[rec.autos] Detecting Radar Detectors

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (08/01/90)

to sci.electroics and rec.autos:
jkimble@bally.Bally.COM (The Programmer Guy) writes:

Subject: Detecting Radar Detectors

>I saw a story on the world news a few weeks ago regarding drivers
>(primarily 18-wheelers) using radar detectors.  During the news
>segment, the reporter was talking to a highway patrol officer who was
>using a device to detect if the oncomming vehicle was using a radar
>detector.
>...How do these detectors of radar detectors work? ...

A friend sent me an article from a Virginia newspaper, _Lessburg
Today_, July 13, 1990, entitled "Radar 'Detector Detictor' Cruises
Local Primary Roads."

     "...The $1100 device detects microwaves "leaking" from operating
     radar detectors...  Originally developed in Canada, where radar
     detectors are illegal... The VX6-2 detector is being fornished at
     no cost on a loan basis to the state police by the Insurance
     Institute for Highway Safety, a private research organization
     funded by insurance companies..."

There's a picture of the beast, which is housed in a box aprox. 3 x 4
x 6", with two knobs and a LED on the front.  It looks home-brewed.

---

This article seems to confirm rumors that the insurance cartel wants
to outlaw radar detectors everywhere in the U.S., either through the
legislators they own, or by excommunicating/sh*tlisting policyholders
who use them.

These devices have been used in Canada for several years.  They are
for real, and apparently very effective.

Superhet radar detectors work like little spectrum-analyzers: The
local oscillator (11.5 GHz +/-) is a Gunn diode with a varactor to
sweep its frequency.  The first i.f. is 1 GHz, followed by further
conversion and circuits which detect valid alarm conditions.  K-band
is detected via a harmonic of the local oscillator; I haven't done the
arithmetic.  The advantage of this method is that it searches a wide
band but retains high sensitivity.

The local oscillator, varactor and mixer diodes are all inside a
cavity at the end of the horn antenna.  A series of screws projecting
into the horn form a trap to suppress local oscillator radiation, but
are only partially effective.  Some brands of radar detector mutually
interfere because of local-oscillator radiation.

In WW II, the Germans installed radar detectors on U-boats.  These
also had a problem with local-oscillator radiation, and Allied ASW
aircraft were able to home-in on them without radar.

A detector-detector could probably be made by modifying a conventional
 radar detector:  Mechanically retune its local oscillator to 1 GHz
above or below 11.5 GHz, and remove the trap screws.

--

Frank Reid    W9MKV     reid@ucs.indiana.edu
26 states on 10 GHz.  ZAP!  ;-)

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (08/02/90)

The insurance Gestapo wanting to ban radar detectors is nothing new.  GEICO
tried to refuse policies to people who use them and were ordered to
reinstate the policies in two states, I don't remember which.  THe radar
detector detector picks up the 11.5 Ghz reference signal most detectors
put out.  MAYBE the new Solo, which is pretty low powered and uses
a GaAs FET rather than a Gunn diode may not be detectable by it.  Anybody
on sci.electronics who would know the answer please share it with us.

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (08/02/90)

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:
>The insurance Gestapo wanting to ban radar detectors is nothing new.
>The radar detector detector picks up the 11.5 Ghz reference signal
>most detectors put out.  MAYBE the new Solo, which is pretty low
>powered and uses a GaAs FET rather than a Gunn diode may not be
>detectable by it.  Anybody on sci.electronics who would know the
>answer please share it with us.

The Gunn diode is a simple/inexpensive but inefficient (about 2%) way
to produce microwaves. That's the main reason why most radar detectors
require so much power that it is impractical to operate them from
internal batteries.  (Although the physics are different, you can
think of a Gunn diode as a LED which emits microwaves instead of
light, except that it must be inside a resonant cavity to do so, and
the cavity determines the microwave frequency.)

The new generation of radar detectors (e.g. Solo) with FET local
oscillators require less DC power, however, the local oscillator RF
level is probably the same as in older types, and probably has
equivalent leakage.

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu
"Aha!  The alien Zorg battle cruiser's BMW disguise is flawed by a

chrispi@microsoft.UUCP (Chris Pirih) (08/08/90)

In rec/autos "commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu" might have said:
;
;These devices have been used in Canada for several years.  They are
;for real, and apparently very effective.

I guess what we need now is a radar detector detector detector.
(Or did you already say that?)

---
chris