[comp.windows.news] NeWS Applications

sai@SUN.COM (Steve Isaac) (09/07/87)

Date: Mon, 7 Sep 87 08:51:00 PDT
From: sai@Sun.COM (Steve Isaac)
To: NeWS-makers@brillig.umd.edu
Subject: Re: NeWS Applications
Cc: decvax!mcvax!ukc!iclitc!simon@seismo.css.gov, news-interest%jazz@Sun.COM

>> From: mcvax!ukc!iclitc!simon@seismo.css.gov  (The Talking Manual)
>> Subject: anyone out there?
>> To: news-makers@brillig.umd.edu
>>
>> anyone out there developing applications using NeWS?

I just finished putting together a talk that presents case studies of
half a dozen NeWS applications. The talk provides guidelines and hints
for designing, implementing, and debugging NeWS-based programs. There
are actually quite a few people working on NeWS applications out there;
unfortunately, they tend to be kinda busy...

I'll be happy to send you (or anyone else, for that matter) a copy of
this talk.

I'm going to be presenting it at the Sun X.11/NeWS seminar on Sept. 11
in Boston; it might be a bit difficult for you to make your way over
the Atlantic, but I'd encourage anyone else interested in NeWS applications
to try and make it to the Framingham Sheraton. There were a couple of
messages about the seminar on this NeWSgroup already; I won't repeat the
details.

We are going to be doing this seminar in London on Oct. 9 and Tokyo on
Oct. 14. If you can make the London seminar, Simon, I'd like to chat
with you there...

			-- Steve Isaac
			   sisaac@sun.COM

poirot@inria.UUCP ( SPIT) (09/15/87)

	I have read on comp.sys.atari.st that NeWs has been ported on Atari
ST. Is it a joke  ?

If no, where can I have informations about this product?

Thanks in advance.
					Didier Poirot
UUCP: ...!mcvax!inria!poirot

don@BRILLIG.UMD.EDU (Don Hopkins) (09/16/87)

   Date: 15 Sep 87 11:42:12 GMT
   From: mcvax!inria!poirot@seismo.css.gov  ( SPIT)

	   I have read on comp.sys.atari.st that NeWs has been ported on Atari
   ST. Is it a joke  ?

   If no, where can I have informations about this product?

   Thanks in advance.
					   Didier Poirot
   UUCP: ...!mcvax!inria!poirot

Yes, NeWS has been ported to the Atari ST by Mitch Bradley at Sun, and
it was being demonstrated at the Sun Users Group meeting in Washington
at the beginning of last October. The Atari ST was running the NeWS
server, and the clients were running on a Sun to which it was
connected via a serial line. As far as I know, it was an internal
"proof of concept" port of an earlier version, and was used to weed
out Unix dependancies. I don't think the port of NeWS that was being
shown on the Atari at SUG is a product, however, but that doesn't mean
that there isn't somebody else doing such a port. I'd be very
interested in hearing from people who are working on such things.

	-Don

mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (09/17/87)

In reference to NeWS on a Atari ST, I will remind people that a couple
of months ago some announnced he had ported the NeWS server to the
amiga.  Sun's reply was that the product could NOT distributed in any
form.   Post to comp.sys.amiga if you want to hear the whole story.

				/Bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@zodiac.bitnet

root@sbcs.UUCP (Root) (09/18/87)

> 	I have read on comp.sys.atari.st that NeWs has been ported on Atari
> ST. Is it a joke  ?

Actually, it is not a joke.  Ports of NeWS have been done for the
Commodore Amiga (by me), Atari ST, and the Mac-II.  I won't mention
the parties who did the ST, & Mac-II ports - I'm sure if they want to
be contacted, we'll hear from them :-)..

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook

pierson@encore.UUCP (Dan Pierson) (09/18/87)

In reference to NeWS on small machines: I was at Sun's Framingham, MA NeWS
seminar last Friday.  Representatives from two companies who are doing such
ports were among the attendees.  A company named "eXP" is doing a Macintosh
port ((617)-868-8215); another company was doing an Amiga 2000 port.  One
of the Sun speakers mentioned the Atari port, but said that they had no
intention to market it.
--

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UseNet: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax,ihnp4}!encore!pierson

Cerys@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Daniel L. Cerys") (09/19/87)

> In reference to NeWS on a Atari ST, I will remind people that a couple
> of months ago some announnced he had ported the NeWS server to the
> amiga.  Sun's reply was that the product could NOT distributed in any
> form.

SUN held a NeWS technical seminar near Boston last week where they
described what could be done.  Of course, if you aren't using their
sources, you can do anything you want; SUN doesn't have any claim to
Postscript protocols.  There are commercial licenses you can obtain from
SUN for their "Portable NeWS" product.  I think the number they quoted
was something like $25K for all source and distribution rights.  With
X11 getting so much popularity, I consider even this to be restrictive.

SUN provided a list of all of the NeWS servers that have been
done.  The Amiga and MacIntosh II ports were done by third parties who
were present and introduced at the seminar.  The other ports are:
SUN, VAXstationII, Silicon Graphics, RasterTech, Atari ST, Apollo
DN3000, and HP9000.  I can't say anything about the availability of
these.

trevor@GRASP.CIS.UPENN.EDU (Trevor Darrell) (09/20/87)

   From: "Daniel L. Cerys" <Cerys@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
   >SUN provided a list of all of the NeWS servers that have been
   >done.  The Amiga and MacIntosh II ports were done by third parties who
   >were present and introduced at the seminar.  The other ports are:
   >SUN, VAXstationII, Silicon Graphics, RasterTech, Atari ST, Apollo
   >DN3000, and HP9000.  I can't say anything about the availability of
   >these.

Do you know who did the HP9000 or Vaxstation port? How they could be
contacted?  I assume that a university site that plunks down $1K for
NeWS source can use these ports?

For our environment, at least, the HP9000 and uVaxII availability is
critical if NeWS is to have any hope of replacing X as a local standard.

Any policy from sun out there?

--trevor