[comp.windows.news] Does NeWS support an X server yet?

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/29/87)

In article <8709241630.AA01578@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) writes:
>I've noticed two apparent glitches with NeWS related things, and am wondering
>if we can get pointers to fixes (NeWS 1.0):
>
>(1) Don, I load your `piemenu.ps' in user.ps and everything works fine, but
>for some reason trying to bring up the little substitute X menu inside an
>xdemo (like `xload') causes the server to choke, and any subsequent tries yield
>nothing.  Any ideas?

This implies that the current 'beta?' version of NeWS supports X in
some way.  Does it?

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

lear@aramis.rutgers.edu (eliot lear) (09/29/87)

There is some X support in 1.0 NeWS.  Unfortunately, that support does
not include process input.  Xclock works ok, however...
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@rutgers.edu]

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/29/87)

In article <1257@ius2.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>This implies that the current 'beta?' version of NeWS supports X in
>some way.  Does it?

There's a PostScript library included with NeWS 1.0 that implements
some of the output parts of the X10 protocol.  This means that X10R4
clients that don't express any interest in input events run fine (e.g.
xclock, xload), but those that want key and mouse input events (e.g.
xterm, emacs) die with protocol errors.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277