 518-387-6346
                {rochester,philabs,uunet}!steinmetz!welty
                welty@ge-crd.ARPA
``join the auto-sports mailing list -- it's easy and it's fun''

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/11/88)

You would be amazed what a good rifle could do to that device.

;-)
---
uop!todd@uunet.uu.net
                cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa
                                     {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (02/11/88)

     Gadgets like this, although rare in the US, have been around for
years in Germany and Japan.  But the radar/lidar approach really ought
to be replaced with a motion vision system which matched the images
from frame to frame and measured speed in that way.  The major problem
is that television resolution isn't good enough to read a licence plate
given a field of view that covers an entire road.  But once HDTV cameras
become generally available, this problem should go away.  Even without
HDTV technology, it may be possible to make this work, although it will
probably take one camera per lane.

     The major advantage of the video approach is that misidentification of the
vehicle can be much reduced, if not eliminated.  With a videotape as a
check, there's an objective but human-checkable record to be examined in
court when necessary.   This should make it a lot harder to be
falsely identified as the speeding car, while making it much easier to
get convictions in court.

     Digesting the data at TV rates is hard, but not impossible.
Signal processing chips that can convolve images in real-time are starting
to become widely available.  (Any DSP5600 users out there, by the way?)
Note that the only exposed component of the system is the camera, and
cameras are not only cheap, but tiny.  (Pulnix has some very nice
cameras about 1" x 1" x4"; these are becoming popular with the robotics
people, especially when you want a camera near the end of an arm.)

     There could be a nice product opportunity here for someone.

					John Nagle

john@anasaz.UUCP (02/11/88)

In article <342@tandem.UUCP> kevinr@tandem.UUCP (Kevin J. Rowett) writes:
>In article <602@anasaz.UUCP>, john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>> Here in Paradise Valley, Arizona, we have the dubious distinction of
>> being the only place in the US where speeding tickets are given by
>> mail after an automatic device snaps your picture and speed!

>A quick fix is to install a slave strobe under your hood. When
>the ROBOCOP flashes, you flash! If your wattage is high enough,
>and your circuits fast enough, the picture won't be quite as
>good.

Clever idea! Unfortunately, this machine is accompanied by both
a technician and a policeman, and it might result in one
being chased and then charged with something nasty like
obstruction of justice (anyone know if they can do this?).
How about a near infrared emitter which will fog the film
but be invisible to the operators? I don't know enough
about the spectral response of the film, but there might
be something that would work.

--

gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) (02/11/88)

In article <602@anasaz.UUCP> john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>Today, I spotted this beast. I drove by and noticed that my radar
>detector didn't respond to it. The person running the device said
>that it operates on Ka band (34 gHz). Most radar detectors only
>operate on X (10 gHz) and Ku (24 gHz) bands. Also, he said that it
>only runs 1/2 milliwatt of power, making it detectable for about
>1 second if you can receive Ka band. Finally, it will in the future
>use a laser, making it totally undetectable with microwave radar
>detectors.

     First off, unless you really think any followups have any bearing
on sci.electronics, please remove it from the groups.

     Anyways, the latest ad for BEL detectors claims to detect all Ka
as well as X and K (Ku) bands. Of course, at 0.5 mw of power, it may very
well be hard to detect. As for the laser, does anyone have any ideas on
commercializing stealth technology?

						George J Wu
						rutgers!clyde!gwu

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/11/88)

> ... the ticket machine can be dealt with easily with a can of spray
> paint.

Spray paint? Rifle bullets? Nah...too brute-force.  Assuming that the
radar works on the conventional CW Doppler principle, there is a much more
elegant way.

Just set up a small electric fan with metal blades in front of the
device. If the blades are properly shaped (or re-shaped) and the fan
turns at the right speed, the radar unit should be fooled into thinking
it's seeing a speeder. Just leave the unit on long enough for the ticket
machine to expend all of its film.

Don't stand in front of the camera while you're doing this...

Phil

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/12/88)

Gee around here I know a few people that would love to have such
a device for their private collections.  Seems to me that they
had better be welded down pretty well.

-Ron

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/12/88)

or just take off your front license plate...

keep it in the trunk with a lame excuse to a cop that you had intended
to go get some new screws to mount it..

you can speed, they can take your picture, but so what??

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/12/88)

In article <610@anasaz.UUCP> john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>In article <342@tandem.UUCP> kevinr@tandem.UUCP (Kevin J. Rowett) writes:
>>In article <602@anasaz.UUCP>, john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>>> [...] speeding tickets are given by
>>> mail after an automatic device snaps your picture and speed!
>
>>[...] install a slave strobe under your hood. When
>>the ROBOCOP flashes, you flash!
>
>Unfortunately, this machine is accompanied by both
>a technician and a policeman [...]
>How about a near infrared emitter which will fog the film
>but be invisible to the operators?

Why not go all out and make an X-ray projector?  If you manage to make
it tight-beam, you'll be able to completely blacken the film (probably
even the whole roll, to the delight of everyone else that day).  Of
course, X-rays are sufficiently dangerous that you might hurt the
operators if you go by them very often.

Come to think of it, a CO2 laser of sufficient power could do some
pretty good damage, too, and is also invisible.  But now we're getting
into SDI-style defenses...

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

matt@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Mad Matt Schaefer) (02/12/88)

In article <602@anasaz.UUCP> john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>Here in Paradise Valley, Arizona, we have the dubious distinction of
>being the only place in the US where speeding tickets are given by
>mail after an automatic device snaps your picture and speed! About 10

I've heard of this system in Europe (Germany?) and somebody told me that it
became unpopular with government officials and other important people because
the ticket and picture came in the mail while the guy was at work and his
wife opened it and saw the picture of the car, plate, speed, husband, and
*the other woman* in the car with him. I thought, "this guy is not gonna get
the welcome he is expecting when he gets home."

Mad Matt Schaefer                  ...!{harvard,ihnp4,rutgers,ucbvax}!uwvax!matt
UW-Madison Computer Sciences Laboratory                         matt@cs.wisc.edu

mrapple@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) (02/13/88)

The big problem is that Robocop won't know who is DRIVING the car.
In this country, moving violations go against the record of the
driver, not the owner of the car. So you can say, "Gee, Judge Wapner,
I was in a bar in Cincinati at that time. I don't know who was driving
my car..."

Nick Sayer | Packet Radio: N6QQQ @ WA6RDH | CMS: SYSOP@STOKTON%STOCKTON
uucp: ...!sdcsvax!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!mrapple | Fido: 161/31
Disclaimer:   You didn't REALLY believe that, did you?
cat flames > /dev/null

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/13/88)

In article <1070@uop.edu>, mrapple@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) writes:

> The big problem is that Robocop won't know who is DRIVING the car.

Yeah, the picture was your twin brother huh?

> In this country, moving violations go against the record of the
> driver, not the owner of the car. So you can say, "Gee, Judge Wapner,
> I was in a bar in Cincinati at that time. I don't know who was driving
> my car..."

Must be the *other* nick sayer in that picture!

> Nick Sayer | Packet Head: N6QQQ @ WA6QRM| CMS: SYSOP@STOKTON%STOCKTON
> uucp: ...!sdcsvax!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!mrapple | Fido: 161/31
> Disclaimer:   You didn't REALLY believe that, did you?

Nope!

reese@eeg.UUCP (Reese E. Faucette) (02/13/88)

In article <11407@sri-spam.istc.sri.com>, robert@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Robert Allen) writes:
> 	...  However, I think the
> 	best solution would be the use of a laser targeting system
> 	on a large caliber long range weapons, such as a .300 Winchester
> 	magnum.  That should tend to inhibit Big Brother....

good thing b.b. doesn't think the same way!
--
Reese E. Faucette, EEG Systems Laboratory
1855 Folsom St, San Francisco, Ca 94103 (415) 621-8343

welty@sunbarney.steinmetz (richard welty) (02/14/88)

In article <1070@uop.edu> mrapple@uop.edu (Nick Sayer) writes:

>The big problem is that Robocop won't know who is DRIVING the car.
>In this country, moving violations go against the record of the
>driver, not the owner of the car. So you can say, "Gee, Judge Wapner,
>I was in a bar in Cincinati at that time. I don't know who was driving
>my car..."

This proves to be alterable via local statute.  Communities that are
trying out the robocop have altered their laws so that they may charge
the owner if said owner refuses to identify the driver at the time of
the infraction.  I wonder if the owner gets any points from this ...

Richard Welty   Phone H: 518-237-6307  W: 518-387-6346
                {rochester,philabs,uunet}!steinmetz!welty
                welty@ge-crd.ARPA
``join the auto-sports mailing list -- it's easy and it's fun''

sampson@killer.UUCP (Steve Sampson) (02/14/88)

The radars are not left unattended (illegal in usa).  The version I saw was
in the back of a Blazer.  Is anyone else working on a HARM missle for this
thing...   I understand the collection rate is almost 100% before trial.  The
pictures are excellent!

maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) (02/15/88)

If they use lasers for speed detections, they would have to meet
very VERY stringent laser safety standards. Aiming a laser at
a car with a driver in it could cause BLINDNESS to the poor
driver if VERY stringent controls are not adhered to. Laser light
is very dangerous if it is aimed directly into someone's eyes. No, I
dont think this will happen.

Also on the subject of automated speeding detectors, you guys have
forgotten something very important. Vandalism/sabotage. Remember, these
things are unmanned and at the mercy of those who hate them and what they
represent. A piece of duct tape over the camera lense arpiture would do
the job temporily or better still, a heavy pick up with a snowplow
on it . . . . .

> ... it might result in one
> being chased and then charged with something nasty like
> obstruction of justice (anyone know if they can do this?).

Interfering with a police officer in the performance of his duties is
usually a serious offence.  Almost anything you do to interfere with a
police radar setup would probably qualify, if detected.

> How about a near infrared emitter which will fog the film
> but be invisible to the operators? ...

Might work.  Remember that "near infrared" is not entirely invisible if
it's bright; the eye's sensitivity tails off in the IR, but it doesn't
go immediately to zero.  Some of the near-IR fiber-optic wavelengths are
visible, dimly, in a dark room.  Your IR flash is going to have to be
pretty bright if it's going to mess up the picture seriously.  It might
be better to try for localized effects in crucial areas like the license
plate.  Near-IR markings, brightly lit in the near IR, might make it
impossible to read the number.  I don't know offhand whether suitable
marking materials are available, though.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

> This proves to be alterable via local statute.  Communities that are
> trying out the robocop have altered their laws so that they may charge
> the owner if said owner refuses to identify the driver at the time of
> the infraction.  I wonder if the owner gets any points from this ...

More significant, I wonder if it is legal, given the constitutional rules
about innocent-until-proven-guilty and self-incrimination.  Getting it
struck down could be lengthy and expensive, mind you.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

moto@cad.Berkeley.EDU (EDIF Committee) (02/16/88)

 Not only are they trying robo-cops, there is a new law which reclasifies
 most driving offenses as "civil" - what that means is that you are guilty
 unless you can prove innocence! The "legalese" is that the officer is unbiased,
 and his word is equal to yours, unless you have something to back you up.
 The standard of guilt is 50/50!
 BB is alive and well in AZ!

 Mike
 .

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (02/17/88)

What about building an awacs-esque array that will pick up the
police radio's local oscillator (air ground and radar)??

This is *sci* electronics, maybe we could discuss the necessary theory?

+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +
                alias /dev/null postmaster@nmtvax
;-)

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (02/17/88)

Gee, you mean traffic may have to start slowing down or we risk getting a
speeding ticket in the mail returning home from work or play?  And when
statistics start showing a drop in fatalities?  Boy, it's going to be tuff.
Like smokers giving up their habit.  Do we all have a degree of "death wish"?

Isn't it exciting to read how to try and beat the law?  No, not really - but
this is just my personal insight and feeling.  Thanks for letting me share it
with you.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (02/18/88)

In article <982@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) writes:

>If they use lasers for speed detections, they would have to meet
>very VERY stringent laser safety standards. Aiming a laser at
Lasers are already used in some places.
>things are unmanned and at the mercy of those who hate them and what they
Once again: The one around here is manned by an armed policeman! I suspect
that any usage in the US they will be manned or otherwise well protected,
given out penchant for vandalizing things that we like, much less things
that we dislike!
--
John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 870-3330 (day or evening)
The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.

welty@sunbarney.steinmetz (richard welty) (02/19/88)

In article <2588@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
... various comments of Bill's omitted ...

-- I'd like to dispute one of them, but this is massively crossposted, so
instead I'll point out that we (all of us, in all three newsgroups here)
have been doing a terrible job of editing the newsgroups: line.  The
relevance of this to sci.electronics is essentially non-existant, and
the relevance to rec.ham-radio is not all that perceptible.

What amazes me (not being a reader of sci.electronics or rec.ham-radio)
is that we rec.autos types haven't yet inspired massive flaming of the
usual sort.  sci.electronics and rec.ham-radio must be very pleasant
places by net.standards.

Seriously, please check the newsgroups line.

Enough for now -- I have to go post a light-bulb joke to rec.arts.woebegon

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (02/20/88)

In article <9597@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> welty@sunbarney.UUCP (richard welty) writes:
>have been doing a terrible job of editing the newsgroups: line.  The
>relevance of this to sci.electronics is essentially non-existant, and
>the relevance to rec.ham-radio is not all that perceptible.
As the original poster of this Robocop Spotted article,
let me point out that I posted to three newsgroups for a reason:
The interest in rec.autos is obvious.
rec.ham-radio has many readers interested in the technology involved.
rec.electronics also has readers interested in the technology who may
not read rec.ham-radio.
   Once side threads develop, editing the newsgroups line makes a lot of sense.
--

snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) (02/20/88)

In article <602@anasaz.UUCP> john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) writes:

> Finally, it will in the future
> use a laser, making it totally undetectable with microwave radar
> detectors.

I assume they won't care about zapping people in the eye with lasers
anymore than they care about zapping them in the eye with microwaves.

-sigh-

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com

"And with multiple vapor-processors, it does 50 vapor-MIPS."

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/20/88)

In article <21649@clyde.ATT.COM>, gwu@clyde.ATT.COM (George Wu) writes:
>      Anyways, the latest ad for BEL detectors claims to detect all Ka
> as well as X and K (Ku) bands. Of course, at 0.5 mw of power, it may very
> well be hard to detect. As for the laser, does anyone have any ideas on
> commercializing stealth technology?
> 						George J Wu
> 						rutgers!clyde!gwu

Well... It was explained to me that older corvettes are more immune
from all radar because of their angled radiator design...  Dunno
If I want to believe this.

Toyota, Japan has a test bed vehicle with just about any time of sensing
navagational device you could want in a car.  Why not have passive sensing
devices that listen for nearby xmissions on police band?  Maybe sensors on
the front and rear doing a quick bit of ranging?  Then assume that
all cops are running radar.. Oh well, I suppose this doesn't belong
on sci.electronics, does it...

--
Just say NO to skate harassment. | Just another journalist with too much
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?        | computing power..

tga@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Greg Ames) (02/22/88)

In article <9774@tekecs.TEK.COM> snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <602@anasaz.UUCP> john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>
>> Finally, it will in the future
>> use a laser, making it totally undetectable with microwave radar
>> detectors.
>
>I assume they won't care about zapping people in the eye with lasers
>anymore than they care about zapping them in the eye with microwaves.

Small problem with the logic here...  Getting shot in the eye with laser
radiation has been scientifically proven to cause retinal damage, even
at fairly low doses.  Microwaves are harmless, except at high doses (all
they do to biological tissue is heat it, not cause cromosome damage)
To put it in perspective, a microwave oven emits about 700 watts (or more)
of power inside it.  Radar guns are on the order of a few hundred milliwatts
(or about .001 times the power of an oven)  All that a cop's radar gun will
do to you is heat your body tissue about .0000001 degrees.
                            -Greg

[-----------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[   Greg Ames                             US Mail - HB 1362, Dartmouth College]
[   E Mail - tga@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU              Hanover, NH 03755         ]
[-----------------------------------------------------------------------------]

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (02/23/88)

>(...) All that a cop's radar gun will
>do to you is heat your body tissue about .0000001 degrees.
>                            -Greg

Generally speaking, I'm sure that's true.  HOWEVER, a friend of mine owns
a radar gun (picked up at a police auction, he's a traffic reporter for a
radio station, so he has a good use for it) and he found out the hard way
that they can indeed be dangerous.  He made the mistake of pointing it at
his face when it was turned on (OK, he's not too bright :-) ), and burned
his face pretty good from just a few seconds of exposure.  I don't know
how quickly the power of the microwaves decreases with distance (probably
expotential) but it seems that with the longer amount of exposure it could
be POTENTIALLY dangerous.

Steve Ward                                     stevewa@upvax.UUCP
University of Portland                         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa

krc@cs.purdue.EDU (Kenny "RoboBrother" Crudup) (02/24/88)

In article <321@upvax.UUCP>, stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
> Generally speaking, I'm sure that's true.  HOWEVER, a friend of mine owns
> a radar gun and he found out the hard way
> that they can indeed be dangerous.  He made the mistake of pointing it at
> his face when it was turned on and burned
> his face pretty good from just a few seconds of exposure.
> Steve Ward                                     stevewa@upvax.UUCP

I can see it now, in some bass-ackwards town with a shithead sheriff and
some poor slob with no money stopped doing 105. "You got two choices:
You can pay the fine or smile inna this here DE-tek-tor for a coupla
minutes. Heh Heh Heh."

Or better yet- spot microwaving for those foods that don't need the
*whole* oven! Keeps the hot-side hot, and the cold-side cold! (*This
technology courtesy of the McDonalds corporation)

--
Kenny "_R_o_b_o_B_r_o_t_h_e_r" Crudup		krc@arthur.cs.purdue.edu
Purdue University CS Dept.

ssr@COS.COM (Dave Kucharczyk) (02/25/88)

In article <321@upvax.UUCP> stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>>(...) All that a cop's radar gun will
>>do to you is heat your body tissue about .0000001 degrees.
>>                            -Greg
>
>Generally speaking, I'm sure that's true.  HOWEVER, a friend of mine owns
>a radar gun (picked up at a police auction, he's a traffic reporter for a
>radio station, so he has a good use for it) and he found out the hard way
>that they can indeed be dangerous.  He made the mistake of pointing it at
>his face when it was turned on (OK, he's not too bright :-) ), and burned
>his face pretty good from just a few seconds of exposure.  I don't know
>how quickly the power of the microwaves decreases with distance (probably
>expotential) but it seems that with the longer amount of exposure it could
>be POTENTIALLY dangerous.

  As far as tissue "heating" goes radar guns are not anywhere near the
right frequency for heating water (like a microwave oven) however if
the field strength is high enough you can get RF burns just like
from any other transmitter.  The field strength changes as the reciprocal
of the distance squared (1/d^2) from the source.  However microwaves have
enough penetration to get inside your skull and the effects of that
can be rather interesting (the Russian's tried shooting microwaves through
the windows at the US embassy in Moscow).  They vary from "hearing"
a constant buzz to nausea and general irratability.  There's an old
saying why Virginia state troopers act so funny sometimes (they used
to position their radar guns in the back of the car pointing forward !)...

ssr

Usual discalaimer at employers request (The opinions stated here are all mine).

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (02/25/88)

Just program your scanner to listen for the local oscillator frequency
of the police radio.  For example, if the police frequency is 158.97 MHz
(as it is in my area), and the radio is a Motorola Micor, then the IF
frequency is 11.7 MHz so the local oscillator will be at either 170.67 MHz
or 147.27 MHz (i.e. the channel +/- the IF).  Around here, it's 147.27,
so I just leave my radio tuned to that frequency, and whenever I'm
within a block or so of a police car, my scanner starts to sputter and
belch from the very weak signal radiated by the police car's receiver.

Only problem is that 147.27 is a popular ham radio frequency, so if some
old farts are gassing about their ailments, I don't hear the PD.  But
you might be luckier.
	- Brian

muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller) (02/26/88)

In article <418@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

>Well... It was explained to me that older corvettes are more immune
>from all radar because of their angled radiator design...  Dunno
>If I want to believe this.

It is believable.  Quite some years ago now, maybe >10, C&D did several tests
of various detectors/cars/techniques, and one thing they discovered was that
the Corvette and the Honda Civic were both poor radar reflectors.  The reason
for the Corvette being bad (good) is not especially because of its plastic
body, since the plastic just passes the radar on to the next reflector in, and
there are plenty of them (radiator, block, driver's face, bumper, anything else
metal or water).  In this case, though, the bumper (a big, flat slab of steel
on some cars) was just a thin strip, angled sharply.  The radiator was angled
up, and it effectively shielded the block with its shadow.  That a radiator
would be a good radar reflector is quite understandable, since the wavelenghts
are on the order of a few centimeters.  Surface irregularities smaller than the
wavelength tend to be "ignored".  Thus a car radiator, with its few-millimeter
spacing of metal conductors, looks just about like a mirror to radar.

ard@pdn.UUCP (Akash Deshpande) (02/27/88)

In article <321@upvax.UUCP>, stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>                                                            I don't know
> how quickly the power of the microwaves decreases with distance (probably
> expotential) ...
> Steve Ward                                     stevewa@upvax.UUCP

	Probably inverse square

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (02/28/88)

Erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:

>Well... It was explained to me that older corvettes are more immune
>from all radar because of their angled radiator design...  Dunno
>If I want to believe this.

We all know that DoD invests tons of money in developing special
materials for aircraft surface to reduce reflection of radar. I wonder
if there will be some sort of spin-off product for civilian applicaion,
such as low-reflection pain for cars. I hope I am not day dreaming.

Jinfu Chen

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (02/29/88)

In article <3541@cup.portal.com> Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:
>Erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>>Well... It was explained to me that older corvettes are more immune
>>from all radar because of their angled radiator design...  Dunno
>We all know that DoD invests tons of money in developing special
>materials for aircraft surface to reduce reflection of radar. I wonder
>if there will be some sort of spin-off product for civilian applicaion,
>such as low-reflection pain for cars. I hope I am not day dreaming.

I actually thought about how to make a car radar "invisible" a few
months back.  The trick is not to use any of the fancy fiber-glass or
plastic panels, but to use thin metal, probably titanium or aluminum.
Instead of trying to make the car so that it does not reflect any
radar, make it so that it reflects the radar away from the source.

The car would probably have a long slanting hood (approx 30%) and
never have any part of the front perpendicular to the road.  For added
protection, it might be a good idea to put some radar absorbing foam
behind the metal body panels to make sure any radar that gets past the
panels is not reflected back to the source.  The windshield should be
impregnated or coated with some metal.  Maybe the transparent aluminum
that is being used by one of the big three for defrosting the window
should be used.

Of course, a radar detector mounted outside of the body is nessicary.
The car is designed to be invisible from the front, affording the
driver enough time to slow down to a legal speed before the more
visible tail of the car can be clocked.

Unfortunately, if you start thinking about what a car that reflects
all the radar away from the source would look like, you come up with a
car that could easily be pulled over because it looks too fast.  "You
may not be speeding, but who is going to beleive you weren't speeding
in _this_ car?"

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/29/88)

In article <1056@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:
>>Erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>>>Well... It was explained to me that older corvettes are more immune
>>>from all radar because of their angled radiator design...
>
>I actually thought about how to make a car radar "invisible" a few
>months back.  The trick is not to use any of the fancy fiber-glass or
>plastic panels, but to use thin metal, probably titanium or aluminum.
>Instead of trying to make the car so that it does not reflect any
>radar, make it so that it reflects the radar away from the source.

[description of whole car design deleted]

>Unfortunately, if you start thinking about what a car that reflects
>all the radar away from the source would look like, you come up with a
>car that could easily be pulled over because it looks too fast.  "You
>may not be speeding, but who is going to beleive you weren't speeding
>in _this_ car?"

Your description is quite good, but you don't have to build the entire
car like this.  As previously mentioned, the Corvette's design led to
low radar image even though it had not been designed that way.

You need only bounce the radar from items that would return a radar
image of sufficient strength to be useful.  Generally, this means the
engine block.

Why not put angled plates around the engine that would either reflect
the radar up or down (or both)?  Make the car body out of some
non-radar-reflecting substance (such as plastic).  The car itself
would be invisible to the radar, and the big target (the engine) would
be protected.

Your car wouldn't even have to look "fast".

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (03/02/88)

In article <2341@pdn.UUCP> ard@pdn.UUCP (Akash Deshpande) writes:
>In article <321@upvax.UUCP>, stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>>                                                            I don't know
>> how quickly the power of the microwaves decreases with distance (probably
>> expotential) ...
>> Steve Ward                                     stevewa@upvax.UUCP
>
>	Probably inverse square
It's like any other E-M field: inverse square if point source, all
sorts of interesting decay if not.

--

Alix's Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{ima,harvard}!bbn!aoa!carl

mwwheatl@uokmax.UUCP (Mark W Wheatley) (03/02/88)

Concerning the automatic ticket/photo taking machines...
While looking through a June 20, 1969 London Times (just to see what was
up the day before the Moon shot) I founbd an article about such a
device having been developed in Texas and just being brought over to
Europe to see if anyone was interested. My point is this technology is
not as new as some may think. My apologies is this point has been posted
before as I am new to this newsgroup.

					Mark Wheatley
					mwwheatl@uokmax.UUCP
					[...ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!mwwheatl]

mikef@wynalda.UUCP (Mike Faber) (03/05/88)

In article <3541@cup.portal.com>, Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:
> such as low-reflection pain for cars. I hope I am not day dreaming.

I prefer my cars to deal with High-reflection pain, myself.  It let's
that paint job last longer.

--
   _   _                  | This article contains no thought, so my employer
  (/  (/  _  _   _   _    | and sysop cannot share my opinions.