[rec.autos] rec.autos split

jwe@b11.ingr.com (Wray Elliott) (12/12/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

> < Tom discusses dividing rec.autos into two sub-groups >
>
> rec.autos	      Discussions about cars
> rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

What about the splitting rec.autos into the following two groups?

	rec.autos
	rec.autos.foreign

--
Wray Elliott 11-40P (205) 730-6220
Intergraph Corporation   MS CR1105

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (12/13/89)

In article <6807@b11.ingr.com>, Wray Elliott writes:
*What about the splitting rec.autos into the following two groups?

*	rec.autos
*	rec.autos.foreign

i'm not sure that this would be especially effective.  in the
long term, something vaguely similar to it might naturally
occur, though, as various mailing lists mature and move up
to group status; we might then find ourselves with

rec.autos.british
rec.autos.italian
rec.autos.swedish

etc.  i know that when and if the italian-cars list ever gets
to be unmanageably large, i will certainly consider trying to
get rec.autos.italian created.  i suspect that the british-cars
list is unmanagebly large now, but Jim Muller (the list administrator)
wants to keep it a list for the present.

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
..!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty            welty@lewis.crd.ge.com

bellas@ttidca.TTI.COM (Pete Bellas) (12/14/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

> < Tom discusses dividing rec.autos into two sub-groups >
>
> rec.autos	      Discussions about cars
> rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

Good idea but not enough of a split.  How about:

rec.autos		General Discussions about cars
rec.autos.UA.theories	Theories and statistics on Unintended Acceleration
rec.autos.UA.flames	Name calling of people who step on the wrong pedal
rec.autos.radar.detect  Any discussions involving radar detectors
rec.autos.speeding	Discussions of how and why you speed
rec.autos.55		Discussions of why you should only drive 55
rec.autos.tires		Anything concerning tires
rec.autos.snake.oil	Discussions of Slick 50, TUF oil, etc.
rec.autos.racial.slur	Discussions of racial slurs that relate to autos
rec.autos.welty		To convince us that Saabs and Milanos are good looking
rec.autos.US.junk	Admonitions that all US cars are junk
rec.autos.foriegn.junk	Admonitions that all foriegn cars are junk
rec.autos.dweeb		Stories of stupid stunts and manuevers
rec.autos.nyah.nyah	All articles of the type "Mine is better than yours"

There may also be a need for some specialized catagories

rec.autos.stupid.for.sale
	This includes ads for $25,000 VW Rabbits, $10,000 (10 years old)
	Zephyrs, and clapped out $500 beaters located 3000 miles from
	anyone interested.
rec.autos.really.legal
	Discussions of the constitution and the bill of rights

			-Pete-

Disclaimer ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
--
* Pete Bellas                   "Cogito ergo spud"                         *
* Citicorp/TTI                       I think therefore I yam.              *

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (12/14/89)

In article <8447@ttidca.TTI.COM> bellas@ttidca.tti.com (Pete Bellas) writes:
>rec.autos		General Discussions about cars
>rec.autos.UA.theories	Theories and statistics on Unintended Acceleration
>rec.autos.UA.flames	Name calling of people who step on the wrong pedal
>rec.autos.radar.detect  Any discussions involving radar detectors
>rec.autos.speeding	Discussions of how and why you speed
>rec.autos.55		Discussions of why you should only drive 55
>rec.autos.tires		Anything concerning tires
>rec.autos.snake.oil	Discussions of Slick 50, TUF oil, etc.
>rec.autos.racial.slur	Discussions of racial slurs that relate to autos
>rec.autos.welty		To convince us that Saabs and Milanos are good looking
>rec.autos.US.junk	Admonitions that all US cars are junk
>rec.autos.foriegn.junk	Admonitions that all foriegn cars are junk
>rec.autos.dweeb		Stories of stupid stunts and manuevers
>rec.autos.nyah.nyah	All articles of the type "Mine is better than yours"
>
>rec.autos.stupid.for.sale
>rec.autos.really.legal

Great!  I could go along with a split like that...  Sure would make reading
the group easier...

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet