[rec.autos] Scanners

tom@mims-iris.uucp (Tom Haapanen) (05/09/89)

In article <1989May8.152034.14415@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
> ...  Thus ALL scanners (the ones which can receive police,
> ambulance, etc.) signals are illegal, as are radar detectors.  You must
> also apply for transmitting at ANY frequency (including radio and television).

> However, anywhere in Canada, no agency is going to charge you if you're using
> a scanner to receive police, ambulance, or aircraft frequencies, as long as
> you're not doing it for a commercial purpose.  (ie. tow-truck operators are
> not allowed to receive police frequencies in order to rush to scenes of
> accidents before the police arrive to investigate).

I was under the impression that scanner use was legal (Radio Shack sells them!)
as long as you did not use it in your car/truck/whatever.  Am I wrong?

P.S. I put ont.general back in the list since this is not about radar
     detectors.  :-)

					\tom haapanen
					tom@mims-iris.UWaterloo.CA
					watmims research group
					university of waterloo

"Now, you didn't really expect my views to agree with my employer's, did you?"