[comp.windows.news] Cost of NeWS

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (04/24/87)

I have heard Bill Joy say that they (Sun) want NeWS to be a windowing
standard.  They want lots of people to develop software for it.  I have
also heard that when people call up Sun and ask how much will it cost to
get the source code, they have been told that it will be on the order of
$25,000.  This seems to be to be inconsistent with the stated goal.
After all, one of the peachy keen things to do, is to port NeWS to other
machines.

Does anyone know any *FACTS* about pricing for NeWS source code?  Maybe
someone at Sun can answer?

thanks,
pk

--

ARPA:	phaedrus@eneevax.umd.edu
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!mimsy!eneevax!phaedrus

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (04/25/87)

I've spoken with the folks at Sun with regards to licensing NeWS.  As of
two months ago, the license fee was $25,000 for full source.

Pat Wood
Pipeline Associates, Inc.
bellcore!phw5!phw

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (04/25/87)

In article <662@unirot.UUCP>, patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) writes:
> I've spoken with the folks at Sun with regards to licensing NeWS.  As of
> two months ago, the license fee was $25,000 for full source.

What is the price of a source license for the X Window System?

	$00,000

Sometimes marketing disadvantages will nullify whatever technical
advantages a piece of software might have.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

rrt@duke.UUCP (05/01/87)

I was told by Sun that universities can get NeWS source for $1000.

	Russ

root@bellcore.UUCP (05/05/87)