[rec.autos] rec.autos split - CALL FOR DISCUSSION

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/06/89)

The volume in rec.autos has been getting quite high, and I've been
thinking for a while about ideas for splitting the newsgroup to
make it more manageable.  I've given thought to, but discarded,
rec.autos.minivan, rec.autos.radar, rec.autos.55mph, rec.autos.my-
car-is-better-than-yours and rec.autos.all-american-cars-suck.  :)

The blinding flash of innovation that I had this morning made sense
of it all, doing a logical split and even distributing the traffic
fairly evenly.  Consider the following newsgroup descriptions:

rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

Of course, we already have

rec.autos.sport	    Discussions about motorsports
rec.autos.tech	    Discussions about maintaining and repairing cars

Does the traffic volume warrant this?  I believe so; from Nov 27 through
Dec 5, we had 320 articles in rec.autos, or 40 articles a day.  I roughly
divided these into the new categories, and I came up with:

	rec.autos		144
	rec.autos.driving	166
	rec.autos.tech		  9	(misposted into rec.autos)
	alt.flame		  1	(misposted into rec.autos)

What will this gain us?  It will make it possible to easily follow either
the car discussions or the driving discussions only.  If you want to read
both, you can simply subscribe to both groups.

If the discussion is generally positive, I will be posting a call for
votes for rec.autos.driving in accordance with the guidelines after
Christmas, on about Dec 27.

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

"I don't even know what street Canada is on"  -- Al Capone

williamsk@tolstoy.UUCP (Kevin W. Williams) (12/06/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
> The volume in rec.autos has been getting quite high, and I've been
> thinking for a while about ideas for splitting the newsgroup to
> make it more manageable.  I've given thought to, but discarded,
> rec.autos.minivan, rec.autos.radar, rec.autos.55mph, rec.autos.my-
> car-is-better-than-yours and rec.autos.all-american-cars-suck.  :)
>

> rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
> rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

I like it. Any more discussions about speeding, light flashing to signal, etc.
and I will go nuts. And, let's make sure that no group can discuss sudden
acceleration.

Kevin Wayne Williams
     UUCP : ...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax!gtephx!williamsk

               Remember : Brute force has an elegance all its own.

someone@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mike Benefield) (12/07/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
>rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph
	Positively smashing idea chap!!  I usually find myself reading about
20% of the daily articles, and sifting through all the articles can be
tedious.  Lets here it for rec.autos.driving!!!

 Mike Benefield
            UUCP: (seismo!umcp-cs | allegra!hopkins)!jhunix!someone
            Internet: someone@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu | zap!pow!boom!bang
                      ^^^^^^^ this isn't a joke

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/07/89)

Since driving isn't always done in automobiles, I suggest "rec.driving".
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (12/07/89)

In article <257D551C.14828@ateng.com>, Chip Salzenberg writes:
*Since driving isn't always done in automobiles, I suggest "rec.driving".

i'm not convinced this would really work; the discussions that
tom wants to move to rec.autos.driving would be harder to divert
with the froup moved outside of the rec.autos.* hierarchy; the
group would be harder to find, and i'm not convinced that the
non-automotive traffic would actually appear.

i could be convinced otherwise, but for now, i like tom's proposal
better.

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
..!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty            welty@lewis.crd.ge.com

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/07/89)

According to welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty):
>In article <257D551C.14828@ateng.com>, Chip Salzenberg writes:
>*Since driving isn't always done in automobiles, I suggest "rec.driving".
>
>i'm not convinced this would really work [...]

Groups should have appropriate names based on their charter, not on the
current groups where readers might be found.

Once you've started choosing names based on non-namespace criteria, you've
embarked on a journey that can only end at comp.women and sci.aquaria.
--

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (12/08/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
>rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

I think that it's a great idea.  With all of the recent "discussions" about
driving habits, ability, and philosophy, I think we need to break this sort of
thing off into it's own group.  Go for it!!!

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (12/08/89)

In article <257E8524.24017@ateng.com>, Chip Salzenberg writes:
*According to welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty):
*>In article <257D551C.14828@ateng.com>, Chip Salzenberg writes:
*>*Since driving isn't always done in automobiles, I suggest "rec.driving".

*>i'm not convinced this would really work [...]

*Groups should have appropriate names based on their charter, not on the
*current groups where readers might be found.

depends.  what are the other `driving' discussions that you have
in mind.

some naming philosophies are based on the notion of providing groups
to handle existing traffic; we can easily demonstrate traffic from
rec.autos for a driving group.  i still don't see the case for
rec.driving as having been made.

*Once you've started choosing names based on non-namespace criteria, you've
*embarked on a journey that can only end at comp.women and sci.aquaria.

let's not invoke old controversies; doing so runs a good chance of
making this into another religious war over a group name (besides,
i may not necessarily agree with you over comp.women and sci.aquaria.)

richard
--
richard welty    518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
..!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty            welty@lewis.crd.ge.com
     ``i've got a girlfriend with bows in her hair,
         and nothing is better than that'' -- David Byrne

MICHAEL@MAINE (12/08/89)

Since there isn't any rec.trucks and rec.boats really doesn't apply to driving,
that leaves rec.motorcycles as the only other newsgroup that might have an
interest in calling it rec.driving. However, I suspect that the purpose of the
group (as suggested) is to discuss automobile driving, not driving in general.
So rec.autos.driving makes sense in that respect.

I like the idea of rec.autos.driving, personally.

Michael Johnson                           "We are the Priests of the Temples
University of Maine System                 of Syrinx. Our great computers fill
Computing and Data Processing Services     the hallowed halls." - Neil Peart

mikey@ontek.UUCP (Michael E. Lee) (12/09/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
| ... Consider the following newsgroup descriptions:
|
| rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
| rec.autos.driving Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

  I'm pretty sure everyone who reads rec.autos will end up reading
  rec.autos.driving/rec.driving too.  The cross- and mis- posting between
  rec.autos.tech and rec.autos is bad enough.  Threads of conversation
  in rec.autos frequently alternate between "red cars", "going fast"
  "speeding tickets", "accidents" and "unintended acceleration".  Any
  of those topics will end up being cross posted, and instead of reading
  one newsgroups with 50 articles a day, I'll end up reading two newsgroups
  each with the same cross-posted 50 articles in them.  No thanks.

  It's always been my opinion that volume is best dealt with using
  the "k" key, not by splitting newsgroups.

                          _K_r_i_l_l-_M_a_n
                          mikey@ontek.uucp

msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (12/10/89)

In article <832@ontek.UUCP> mikey@ontek.UUCP (Michael E. Lee) writes:
>  I'm pretty sure everyone who reads rec.autos will end up reading
>  rec.autos.driving/rec.driving too.

I will only read rec.autos.driving, and forego rec.autos.

>  It's always been my opinion that volume is best dealt with using
>  the "k" key, not by splitting newsgroups.

I do that, too...  But hopefully I'd have to hit the 'k' key fewer times per
day.
--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
 Internet: msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (12/11/89)

If this proposal comes to a vote I would vote against:
> rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

But I would vote for:
* talk.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph
(or talk.autos.driving or talk.driving.autos if either was widely preferred.)

Followups are directed to news.groups.

--
Mark Brader, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com		C unions never strike!

This article is in the public domain.

peteg@sequent.UUCP (Pete Gibson) (12/12/89)

>In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
>rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

 I thinks this is a great idea
 One more "yes" vote to the tally, please.

 Pete

 peteg@sequent.UUCP
 ..{!tektronix}!sequent!peteg

jnk6393@cec1.wustl.edu (Jordan Nathaniel Kimberg) (12/13/89)

>In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
>rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

Damn good idea...

My thoughts on the matter are that it doesn't hurt people who don't want
the split to subscribe to two newsgroups (unless they have something
against their reading material being organized).

As for us people who could care less about half of the material, it wastes
valuable time "killing" all subjects I don't care about, when I have tons
of other stuff to sort through.

I'm ready to vote...

- Jordan Kimberg
- Wash U in St Louis

gpitcher@edpmgt.UUCP (Glenn Pitcher) (12/13/89)

In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
> The volume in rec.autos has been getting quite high, and I've been
> thinking for a while about ideas for splitting the newsgroup to
> make it more manageable.  I've given thought to, but discarded,
> rec.autos.minivan, rec.autos.radar, rec.autos.55mph, rec.autos.my-
> car-is-better-than-yours and rec.autos.all-american-cars-suck.  :)
>
> The blinding flash of innovation that I had this morning made sense
> of it all, doing a logical split and even distributing the traffic
> fairly evenly.  Consider the following newsgroup descriptions:
>
> rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
> rec.autos.driving   Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph
>
> Of course, we already have
>
> rec.autos.sport	    Discussions about motorsports
> rec.autos.tech	    Discussions about maintaining and repairing cars
>
> Does the traffic volume warrant this?  I believe so; from Nov 27 through
> Dec 5, we had 320 articles in rec.autos, or 40 articles a day.  I roughly
> divided these into the new categories, and I came up with:
>
> 	rec.autos		144
> 	rec.autos.driving	166
> 	rec.autos.tech		  9	(misposted into rec.autos)
> 	alt.flame		  1	(misposted into rec.autos)
>
> What will this gain us?  It will make it possible to easily follow either
> the car discussions or the driving discussions only.  If you want to read
> both, you can simply subscribe to both groups.
>
> If the discussion is generally positive, I will be posting a call for
> votes for rec.autos.driving in accordance with the guidelines after
> Christmas, on about Dec 27.

I agree with this is 100%. Let's do it!!

(Just thought I'd get my two bits in this time)

--
Glenn Pitcher                              UUCP: {crash,ucsd}!edpmgt!gpitcher
Programmer/Analyst &                       ARPA: Too many $$$

whs70@pyuxe.UUCP (W. H. Sohl) (12/14/89)

> In article <315@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
> > The volume in rec.autos has been getting quite high, and I've been
> > thinking for a while about ideas for splitting the newsgroup to
> > make it more manageable.
> >
> > rec.autos	    Discussions about cars
> > rec.autos.driving  Discussions about driving, radar detectors, fines, 55 mph

I like the proposed split, it will make perusing the articles much
more easily done.  Go for it.
Bill Sohl