[rec.autos] Correct Terminology

kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) (02/17/89)

In article <3167@stiatl.UUCP> john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:

>Perhaps between this and the laser radar, we'll be motivated to do what
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
There's been a lot of talk over laser radar lately.

Is this the term we should be using for this?  (radar=RAdio Detecting
And Ranging).  Since we're quite a bit shorter than radio, shouldn't this
be LIDAR?  (LIght Detecting And Ranging)

Of course we could make it generic and call it EMDAR (Electro-Magnetic
Detecting And Ranging).

Or we could just call it BULLSHIT for what it really is. :-)
(Sorry, no acronym for this one.  It is left as an exercise for all
those rec.humor readers out there.)

Remember... You heard it here first! :-)  (Where's that caffeine?)

---
Keane Arase                   | Thought for the Day:
kean@tank.uchicago.edu        | Drive safely, Drive Offensively.
syskean@uchimvs1.uchicago.edu |   -- An old Chicago rush hour motto :-)

              *  Please file the usual disclaimers here  *

bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) (02/17/89)

In art <1868@tank.uchicago.edu>, kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) writes:
> There's been a lot of talk over laser radar lately.

[ Conserving bandwidth (and getting it through postnews!) ]

> Or we could just call it BULLSHIT for what it really is. :-)

Maybe it's not such a bad idea.  Microwave radar has a tendancy to pick up
on the strongest reflection it gets--and we all hope it's the vehicle being
pointed at!  Laser light could be focused into a narrow beam and we'd KNOW
which vehicle was being clocked.  'Course there's no leakage for Cincinnati
Microwave to pick up on....

--
Bill Nickless                    Andrews University Computer Science Department
...!sharkey!aucis!bnick or bnick@aucis.UUCP                  Unix Support Group

              "Help!  I'm locked up in this .signature factory!"

kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) (02/18/89)

In article <142@aucis.UUCP> bnick@aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) writes:

>pointed at!  Laser light could be focused into a narrow beam and we'd KNOW
>which vehicle was being clocked.  'Course there's no leakage for Cincinnati
>Microwave to pick up on....

The laser beam will spread 3.5 feet in 1000 ft (1/5 mile!) and register
your speed in 1/4 to 1/2 second.  (I know *I* don't have reaction
times this fast!)  And of course there will be no *radio* leakage.

BTW, they aim the device with a telescopic scope.  The same type used
on hunting rifles.  (Let's see... Put that red jag in the crosshairs
and squeeze the trigger... :-)
--

h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) (02/21/89)

In article <1895@tank.uchicago.edu>, kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) writes

> The laser beam will spread 3.5 feet in 1000 ft (1/5 mile!) and register
> your speed in 1/4 to 1/2 second.  (I know *I* don't have reaction

A laser will spread 3.5 feet in 1/5 mile?
Are you sure?
That doesn't sound like coherent light.
Dave J.
homxc!h16
usual disclaimer implied

bishel@mcnc.org (Geoffrey R. Bishel) (02/21/89)

In article <5632@homxc.ATT.COM> h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) writes:

>A laser will spread 3.5 feet in 1/5 mile?
>Are you sure?
>That doesn't sound like coherent light.

You've got to remember that the beam is passing thru the air, and dust, dirt,
water molecules, etc. will all diffract the beam to some extent.  Thus you get
a spreading of the beam.

--
Geoff Bishel                    "Parlez en anglais, for Christ's sake," said the
(bishel@mcnc.org)               Corporal. "Je ne parle pas francais."

consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox ) (02/22/89)

In article <1895@tank.uchicago.edu> kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) writes:
>The laser beam will spread 3.5 feet in 1000 ft...

That's wonderful news for all us motorcyclists.  All this fine new
technology and it'll be as fundamentally unreliable (assuming ignorance
of the principles involved, which seems a safe assumption) as existing
radar equipment.

>BTW, they aim the device with a telescopic scope.  The same type used
>on hunting rifles.

So now they not only have to calibrate the device, but scope it in too?
Sure.

(btw, motorcycles ain't got no front plates!  :-)

                                                                 Phil Kos
                                                      Information Systems
...!uunet!pyrdc!osiris!phil                    The Johns Hopkins Hospital
                                                            Baltimore, MD

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (02/22/89)

In article <4057@alvin.mcnc.org> bishel@mcnc.org.UUCP (Geoffrey R. Bishel) writes:
>In article <5632@homxc.ATT.COM> h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) writes:
>>
>>A laser will spread 3.5 feet in 1/5 mile?
>>Are you sure?
>>That doesn't sound like coherent light.
>
>You've got to remember that the beam is passing thru the air, and dust, dirt,
>water molecules, etc. will all diffract the beam to some extent.  Thus you get
>a spreading of the beam.
>--
>Geoff Bishel                    "Parlez en anglais, for Christ's sake," said the
>(bishel@mcnc.org)               Corporal. "Je ne parle pas francais."
>Standard Disclaimers apply      "Neither do I," answered Yossarian...
>(Picture your ad here!)               (Joseph Heller - _Catch 22_)

Another thing to think about - a beam a few feet wide is going to reflect
a beam a bit bigger than that, but not much.  If the copper is on the side
of the road, he's going to have to "wiggle" the laser around until it hits
a perpendicular plane on your car.  If, for example, he hits the hood, most
of the beam is going to be angled upwards into the sky.  His best bet is to
aim somewhat low, since it isn't going to bounce off of the windshield
or any other part of the car.  The grill/radiator/bumber would probably
be the best bet.  As far as the scope - it had better be pretty damn
accurately aligned.  If it's off by only 4 or 5 feet, it would be very easy
to hit a car next to you.  Or what if a semi was coming up from behind you
at a pretty good pace - if he aimed at your windsheid, it would go through
the front windshield, through the passenger's compartment, through the rear
windshield, and bounce off the semi.  Kind of scary.

							--- Jeff

+----------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
|  Jeff DePolo  [depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu]  | o  The best things in life   |
|   =>  The University of Pennsylvania  <=     |    come in six-packs.        |
| Class of 1991 - Computer Science Engineering | o  Life begins at 85 MPH.    |
+----------------------------------------------+ o  It's not illegal if they  |
| DISCLAIMER:  Someone else used my account.   |    don't catch you.          |
+----------------------------------------------+------------------------------+

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (02/23/89)

}
}You've got to remember that the beam is passing thru the air, and dust, dirt,
}water molecules, etc. will all diffract the beam to some extent.  Thus you get
}a spreading of the beam.

About 15 years ago, when lasers were relatively new toys, I was living in
London, England.  One night I went to a film festival on Oxford Street.
Evidently, some other event was going on as well and, for decoration, they
had what looked like two "neon" tubes, one red, one blue, hanging in the
air from Regent Street to Charing Cross Road, a distance of about a mile.

I soon realized that an unbroken, unsupported length of neon that long was
impossible, and the effect had to be created by two laser beams aimed down
the length of the street.

There was no obvious spreading of the beams, in spite of a light mist in
the air.

A commonly quoted statistic, at the time, was that a one inch laser beam
aimed from the earth to the moon would spread to a circle 50,000 ft in
diameter. 50K ft / 250K mi = .2 ft/ mi spread, or about 2.4 inches per
mile.

Any way you look at it, 17.5 ft of spread per mile isn't even in the ball
park.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/23/89)

In article <5632@homxc.ATT.COM> h16@homxc.ATT.COM (D.JACOBOWITZ) writes:
>In article <1895@tank.uchicago.edu>, kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) writes
>>
>> The laser beam will spread 3.5 feet in 1000 ft (1/5 mile!) and register
>> your speed in 1/4 to 1/2 second.  (I know *I* don't have reaction
>
>A laser will spread 3.5 feet in 1/5 mile?
>Are you sure?
>That doesn't sound like coherent light.

Whether a laser spreads out or not is irrelevent.  Coherent light refers
to the wavelengths and wavepatterns.  Think of how they are trying to
get fusion reactors developed.  They have huge lasers which they then
focus through a lens onto a tiny pinpoint, hoping to force enough energy
onto that pinpoint to force it to implode and fuse, thereby releasing
energy.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

kean@tank.uchicago.edu (Keane Arase) (02/24/89)

[I've directed all follow-ups to rec.autos]

In article <3930@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:

>Any way you look at it, 17.5 ft of spread per mile isn't even in the ball
>park.

Okay, I'm the one who reported it would spread 3.5 feet in 1000ft.

From Autoweek, 12/12/88:

David Williams, president of the Littleton, Colo., company that also makes
other lasers for uses such as underwater surveys, said that the four
pound device, which is seven inches long, uses an invisible laser beam
and is aimed with a scope.  It is fired like a pistol and registers the
speed of it's target in 1/4 to 1/2 second.  The device, which has not
been given a formal name, has a range of 1500ft, although that may
be expanded to 2000 to 2500 ft.

How could a car be targeted at that distance?  Williams said one option
on the laser gun would be a magnifying scope.

The unit is expected to cost about $3,500, roughly $500 more than the most
expensive police radar unit and more than twice as much as what most radar
units cost.

Currently, there are no lasers being used for speed enforcement, although
the idea has been around for two decades, said Jerome Dennis, the chief
of laser product division of the federal government's Center for
Devices and Radiological Health.

Dennis said he is not aware of any other devices that shoot lasers at humans,
other than those used for medical purposes.  He said the games that
children play use infrared beams, not lasers.

Dennis said before the unit can be tested by police or sold, it must be
reviewed by the Center to make certain that it meets safety standards.
He said the review HAS NOT YET TAKEN PLACE.  (emphasis mine - ka)

One attraction of a laser gun would be that it cannot be detected by radar
detectors, said Capt. Ken Casperson, the commanding officer of the
traffic services division for the Michigan Department of State Police.

The radar used by police sends out a radio beam that may cover two or
three lanes of highway at 1000 ft.  Some of the beam hits the vehicle
and bounces back to the radar gun, providing speed of the target.
However, the rest of the beam, sometimes known as "scatter," continues
down the road where it can be picked up by radar detectors.

But there is little scatter with the laser gun, said Williams.  He said
the laser beam is aimed at one vehicle and at 1000 ft. is ONLY 3.5
FEET WIDE, so most of it would be reflected back to the laser gun.

[End excerpt.]
--
Keane Arase                   | Thought for the Day:
kean@tank.uchicago.edu        | Drive safely, Drive Offensively.
syskean@uchimvs1.uchicago.edu |   -- An old Chicago rush hour motto :-)

              *  Please file the usual disclaimers here  *

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (03/19/89)

Re: The safety of a police laser radar

Laser surveying instruments that are in essence laser radars or lidars
have been in common use for some time, and do not pose any eye (or
other) safety problems.

Re:  Coherence and beam spreading

Laser beams must be characterized both by their _temporal_ coherence,
which means in essence how monochromatic, or spectrally pure, or
"single frequency" the laser output is; and by their _spatial_
coherence, which means how much coherence there is between the optical
signal, or optical wave, at different pairs of points across the
output beam, or the output aperture, of the laser device.  The two
types of coherence are more or less independent of each other.

A laser beam with high spatial coherence can be transmitted as a very
narrow "diffraction-limited" beam, or focused into a very narrow spot,
on the order of a single wavelength of light in diameter, using
suitable optics.  The smaller the starting diameter of a collimated
beam at the transmitting aperture, the more rapidly it spreads in the
"far field", which is why you use a large transmitting telescope if
you want the smallest spreading anlge in the far field.